“Robbed at gunpoint on the doorstep of hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Premier Hotel OR Tambo
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Robbed at gunpoint on the doorstep of hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Of course I cannot say that Premier is to blame for this incident, which happened the second we stepped off the transfer bus from the airport at the door of the hotel within the car park. However, I would urge other travellers not to stay here due to the incredibly poor security and the appalling way in which the incident was handled.

Firstly, it transpired that two of the gunmen who robbed us had been sitting in the hotel, armed, for several hours that evening waiting for the transfer bus to arrive. In a city with Jo'burg's reputation one would hope staff would exercise more vigilance! The other gunmen were able to enter the car park which is secured by way of a simple barrier, no doubt because they waved a gun from their car. There simply must be more robust safety measures than this in this area! It speaks volumes that the houses around the hotel are surrounded by electric fencing.

Secondly, after the incident occurred the staff were totally inept. My partner and I were left with nothing that night bar the clothes on our backs and were not provided with any basics such as toiletries (except for a toothbrush which we specifically requested). The police attended the hotel to take statements and when they finally finished several hours later around midnight, my partner and I had to wait a further half an hour for the staff to sort out which room we were staying in. Given that this was a month old booking, I did not understand why this was the case. The following morning despite this terrifying ordeal a maid was knocking our door chasing us to check out! The police had left a crime number at the reception for us which was lost.

I understand it is a common occurrence for criminals to target airport shuttles and on that basis I would encourage other travellers who are not planning to stay in Jo'burg city centre to seek a hotel which requires no such transport e.g. Intercontinental which is literally outside the airport.

The room itself was in any event dark and very basic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke R
PremierHotelsSocial, Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Luke R

Your entire ordeal was most unfortunate and regretted, and we are mindful that your holiday to our beautiful country was marred. Please be assured that every effort is made to safeguard the well-being of our Guests and Associates, and this outlook and stance will never change, nor be compromised.

The recently upgraded CCTV system has provided us with detailed footage which has been forwarded to the South African Police Services, and hopefully the culprits will be apprehended.

With regards to the security personnel, I am very comfortable with the level and quality of guarding that I have on site, as well as the professionalism and vigilance displayed. I note your comment pertaining to the fact that the culprits had been sitting in the bar of the hotel, however, it is challenging to approach ordinary citizens who are dressed appropriately and behave in a manner befitting the establishment.

Under the difficult circumstances presented, I was most pleased with the manner and efficiency of my Associates who dealt with all persons, yourselves included, and coordinated the emergency services, and councillor assistance to be onsite within minutes of the ordeal, and to provide the necessary assistance and support. You indicated to my staff that you were not in need of any assistance.

In closing, nobody anywhere is immune to such horrible and devious acts and, to this end, I was disappointed to learn of the guests in a 4-star hotel in London who were attacked, beaten and robbed of their belongings in their bedroom.

Notwithstanding the aforementioned statement which is for information only, and most certainly does not remedy your situation, please be assured that we will reassess our delivery, and where possible and plausible, make the necessary refinements and enhancements.

I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back, and indeed should this be the case, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may personally oversee your every requirement.

Richard Bray
Group Operations Manager
Premier Hotels and Resorts (Pty) Ltd.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel while waiting for our flight out of Johannesburg. We booked on line so the price was quite good for a suite. We found the staff very friendly and helpful, the food was very good and the tours they offered were reasonably priced. The location close to the airport is ideal for connecting flights and their free shuttle service runs like clock work. I must mention that there was no aircraft noise even though we were so close to the airport. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a king sized bed and you get a suite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your compliments.

