“Good layover hotel”

Peermont Metcourt Suites at Emperors Palace
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great hotel to rest the night if you have a layover at Johannesburg or if you want a very safe location in Johannesburg. The whole compound was quite beautiful. Had a lot of restaurants and a casino as well. Service was great and staff friendly. Free shuttle to and from the airport so you need not worry about cabs and safety. The check out time is 11am and you can extend it on a per hour basis though it is quite expensive (100Rand or 10USD an hour). The rooms are huge and well equipped but they have a very businesslike feel. Very clean but not very cosy. Altogether had an alright experience. 4 stars because the service was excellent and the free shuttle.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We booked the Metcourt Hotel on our first night in Johannesburg and went on booking.com to rebook but booked the suites by mistake, which the staff said were better than the hotel, the only difference is that it was a bigger room, we preffered the hotel rooms which were compact but more cosy than the suites, not that we were worried about security really but the Suites can be accessed by anyone at all attending the Casino area without any checks, the Casino area was mega busy and very noisy we chose a restaurant outside for the peace and quite.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel because of its close proximity to the Airport and the provision of a free shuttle service. Whilst the hotel fulfilled these objectives it was quite disappointing from a number of perspectives.

Firstly, unlike any other hotel I have stayed in, you could not put anything on a tab for later payment! At no stage during check-in was this explained, nor was any request made to take a credit card to offset any such charges. You just didn't seem to be able to do it - which was quite embarrassing. I had laundry done and had to pay for it on delivery to my room. I found this quite archaic! These services were automatic in remote wilderness areas of Uganda - and every other place we stayed on our trip - except this hotel.

In addition there were no fridges in the rooms which in itself is not necessarily an issue - except when there is no room service available!!

Whilst the hotel advertised a free shuttle service every 20 minutes to the airport you need to be mindful that this is an indication only and should not be relied upon. We found on both occasions we were going to the airport that the shuttle was late. On one occasion it skipped one slot completely and arrived 40 minutes after the previous. This could be a trap if you were relying on it being on time.

The rooms varied on the two separate nights we stayed there. The first (ground floor) was very noisy and sleep quality poor. The second (room 211) was much better.

A pretty forgettable experience overall and I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you must stay here avoid ground floor rooms based on our experience.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at Metcourt Suites for one night when we arrived in Johannesburg before flying to Hoedspruit airport the next day. I had a local tour booked at 1pm and my room was not ready when we arrived at 12:45pm. I asked to put my luggage in my friends room (both couples had a room ready for them). When I returned from my tour at 6pm the hotel had given my room to another person and I was forced to have a room in the hotel across the road. I was told I would be upgraded but the room was tiny with the toilet and shower in the room itself. I was looking forward to a bath, but there wasn't one. The hotel staff paid for a cheap meal for me and one glass of wine. I was unable to eat breakfast with my friends as they were in a different hotel and I ate alone instead. When we returned to the hotel 4 nights later for an overnight stay before leaving Johannesburg the hotel had already arranged for us to have rooms next to each other. The rooms were dimly lit with no natural light. They were very depressing and we left early the next day just to get out of the rooms. The room was much bigger than the hotel across the road and had a good bath which was separate from the bedroom. There is a good food court connected to the hotel which also leads through to the casino. We dined in the food court on the 2nd night at the hotel. I do not recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window with natural light
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Our family of 4 stayed here for one night on our way to Livingstone. The rooms were clean and spacious and had two kin size beds. Are kids are 9 & 12 so it was perfect. The only thing I could say is that the room was quite hot....even though we had the air conditioner on high. My husband felt a bit closed in as the window was 'fake' in that you looked out and we were about 30 cms from the building next door.

There was a huge choice of food downstairs which was nice. There was also a movie theatre and games arcade for the kids.

Overall a great place for a stop over as it was only 10 mins to the airport - and the shuttle was complimentary.

I would recommend this hotel if yum have a family and need to get to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I was there for two nights attending a conference at the Emperors Palace Convention Center. The rooms were clean and spacious but service at reception was poor. It took me having to talk to the Reservations Manager to clear a booking mix-up that reception staff could easily have sorted out. The restaurant only serves a buffet breakfast which was relatively good in quality and variety. As a business traveler I value internet connectivity and was not amused that this is not complimentary for guests. This seems to be a common feature with South African hotels.For a one or two night stopover, this is a good place to stay due to its proximity to the airport.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms on the front end of the hotel are next to the parking area so there's too...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here in a family suite just overnight for our flight to Victoria falls the next day.

The hotel itself is rather average, but it is an excellent choice for overnight stay right by the Jo'burg airport.

The Suites are in a building next to the main casino, so it is not noisy and rather quiet on its own.

But if you are looking for something to do or wanting food, you can simply walk over to the main casino building. There are lots of restaurants and shops there, and of course the casino.

This hotel is only about 5 minutes drive to the airport. We drove ourselves there to return our rental car, but they also provide shuttle service to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Premier Hotel OR Tambo
#4 of 27 in Kempton Park
Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport

Been to Peermont Metcourt Suites at Emperors Palace? Share your experiences!