“Fantastic”

Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here due to a delayed flight. It was amazing. The bus transfer and the check in were incredibly efficient. The staff in all areas were so friendly and genuinely seemed to care, we were made to feel very welcome. The room, bedding, bathroom clean and comfy. A great nights sleep. The breakfast buffet and restaurant service was top notch! I can not think of a single thing to fault. I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurenatsea
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Laurenatsea

Your very positive review is most appreciated, in particular when it relates to a stay due to a delayed flight. A situation such as this is always very challenging and to have impressed under such circumstances is most gratifying for myself and my team. We pride ourselves on our efficiencies which obviously include the two shuttles that are able to very effectively transport many people to and from the hotel as well as our reception which is geared to manage groups of unexpected arrivals.

I am particularly pleased and proud that my team's genuinely friendly and caring disposition was evident during what is often a very stressful time for travelers. Thank you for pointing this out as well as your Food and Beverage experience at breakfast.

We truly look forward to our next opportunity to host you and trust that if you do, it will be an intentional stay.

Antony Larsen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,454)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The difference in the price between the OR Tambo airport hotels can be significant but so can the service. Our group of three women had a one night stop between safari camps hoping to connect with family and friends via WiFi and hoping for a connecting room. The men at the reception desk said the connecting room was not an option but a woman said it was possible. She was frowned upon by the men and moved away from the desk. After going to our original rooms, inconveniently separated, we called and requested to talk to the woman. She very swiftly got us into connecting rooms. We were told there was no WiFi and the only way to connect was to use the pay-by-the-minute computers. In this day and time ... it is crazy to not be able to connect in your hotel room. I will give the restaurant very high marks for a wonderful buffet. Upon our next stay over at the airport (later that week) to catch our flight back to the states, we stayed at the Intercontinental which had superior service on all fronts.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear OpinionsRMe

I am most distressed to hear of your negative experience at our reception desk. We do provide inter-leading rooms and currently provide capped complimentary WiFi access to all resident guests throughout the property.

Let me take this opportunity to assure you that we take our service delivery, and in particular, shortfalls in such very seriously. To enable me to investigate what has lead to this, please would you provide me with your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com

Thank you for taking the trouble to acknowledge the quality of the buffet in the restaurant and the service standards in our sister hotel, the InterContinental O. R. Tambo.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We used this hotel as a stay over for an early flight to our honeymoon destination. We were pleasantly surprised that our room was decorated with rose petals together with a free bottle of bubbly.
Checking out at 04:30 was efficient and easy as was the shuttle to the airport departures.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear Bruce Wade

Firstly, congratulations and thank you for entrusting us with the opportunity to host you whilst on honeymoon.

We pride ourselves on ensuring that our clients celebrating special occasions are left with lasting memories. In this context, thank you for highlighting our honeymoon room delivery.

One of this hotels unique selling points is the efficiencies that we provide twenty four hours a day. Thank you once again for acknowledging these in terms of your early morning check out and the shuttle service that runs every fifteen minutes day and night.

I trust that your honeymoon was a once in a lifetime experience and look forward to your return should you be moving through this area again in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Situated close to the airport and with regular shuttle buses this is very helpful for a quick stay. Staff are helpful and eager to fill your coffee cup at breakfast. The breakfast itself had many options and was very tasty. The room was nice and clean with a huge shower and big bed. My only confusion was the opaque glass wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom. Staying by myself meant privacy was not an issue but I wonder how much can be seen by the person in the bedroom when someone else is showering or toileting...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andrew C

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide this wonderful review and for highlighting a number of the advantages, travelers and patrons enjoy when staying with us. These include the proximity to the airport, the efficiency of our shuttles running every fifteen minutes 24/7, my team's helpful and eager to please culture and the quality of our food delivery. These are all points that we take great pride in providing.

Should you return, please provide us with insight as to whether the room with the misted glass separating the bedroom and bathroom is suitable as we are able to provide alternatives.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

it's convenient near location to the airport, it's regular shuttle service and outstanding facilities make this my preferred place to stay, when overnighting in Johannesburg in transit.
the fact that they serve Belgian beer does not influence my review

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Dirk M

Thank you so much for this review and your acknowledgment as the perfect hotel when transiting through Johannesburg.

You have highlighted a number of the points that ensure this, such as the location to the airport, the shuttles that run every fifteen minutes, day and night, and the numerous facilities available to our valued guests.

I am delighted that we cater to your drinks preference. We build profiles on our guest’s preferences enabling us to deliver on such. As I do not have your details on this review, please would you share your details with me on Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com as this will enable us to consistently deliver on expectations when next you move through this area.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I attended a conference this weekend at this great hotel. The conference venue was just right. But the food, the food was incredible. from the extensive scrumptious lunch buffets to even the snacks provided at our tea breaks. I always love a hotel with a pianist in the evening- special touch. I had the pleasure of staying the night. Rooms are well appointed. Nice big king size bed. All the necessary amenities in the room. Once again the extensive breakfast buffet didn't disappoint. I liked the personal attention - I wanted some fresh cream with my waffles and it was promptly brought to my table - truly decadent. Whilst riding the lift one of the staff in the lift noted my dusty shoes and suggested them be polished at the entrance of the hotel. Very perceptive and insightful staff. This was again displayed at the hotel reception where I received a very friendly and speedy check in and out service. My negative feedback - which has to be positive - put some feedback forms at the conference and in the room so that others can write about their positive experience too:)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear DocKS17

Thank you very much for your insightful and positive review. It is most appreciated as this hotel is not often reviewed on Tripadvisor in relation to it being an ideal conference and events venue. As you know, we provide numerous conference and event facilities catering to varying numbers. It is a big part of our business and being located at the airport is very central in the Gauteng province enabling ease of transit to and from conferences. For those with delegates flying in, the lack of logistics and costs required to move the delegates between the airport and the hotel whilst hosting the conference makes this the ideal location.

Thank you for acknowledging the rooms quality and quality food delivery both in the conference centre and the restaurant. Our extensive and very skilled kitchen brigade will be delighted by your input.

I am particularly thankful to you for highlighting how various staff members had an impact on you and your experience whilst with us. We pride ourselves on our genuine interest and appreciation of our clients and this was no doubt evident.

Thank you for your support.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Perfect place to get off the plane and head 5 minutes down the road to rest your weary head. They provide a free shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport, just ask information how to get down to the pick up area.
Nice rooms, pleasant staff and a great breakfast.
Love the man always playing the piano in the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Janer225

Thank you so much for your kind acknowledgment of this hotel. You have highlighted a number of our unique selling points such as our proximity to the airport terminals, the free shuttle service that runs day and night, the rooms, pleasant staff and great breakfast. I am particularly thankful for your acknowledgment as the perfect place to rest and recuperate which is obviously absolutely key to those travelling through this area.

I will make a point of showing your review to Will, our resident pianist, as he will really value your appreciation.