On your next stay you may want to also try the Gautrain to connect you to Sandton and the rest of Gauteng.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

General Manager Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Not knowing this hotel previously, my partner and I booked an overnight stay to be close to the airport for an early morning flight. What a pleasant surprise. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, the rooms are very spacious, modern and clean and the service was outstanding (free shuttle service to the airport). Importantly, the rates were reasonable too! We arrived at the hotel on a Friday evening, had a rather pricey dinner in the main restaurant (consider taking the return shuttle to the airport just 1.2 km away for a wider variety of more affordable restaurants) and enjoyed a night cap around the pool then slipped into crisp sheets for a good night's sleep. Our wake up call was prompt and after a great shower we were whisked to the airport feeling fresh and relaxed for our holiday ahead. While our stay was short - never got to the gym for example - it was the perfect start to our holiday. Thank you Premier - and to the GM Mr Bredenoord!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Traveller

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
When next you stay, please do try our other menus that give you a variety of options.
We have an a la carte in the restaurant, the Bar/Lounge menu with lighter items as well as a
24 hour Room Service menu.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon at the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

General Manager Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Went here for an evening meal. The restaurant is well furnished and the staff are pleasant, but the food is very poor, mostly cold with a strong sense it had been reheated several times. It is expensive. Would much prefer Spur at the airport at half the price or less.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments will be addressed with my Associates to enhance our service offering.

We take pride in our restaurant as we offer Buffet and a la Carte menus. Our buffet offers a wide variety of choice from starters to mouth-watering desserts.

Please contact me so that I can arrange for you to enjoy a complimentary dinner and experience our quality.

PREMIER HOTELS & RESORTS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for my two nights in Jo'burg. My room was really nice and clean. I had a spacious room with a huge walk out balcony (I think one of the few rooms that had this.) The breakfast offered in their restaurant was great and had one of the better cups of coffee I had in Africa. I found it hard to get US style black coffee but they had it.

The bar is wanting. Nice bartenders but they do not stock the bar with much. Dealing with cash at the bar and the restaurant seemed to be out of the ordinary for them and took a committee to work out.

A very tastefully decorated hotel.

Room Tip: Get the schedule for the airport transport van ahead of time and don't miss it! I missed mine b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravTF
PremierHotelsSocial, Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your positive review.
Your comment pertaining to the bar, and the challenges of stock on hand and paying by cash are noted and will be addressed.
As an avid coffee drinker, I am delighted that you approve on my chosen blend.
We look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo in future.

Richard Bray
Group Operations Manager
Premier Hotels and Resorts (Pty) Ltd.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is one of the hotels that is not connected or next to the terminal, and is worth the free transit if you are staying a little longer or holding meetings in the area. The rooms are modern and spacious and big open plan bathrooms are great. The breakfast was very good and service excellent. Did not use the gym on this occasion.
I actually got one of the suites and if you are staying longer it is worth the extra.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a few nights, try the suites.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Traveller
Thank for the excellent review. We are glad that we have succeeded in providing you with a pleasant stay.
We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon at Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo.

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I had occasion to take international guests to this hotel. They had booked the hotel on line. I had not heard of the hotel and initially raised an eyebrow when they told me about it.

What a surprise was waiting for me. The security guard at the entrance gate was polite, efficient and welcoming. We had no sooner parked and there was a porter with a bright South African smile waiting at the car.

At reception we were welcomed enthusiastically by an efficient, friendly and professional young lady. The process took only a few minutes. While my friends were busy with this I took in the stunning decor in the hotel. A definite taste of Africa but absolutely stunning and very tasteful.

Enroute to our room we passed the entrance to the restaurant. With no encouragement the manager came forward and asked if we would be joining them for dinner and could her reserve a table.

The next very pleasant surprise was the room. It is of a world class standard with stunning decor, a very comfortable bed, quality furnishings and fittings. The bathroom was modern and well equipped.

We went down to dinner and that was another great experience - superb service, wonderful food and overall an experience that left me feeling that this was a world class establishment.

I certainly would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone - even the fussiest traveller.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Traveller

Thank you very much for your positive comments. It is very rewarding to hear that we have succeeded in making happy Ambassadors for the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo.
We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon.