“Covered walking distance from the airport Terminals - quite convenient.”

City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Miami Beach, Florida
“Covered walking distance from the airport Terminals - quite convenient.”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

On my way to central Africa, I had to transit in Johannesburg for a couple of hours before I continue to my final destination. Unfortunately for me, my incoming flight from London was delayed, so I missed my connection. And because there was not flight available later in the day or the following day, I ended up being forced to spend 2 nights, totally unplanned, in JNB. To top everything up, my final flight being a separated ticket from the rest, I had no choice but to take care of my own accommodation, penalty etc…out of my pocket.

Having flown for over 24hrs, I was exhausted, needed a shower and a good rest. So after re-booking my flight, I looked around, from the Terminal, I could see 2 or 3 hotel names. I asked around how close those hotels were, and I was told that they were quite close, and that the closest one was literally within walking distance (5-7min) without even leaving the Terminal/airport. I didn’t even bother to ask for the price, I just wanted to rest. So I grabbed my luggage and walked to the hotel by following the signs from the Terminal. In no time, I was at the reception and was welcomed by a very friendly staff. It wasn’t even 12h00’pm yet, but she had no problem getting a room for me on the spot without reservation and letting me in right away, almost 2hrs before the regular check-in time. I really appreciated.

The cost for the night was just a little over 100$, and that was because I didn’t book in advance. But at that point, I didn’t really care.

Once in the room, I felt really great. The room was clean, smelled great and it was quite spacious for me. The bathroom was also very clean and spacious with the usual amenities. There was a shower and a tub, which tells you a spacious the bathroom was. I took a hot and long shower and dozed off!

Also, there is a safe in the room, which to me is very convenient; additionally to that, there is a kettle and some assorted teas, coffee, sugar, milk, etc… should you want to make your own without having to go out.
In the lobby, they have complimentary snacks, tea and coffee that you can have anytime you want.

The hotel has a gym, a decent pool and a restaurant that only serves light meal. So if you are looking for a steak or something more consistent, you will have to go either outside or back to the airport. They also provide complimentary internet, but only 1hr per day per device. I didn’t quite understand the point to giving only 1hr Internet access per day, but that’s how it is. I was even told that it used to be 15 min only, so I guess I was lucky ;). However, if you want full internet, they are going to charge you after your complimentary hour is exhausted. I didn’t ask how much they were charging for Internet, I didn’t need to. I had my laptop, my IPad, my IPod and 2 smart phones, which all together were giving me 5 hours of complimentary per day…it worked for me!

Overall, I must say that I’m glad that I picked City Lodge at O.R. Tambo airport; you couldn’t get a better location from the airport. The staff is super friendly and ready to assist at any moment. My 2 nights there soften a bit my frustration for having missed my connection. The location, the service and the accommodation made a difference. If I ever spend a night in JNB again, I will not hesitate booking a room at City Lodge, it’s worth it!

Room Tip: Don’t forget to grab the complimentary muffins at the front desk when you check-out in the morning.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank D_Muteba
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for the amazing review. We are so pleased to hear that our staff were so helpful and that you enjoyed all our facilities. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This 3 star hotel is within easy covered walking distance from the O R Tambo Airport Terminal. A good stay over before flying on or a good venue for a meeting or small conference. But unfortunately only available during the day. The rooms are fair size and clean. The breakfast is good and the service friendly.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Mauritius
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It is very conveniently located as it is directly connected to the airport. The service is usually very good, although the staff do not always come to you to offer their help.
As a business hotel, it would be nice if the rooms were fitted with a basic iron and an ironing board. Some other business hotels nearby offer this.
The breakfast is as always excellent.
The showers are very good, but it seems I always get a room whereby the water just overflows and gets spilled on the bathroom floor even with the cabin door closed...
Apart from that, this is definitely a hotel I would recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the breakfast. Also, we will definitely look into the iron request, thanks. Hope to see you again soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We like this airport hotel because it is basically connected to Tambo and maybe a 5 minute slow walk. You do not have to deal with the shuttles or anyone "wanting" to help you for a "price", when you arrive at Tambo you are there in a few minutes and when you are ready to leave, well you just go, no waiting for the shuttles, perfect for an overnight in Joburg. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable and quiet. There is a nice pool and the food is ok, service is very good. This is not a "fabulous" hotel yet it is always our first choice due to the location & basic comforts. A few times when we booked late there were not any reservations so we have had to book another airport hotel, in other words if you are going to stay here you best make your reservations in advance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mi-Dan20
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank for the review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This Airport Hotel is fairly priced for those travelers who need a short sojourn at OR Tambo in Jo-burg. Walking distance from the main terminals with ample and secure parking as well as various restaurants within the terminal. Breakfast is modest and if i were you would eat at the terminal restaurants. Typical of Airport hotels, other usual hotel services are missing and ensure you hand in your laundry in time else you will have to leave it behind as it seems not to be in-house.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the road and the Gautrain due to airplane noise, i was told rooms are sound proof...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank seme l
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for the review. We hope to have you visit us again soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had to stay at the City Lodge, OR Tambo International Airport during a mini-crises for one night recently and it was rather a bland experience.

Luckily, I knew how to get there but there is no signage that would lead one to believe that the airport is just over the road from the airport and, although expensive, is far less expensive than the Intercontinental whioch is also over the road and much closer to the terminal. For foreign travellers, they would never know how to get to this hotel as one has to walk through an undercover bridge as if walking to the multi-story car park. Even then, the levels are somewhat confusing...

A lot more signage and marketing is required but first things first - lower your rates, think about Industry discounts, and train the staff to be a little more friendly and accomodating.

The room rates are expensive, and the room I stayed in was tiny and had a view of a rather inattractive courtyard. There was no reading matter except for the normal Hotel info. Boring indeed. Possibly a range of daily newspapers in both languages could be provided?

Reception staff were rather non-chalant and seemed to be "doing me a favour". As I checked in rather late and was out again very early the following morning, there was no opportuity to try the breakfast buffet. Although the staff knew what the situation was, nothing was offered and nobody went "out of their way" to even offer anything special. Mind you, I've learned to expect nothing more.

Room service took ages and I simply has no further option but to cancel the order eventually. My only other option was to go back to the airport to eat at the Mug and Bean Restaurant which is open 24 hours a day - thankfully.

Overall, not a good experience at all and hopefully one which I will never have to repeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MeeAndGee
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for the review. We would also like to thank you for the feedback. We sincerely apologize for your bad experience, this is something we'll definitely look into as we do with these matters. Please note we do not provide room service as part of our normal operations. We believe that we do offer value for money compared to alternative quality accommodation at the airport. Signage is in the process of being improved. Thank you again for your comments, we do hope you will try us again
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel is located within walking distance of the terminal and is connected to the terminals via an undercover walkway.
Ideal if you arrive late in Jhb and need to spend the night before heading off somewhere else. There is no minibar but there is a bar in the hotel plus room service. Buffet breakfast is veryreasonably priced and has god fruit, cereals and a range of cooked options - eggs cooked while you wait.
Rooms are small but adequate and TV includes 3 sports channels as well as movie options.
MaIn gripes were aircon was not that efficient in my room and wifi is only free for first 60 mins

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Peter N
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and rooms. However we do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the aircon. We will look into this matter. Hope to see you again soon