“Good for Transit”

Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Brisbane, Australia
“Good for Transit”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel is reasonably priced for 1 night stopover near the airport. I booked this hotel because of free pickup from airport. Just have to walk for a few minutes for pickup. There was no one waiting with the name of the hotel so you have to wait until the pickup vehicle turns up. I waited for about 20 mins.

The area looks a bit unsafe to walk around. Once I checked in, I did not go out. The dinner is served in the hotel for a reasonable price. The food is not exceptional but adequate.

Adequate for transit.

Room Tip: Good for transit
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pune
Reviewed 26 November 2013

If I have to sum up the entire hotel in one word, it would be 'efficient'. This is both good and bad. Good because the hotel arranges and provides for all the most necessary things (shuttle service, good breakfast, efficient booking, wifi, etc) with efficiency, but there is nothing extra in terms of ambience, luxury etc. The property is close to the airport so ideal for a short stay in Joburg or when in transit. It is clean and neat and serves good breakfast.
That being said, there are shortfalls in the room itself - the lighting is a bit inadequate, and privacy is weird. The bathroom door is transparent, and in front of the mirror! So if you are sharing the room, if someone is occupying the toilet, thats what you would see if you went to comb your hair in the mirror at that time! The shower space is cramped.
So, if you are looking for a reasonable priced accesible hotel, you can stay here. But if Joburg tours are on your itinirary, avoid this because it is far from the touristy places and not good enough for more than a day or two of stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mmabatho, North-West, South Africa
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The first impression last, and from reception to the room, it was just a disappointment. When a person shift is done there is a handover but the receptionists acted like the person had gone home with the office.
The waitress was rude like she is forced to do her work. She was very cold and uninterested

The hotel rooms are suppose to be warm and inviting, but this was cold, from design to pillows.

Very unhappy client

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ethel M
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Aviator Hotel OR Tambo is a clean and comfortable hotel which is close to the airport, which makes it very convenient for traveler. The staff at this hotel are very friendly and welcoming.
There is secured parking for those whole are traveling via car. I also saw a hotel shuttle bus, I didn't use it as I was driving. If you are driving to this hotel there are very limited signage, so be on the look out. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. My room had a musty smoke smell as if it was a smokers room that I booked (which I didn't). Although it didn't really bother me. There is WIFI in the rooms, but the signal is very weak and we couldn't connect. The breakfast was a great spread. They have a swimming pool and and restaurant for those who need an evening meal or lunch.
I would stay at this hotel again, as it is the perfect stop over hotel for 1 night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerRose
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Like most of the people we booked this hotel to transit... the hotel was ok the room was average and the roof of the bathroom was failling. We mentionned on the booking that we wanted a room facing the airport and it was not the case. The woman at the reception was not helpful and quite rude. The restaurant was good especially the pizza my partner got the buffet that was average.

To be honest, it is easy enough to get transfer with the Gautrain so next time we will spend the night to a different place around Sandton even for a transit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

If like me you want a hotel that I close to Johannesburg airport so that you can get some rest while transiting, don't stay here. The airport shuttle pick up is completely unreliable. I have stayed here twice, and both times the pre-arranged transfer only arrived after I called the hotel, after I got sick of waiting for the bus.

On Nov 3rd I arrived from Nairobi at 7.15pm. A few days before, I had called to organise an airport transfer (my emails to organise this were never answered). The plane arrived on time, and it took me until 7.45 to clear immigration and customs. At 8.15pm I called the Aviator and was told that it was on its way. It arrived at 8.35pm. Once I got on the mini-bus other people, who were on the same flight as me, had gotten out of the airport quicker and just missed a transfer at 7.30pm. It is a 10minute drive, so why did it take over an hour for a shuttle to come back. As the Aviator knew I was arriving on the 7.15pm flight, why did they not come either wait, or come back immediately after delivery people to the hotel (those who they picked up at 7.30).
The driver gave a half-hearted apology for the delay, but gave no explanation. The hotel reception also couldn't explain the delay.
Then the room I was given smelt like year old cigarettes, so I had to change, and ended up sleeping in a single bed.
Instead of being in bed by 9pm, so I could get a good nights sleep before I headed back to the airport, it was much later than that.

This wasn't the first time the Aviator's airport transfer let me down. On the 10th September, I arrived in Johannesburg at the start of my Africa trip. Also pre-arranged an airport transfer when I arrived on a flight at 5.50am. It was after 7am, after we called the hotel, that the transfer arrived.

I was back in Johannesburg on the 12 November, and I stayed at the City Lodge at the airport. It is more expensive but no transfer is required.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel was selected for the location & availability to the airport. I had a group of 7 friends who were traveling to Cape Town and then a safari. This was a perfect location with transportation provided to handle all of our arrangements. The shuttle service was very easy to access. The restaurant provided a menu with a good selection for all. The food was excellent and the service even better. Rooms were very clean and had a modern feel. The breakfast which was included was the best provided of any hotel stay during our 14 day trip. I would recommend this hotel and I would definitely book it again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family