“Fine for one night...excellent breakfast ”

Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Ireland
“Fine for one night...excellent breakfast ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Southern Sun for one night as we had a stop over in Johannesburg and it fit the purpose. We got the shuttle to and from the airport.
The rooms were a little outdated but clean. We did however get at knock on our door at 7am for laundry we think? Which was annoying.
We had room service the night we arrived. The food was ok. But we asked for no salad and an extra position of chips. Whoever took our order was not listening as salad came and no chips. Anyways the lady who brought the food to the room was so polite and kind.
Breakfast was brilliant....best part of our stay. One of the best breakfasts we had in South Africa. There was so much to choose from and it was all lovely.
Check in wasn't great. Our guy wasn't friendly or helpful at all.
All in all the stay suited it's purpose and it was good for one night.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear LC-irish

Firstly, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.

I am most disappointed that you were disturbed at 07h00. Whilst I am not able to pinpoint what occurred here, I will again stress the importance of not disturbing our patrons to the housekeeping staff as a result.

I am admittedly distressed that the order that you placed with room service was not delivered accurately and will be speaking with the staff members taking the calls to ensure that they have a full understanding of the orders and repeating such back before completing the call. This is fortunately not a regular occurrence however presents an opportunity to highlight such and ensure consistent superior service delivery in this area, so for this I am thankful.

Your comment relating to the individual checking you in is disturbing as this is not in keeping with the rest of the team. If you could provide me with more detail to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com it would be most appreciated and would enable me to address such.

Nevertheless, I am delighted that you did enjoy a typical interaction with the service attendant that delivered the items to your room and enjoyed our breakfast service delivery rating it as one of the best you had whilst in the country

I am hopeful that should you return, we will enjoy the privilege of hosting you again.

Antony Larsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Bangalow, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

over all its ok not the best rooms they need to a better standard are not the best location in convenient staff are good and curious the free airport pick up is very good over all Average for the price

Dear Luke B

Thank you for staying with us and providingthis review.

It is regretaable that the room that you stayed in left you with a negative impression in terms of value for money. Please would you send your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com to enable me to ensure that should you return, we will deliver a room experience that will redeam this hotel in your eyes.

Maseru, Lesotho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The only minor dissatisfaction was the heater which I did not know how to put it on to warm my room, I did not ask help either because it was not cold, also the heater was working fine just that the buttons were very ambiguous.

Dear Charles M

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and that fact that you stay with us when visiting Johannesburg. I am dissapointed that you struggled with our heater but am most relieved that it did not affect your comfort.

We look forward to your return and to being of service to you in the future.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was a great hotel if you needed to stay overnight & fly out the next day, which we did. Rooms were clean & quiet. Breakfast was lovely. Free shuttle to the airport and to the nearby casino/entertainment centre for restaurants & some shopping.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Murgatr

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this review. You have highlighted a number of our unique selling points and for this I am most grateful. The fact that this hotel is so ideally suited to provide for those flying into and out of the Gauteng province of South Africa requiring quality accommodation with no noise impact albeit being only 500 meters from the airport terminals, is often an unexpected delight for our first time visitors. Thank you for highlighting our very efficient and frequent complimentary shuttle service as this too differentiates us from many other accommodation providers in the area.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you when you are next in Johannesburg.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just to clarify, the first room I stayed in (superior) was ENTIRELY too small for myself and my family. Even though the 2nd room I was moved to (an Executive unit) was not advertised or advised as a "family friendly" unit, we found it much better. We have a little 10mth old baby and the "crawlspace" in the second room was much more to her liking.

The service from beginning to end was of the highest quality. On behalf of my family I would like to extend deepest gratitude to every single employee we interacted with. What a fantastic bunch! Keep up the stellar service guys!

The breakfast was superb! Dinner was good as well, but we were quite distracted because of aformentioned baby being irritable, so I cant say I tried as much as I would have liked from the buffet. My custard was terrible, it was cold and lumpy with skin and everything. So half my dinner was bad. My wife says her dessert was good though. The breakfast was the stuff of dreams! If I get to choose what my last meal is one day, I would be more than happy for it to be the breakfast buffet I had here. Wow! Great selection, everything was fresh and delicious. If you like bacon, make sure to take an extra plate. The pig that provided that bacon should be honoured that his death had such magnificently tasty consequences. I am nominating him for martyrdom, he should be canonized immediately.

Overall, I cant say it was ideal accomodation for a "family" trip. The first night was quite claustrophibic in that superior room. I would definitely stay on business again though.

Well done again though staff!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Neil G

Thank you so much for entrusting us as your accommodation provider whilst in Johannesburg. Further to this, thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide both the internal review and this review.

It is most regrettable that the first room that you in did not provide the space required. Should you return, we will most definitely provide either another Executive Room or place you in interleading rooms as by than you will most likely need more than just "crawlspace".

Thank you for acknowledging the people that I am blessed to lead and the service that we deliver. It is certainly something that we pride ourselves on.

Whilst I am disappointed that the custard at dinner did not live up to our normal standard, thank you for acknowledging the dining experience and food quality of the remaining dinner items and in particular the breakfast. We are able to consistently deliver the standard of bacon that you enjoyed so perhaps we need to thank the pig and the rest of his clan.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you and perhaps your family.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I had arrived in the evening. Had to wait at least 10 minutes to get checked in although there was plenty of staff behind the desk and only one customer ahead of me.
When finally attended to, the employee required the credit card I had used when I booked the hotel room in July 2013. Since it had expired she said I would have to pay with another card and the money paid last year I would have to have reimbursed by my bank.
I think this is outrageous. The hotel should be lucky that someone books 8 months in advance, but for me this turned out to be a disadvantage and I was quite disappointed.
On checkout another employee then explained to me that the money taken from the credit card the night before would be reimbursed, so I would not need to contact my bank. That was positive news but it still wonder why I was not told so when I checked in. I only stayed for 8 hours at your hotel but due to the check in experience I don't think I will recommend this hotel further, nor stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sven H

Firstly, I would like to thank you for both staying with us and for the review which presents me with an opportunity to perhaps have you consider returning in the future. I am particularly concerned with the lack of service from the numerous staff during check in and of course the lack of communication relating to the reimbursement to your credit card. This does not align to our delivery standards and will be investigated if you could just provide your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com to enable me to view the CCTV footage of this experience. I assure you that the findings will be only be used to ensure that we enhance our consistency in our arrival experience.

Please allow me this opportunity to confirm that we do appreciate your patronage and the fact that you booked so far in advance. Once I have your details, we will store such in our system and will thereafter ensure that we always deliver on preferences shared and expectations.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I spent only one night at the Tsogo Southern Sun O. R. Tambo hotel but I found the hotel to be nicely appointed with modern décor. The food was quite good. The employees were helpful and courteous. The gift shop had a nice variety of items to purchase as souvenirs and prices seemed reasonable for most items.

Dear Shane F

Thank you so much for your patronage and for taking the time to submit this review. My team and I are most thankful to you for highlighting our helpful and couteous manner, the quality of the hotels decor and our food standards. I am delighted that you found the curio shop was able to impress you.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you should you venture out this way in the future.