“Customer Satisfaction” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Maseru, Lesotho
“Customer Satisfaction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The only minor dissatisfaction was the heater which I did not know how to put it on to warm my room, I did not ask help either because it was not cold, also the heater was working fine just that the buttons were very ambiguous.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Charles M

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and that fact that you stay with us when visiting Johannesburg. I am dissapointed that you struggled with our heater but am most relieved that it did not affect your comfort.

We look forward to your return and to being of service to you in the future.

Antony Larsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was a great hotel if you needed to stay overnight & fly out the next day, which we did. Rooms were clean & quiet. Breakfast was lovely. Free shuttle to the airport and to the nearby casino/entertainment centre for restaurants & some shopping.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Murgatr

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this review. You have highlighted a number of our unique selling points and for this I am most grateful. The fact that this hotel is so ideally suited to provide for those flying into and out of the Gauteng province of South Africa requiring quality accommodation with no noise impact albeit being only 500 meters from the airport terminals, is often an unexpected delight for our first time visitors. Thank you for highlighting our very efficient and frequent complimentary shuttle service as this too differentiates us from many other accommodation providers in the area.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you when you are next in Johannesburg.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just to clarify, the first room I stayed in (superior) was ENTIRELY too small for myself and my family. Even though the 2nd room I was moved to (an Executive unit) was not advertised or advised as a "family friendly" unit, we found it much better. We have a little 10mth old baby and the "crawlspace" in the second room was much more to her liking.

The service from beginning to end was of the highest quality. On behalf of my family I would like to extend deepest gratitude to every single employee we interacted with. What a fantastic bunch! Keep up the stellar service guys!

The breakfast was superb! Dinner was good as well, but we were quite distracted because of aformentioned baby being irritable, so I cant say I tried as much as I would have liked from the buffet. My custard was terrible, it was cold and lumpy with skin and everything. So half my dinner was bad. My wife says her dessert was good though. The breakfast was the stuff of dreams! If I get to choose what my last meal is one day, I would be more than happy for it to be the breakfast buffet I had here. Wow! Great selection, everything was fresh and delicious. If you like bacon, make sure to take an extra plate. The pig that provided that bacon should be honoured that his death had such magnificently tasty consequences. I am nominating him for martyrdom, he should be canonized immediately.

Overall, I cant say it was ideal accomodation for a "family" trip. The first night was quite claustrophibic in that superior room. I would definitely stay on business again though.

Well done again though staff!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Neil G

Thank you so much for entrusting us as your accommodation provider whilst in Johannesburg. Further to this, thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide both the internal review and this review.

It is most regrettable that the first room that you in did not provide the space required. Should you return, we will most definitely provide either another Executive Room or place you in interleading rooms as by than you will most likely need more than just "crawlspace".

Thank you for acknowledging the people that I am blessed to lead and the service that we deliver. It is certainly something that we pride ourselves on.

Whilst I am disappointed that the custard at dinner did not live up to our normal standard, thank you for acknowledging the dining experience and food quality of the remaining dinner items and in particular the breakfast. We are able to consistently deliver the standard of bacon that you enjoyed so perhaps we need to thank the pig and the rest of his clan.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you and perhaps your family.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I had arrived in the evening. Had to wait at least 10 minutes to get checked in although there was plenty of staff behind the desk and only one customer ahead of me.
When finally attended to, the employee required the credit card I had used when I booked the hotel room in July 2013. Since it had expired she said I would have to pay with another card and the money paid last year I would have to have reimbursed by my bank.
I think this is outrageous. The hotel should be lucky that someone books 8 months in advance, but for me this turned out to be a disadvantage and I was quite disappointed.
On checkout another employee then explained to me that the money taken from the credit card the night before would be reimbursed, so I would not need to contact my bank. That was positive news but it still wonder why I was not told so when I checked in. I only stayed for 8 hours at your hotel but due to the check in experience I don't think I will recommend this hotel further, nor stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sven H

Firstly, I would like to thank you for both staying with us and for the review which presents me with an opportunity to perhaps have you consider returning in the future. I am particularly concerned with the lack of service from the numerous staff during check in and of course the lack of communication relating to the reimbursement to your credit card. This does not align to our delivery standards and will be investigated if you could just provide your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com to enable me to view the CCTV footage of this experience. I assure you that the findings will be only be used to ensure that we enhance our consistency in our arrival experience.

Please allow me this opportunity to confirm that we do appreciate your patronage and the fact that you booked so far in advance. Once I have your details, we will store such in our system and will thereafter ensure that we always deliver on preferences shared and expectations.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I spent only one night at the Tsogo Southern Sun O. R. Tambo hotel but I found the hotel to be nicely appointed with modern décor. The food was quite good. The employees were helpful and courteous. The gift shop had a nice variety of items to purchase as souvenirs and prices seemed reasonable for most items.

Dear Shane F

Thank you so much for your patronage and for taking the time to submit this review. My team and I are most thankful to you for highlighting our helpful and couteous manner, the quality of the hotels decor and our food standards. I am delighted that you found the curio shop was able to impress you.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you should you venture out this way in the future.

Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

i really enjoyed stayed there, no word can describe how perfect the hotel is,
i wil recommend this hotel to every member of my family and friend, the experience is also superp. keep it up guys you are the best

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Mohammed M

It was an absolute privilage to host you whilst staying with us. We are humbled by your acknowledgment both on this review and on our internal customer satisfaction survey.

We look forward to your return and the next opportunity to enjoy your presence.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Because it's next to the airport, it's OK as a stop-over stay only. When you make your reservation specifically ask that they NOT put you in the older wing of rooms, or you will regret it; they are run-down, out-dated, barely functioning, dark, dank rooms. Our toilet didn't flush, A/C didn't work, window was jammed shut, NO HOT WATER, and the carpet was filthy and coming apart at the seams. $230 for what amounted to something just short of a camping experience. Additionally, the maintenance guy came into our room in spite of the "Do Not Disturb" sign while we were at breakfast, then left our door propped open and left. Talk about a security violation! We came back from breakfast and thought we had been robbed!

They moved us to another room on the newer side, but the rooms are still in serious need of renovation. The carpet, drapes, and upholstery are worn and dingy, and the A/C barely emits any air. The shower and bed are nice, but the door to our room had a huge gap around it, so all the light and noise from the hall came in our room all night.

Although there are 5 or 6 staff members at the desk, only one knows what she's doing - Maria. She's pleasant and competent, so ask for her. Stay away from Isaac, who clearly has no idea what he's doing, and in our opinion should be delegated to nothing more than hauling luggage. The poor guy is clueless. I agree with Linda V., the service at reception needs upgrading, and the staff needs training not only in how to use their software, but how to be friendly to guests.

The dining room is a place to stay away from if you can, as it is very poorly run, and the food is only so-so. There are dozens of people on staff (all standing around guffawing with each other), but good luck getting waited on. Come to breakfast prepared to get up and get your own coffee, as they have no concept of refilling a customer's cup. Breakfast is very expensive, given the otherwise low cost of food in S.Africa - $19 is a lot of money for breakfast. The buffet is usually a dirty mess, with cold, dried-up food. The staff stands around talking loudly with one another, while tables remain dirty, buffet trays need filled or cleaned up, and guests need service. There are a couple servers that "get it" that they are there to actually provide service to guests, but the majority are just hanging around doing nothing. The lady cooking eggs in the morning is surly and vocal about how unhappy she is - she made a rude comment to me about my hair one morning, and I was astonished that she thought that was OK. Another morning there was a little girl running around that appeared to be the child of a server, who was loudly engaged with the girl as if they were in the privacy of their home. The child was about 11 years old, and at some point she took off her clothes and got in the pool in nothing more than her panties! She obviously could not swim, and was far too old to be nearly naked in the pool, not to mention unattended. I objected (out of concern for the child's safety, if nothing else) and got push-back from the staff, who said she was the child of a "colleague" that had a voucher to stay at the hotel for the weekend. "Where is the colleague, and why isn't he minding his child??" we asked. Shrugs. Meanwhile, the server was busy running back and forth dealing with this child instead of tending to her job. The server had the girl put on a shirt, then she got back in the pool. The same child was there with another child at lunchtime, running around the restaurant, playing with the buffet items, and in and out of the kitchen. It was grossly inappropriate, and a health and safety issue from my view. Menu items are inconsistent in how they're prepared, so don't count on getting the same thing twice. Eat dinner somewhere else; the dining room in the evening is a chaotic, noisy mess, and getting something as simple as soup and salad will take up your entire evening.

CHECK YOUR BILL CAREFULLY when you check out. We had multiple duplicate charges for breakfast and parking, and the restaurant staff is incompetent at ringing up proper charges. Some clever restaurant server rang up our breakfast charge as a tip, and walked away with a 100% tip for service they never provided. We even had charges from two other guests on our bill! We spent an hour with FIVE desk personnel in an attempt to get the bill straight, and it was like the Keystone Cops, it was so ridiculous. They don't know how to use the software, and can't communicate well enough to understand or handle the situation. At some point they actually took legitimate bills off of our invoice and transferred them to some other guest (we got the charges back so we could pay them), and thought we should be happy with that. Clueless.

The only saving grace is the wonderful spa. The treatments there are top notch, although the spa itself is freezing cold due to a poor A/C system they cannot control.

We have stayed at this property multiple times, but we will not be back; we have had all we are willing to tolerate when things never, ever improve.

Room Tip: Stay away from the older section! Ask to be put in the newer section, and if you are sensitive to c...