“Nice!”

Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Munich, Germany
“Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Big rooms including big bathroom, very clean! Breakfast is huge and great! Free shuttle to the airport every 30 min.
Wlan was first not working inside the room, but could change the room easily and fast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your feedback. We have upgraded the WiFi offering which is operational throughout the hotel.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon at Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo.

General Manager Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Covington GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Had a great two night stay in April 2014 at Premier Hotel. This is a very nice hotel, about a 4 star American equivalent. Very nice rooms, conference center and ok food - all at a fair price. Staff was especially friendly and helpful to our group of 4 Americans. It is convenient to the OR Tambo airport and had a reliable shuttle service to and from it.

Room Tip: We had a queen room one night and a king size bed the next night. The queen room is completely adequ...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Traveller

Thank you for the positive feedback.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon to the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo.

General Manager Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The Premier OR Tambo Hotel near the OR Tambo International Airport is about a 10 minute shuttle ride (free shuttle) from the airport. We were arriving in Johannesburg from a non-stop flight from New York at 8 AM. Prior to traveling, I contacted the hotel to make sure we could check in as soon as we arrived, and the reservations staff assured me we would have access to our room as soon as we arrived. That was true and the staff were very accommodating. We checked into the hotel at about 9 am. The first problem we encountered was the flush mechanism (wall mounted) for the toilet did not work, as the face plate was missing. The hotel immediately moved us to another room. In the second room, we had another problem, and the hotel moved us again to a 3rd room. Thankfully, the 3rd room was fine and we were able to settle in quickly and take a nap after a long flight.
The rooms are large, nicely furnished and recently done. The bed was comfortable. There was a desk with plenty of plugs for all the electronics that needed charging.
Breakfast was included with the room, and was quite good. The hotel has a large buffet in the dining room, and it included all sorts of hot and cold options, pastries, and a custom egg bar.
If we hadn't had the room problems on check in, I would have given a 4 star rating to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Traveller
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. Our rooms should be perfect the first time and there really is no excuse but unfortunately sometimes the human factor creeps in. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon at Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo.

WR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

At first - first impression - I thought this hotel and conference venue looked pretty good. Unfortunately, after the first few encounters, my "first impression" fell to zero.

1. The steam room in the "wellness centre" is not working.
2. Mobile coverage (both SA providers) are terrible to zero! You constantly have to mover around to get any form of reception to make or receive calls. And stand still, if you move you might drop the call!
3. WiFi is not helping either. Apart from being very slow, it often did not want to connect to the free wifi or did not show the landing page.
4. The constant landing and departing of aeroplanes is really not something that one easily get used to. Unfortunately the hotel management can't do much about that, but it did affect my "happiness" factor.
5. Bed, Breakfast & dinner to them means - eat in the Restaurant, finish & klaar. I wanted to order room service but was not allowed; not even by offering to pay the tray fee. (I did eventually won the fight but really.....), I don't want to eat buffet every day, or with other guests sitting alone at my table.
6. Ordering a sirloin steak, I expected a nice juicy soft piece of meat. It was dry, and way over-cooked. The veggies probably came from a freezer bag.
7. The conference included soft drinks, but apparently decanting a lemonade with a dash of cola tonic does not count.

Some minor other issues, point is....

As a conference centre, the facilities are good but the internet connectivity spoiled everything. For that, I would not recommend this site for conferencing, except if you absolutely don't care about mobile reception or internet connection.

As for accommodation, the room was clean and comfortable as well as the bathroom but if other things also determine your "happiness" factor, this hotel can be passed.

Room Tip: Technically, rooms facing away from the airport should be quieter, but at that noise level I'm n...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Whydoyouneedascreenn
PremierHotelsSocial, Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your input.

The wellness centre is currently not in operation, as such the steam room has not been commissioned. The only aspect of this facility that is fully functional is the gym.
I am surprised by your comment referencing the Wi-Fi and mobile coverage which, having undergone an extensive upgrade, is normally most stable and hassle free. I will certainly investigate this issue.

When conferencing, we are obliged to follow instruction of the organizers, and as such, all attendees are treated with the same professional courtesy when it comes to services rendered. You could well imagine the chaos that would unfold if each delegate acted independently.
Your comment pertaining to the sirloin steak has been addressed with the chef to appreciate that we are buying the best quality and that the preparation thereof is perfectly executed.

I trust that you will return to Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo, and should that be the case, please contact me so that I may oversee your exact requirements.

Richard Bray
Group Operations Manager
Premier Hotels and Resorts (Pty) Ltd.
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Of course I cannot say that Premier is to blame for this incident, which happened the second we stepped off the transfer bus from the airport at the door of the hotel within the car park. However, I would urge other travellers not to stay here due to the incredibly poor security and the appalling way in which the incident was handled.

Firstly, it transpired that two of the gunmen who robbed us had been sitting in the hotel, armed, for several hours that evening waiting for the transfer bus to arrive. In a city with Jo'burg's reputation one would hope staff would exercise more vigilance! The other gunmen were able to enter the car park which is secured by way of a simple barrier, no doubt because they waved a gun from their car. There simply must be more robust safety measures than this in this area! It speaks volumes that the houses around the hotel are surrounded by electric fencing.

Secondly, after the incident occurred the staff were totally inept. My partner and I were left with nothing that night bar the clothes on our backs and were not provided with any basics such as toiletries (except for a toothbrush which we specifically requested). The police attended the hotel to take statements and when they finally finished several hours later around midnight, my partner and I had to wait a further half an hour for the staff to sort out which room we were staying in. Given that this was a month old booking, I did not understand why this was the case. The following morning despite this terrifying ordeal a maid was knocking our door chasing us to check out! The police had left a crime number at the reception for us which was lost.

I understand it is a common occurrence for criminals to target airport shuttles and on that basis I would encourage other travellers who are not planning to stay in Jo'burg city centre to seek a hotel which requires no such transport e.g. Intercontinental which is literally outside the airport.

The room itself was in any event dark and very basic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke R
Dear Luke R

Your entire ordeal was most unfortunate and regretted, and we are mindful that your holiday to our beautiful country was marred. Please be assured that every effort is made to safeguard the well-being of our Guests and Associates, and this outlook and stance will never change, nor be compromised.

The recently upgraded CCTV system has provided us with detailed footage which has been forwarded to the South African Police Services, and hopefully the culprits will be apprehended.

With regards to the security personnel, I am very comfortable with the level and quality of guarding that I have on site, as well as the professionalism and vigilance displayed. I note your comment pertaining to the fact that the culprits had been sitting in the bar of the hotel, however, it is challenging to approach ordinary citizens who are dressed appropriately and behave in a manner befitting the establishment.

Under the difficult circumstances presented, I was most pleased with the manner and efficiency of my Associates who dealt with all persons, yourselves included, and coordinated the emergency services, and councillor assistance to be onsite within minutes of the ordeal, and to provide the necessary assistance and support. You indicated to my staff that you were not in need of any assistance.

In closing, nobody anywhere is immune to such horrible and devious acts and, to this end, I was disappointed to learn of the guests in a 4-star hotel in London who were attacked, beaten and robbed of their belongings in their bedroom.

Notwithstanding the aforementioned statement which is for information only, and most certainly does not remedy your situation, please be assured that we will reassess our delivery, and where possible and plausible, make the necessary refinements and enhancements.

I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back, and indeed should this be the case, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may personally oversee your every requirement.

Richard Bray
Group Operations Manager
Premier Hotels and Resorts (Pty) Ltd.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel while waiting for our flight out of Johannesburg. We booked on line so the price was quite good for a suite. We found the staff very friendly and helpful, the food was very good and the tours they offered were reasonably priced. The location close to the airport is ideal for connecting flights and their free shuttle service runs like clock work. I must mention that there was no aircraft noise even though we were so close to the airport. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a king sized bed and you get a suite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your compliments.

On your next stay you may want to also try the Gautrain to connect you to Sandton and the rest of Gauteng.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Not knowing this hotel previously, my partner and I booked an overnight stay to be close to the airport for an early morning flight. What a pleasant surprise. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, the rooms are very spacious, modern and clean and the service was outstanding (free shuttle service to the airport). Importantly, the rates were reasonable too! We arrived at the hotel on a Friday evening, had a rather pricey dinner in the main restaurant (consider taking the return shuttle to the airport just 1.2 km away for a wider variety of more affordable restaurants) and enjoyed a night cap around the pool then slipped into crisp sheets for a good night's sleep. Our wake up call was prompt and after a great shower we were whisked to the airport feeling fresh and relaxed for our holiday ahead. While our stay was short - never got to the gym for example - it was the perfect start to our holiday. Thank you Premier - and to the GM Mr Bredenoord!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Traveller

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
When next you stay, please do try our other menus that give you a variety of options.
We have an a la carte in the restaurant, the Bar/Lounge menu with lighter items as well as a
24 hour Room Service menu.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon at the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.