“Stay at Southern Sun OR Tambo” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Stay at Southern Sun OR Tambo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a one night stay and we were picked up from airport and also taken back the next morning at 04h30. We had a wonderful supper and we enjoyed our stay before we started our holiday in Zanzibar. Thank you@

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Rui M

It was our privilege to have accommodated you on your way out of the country, so thank you for your support and patronage.

It is most appreciated that you have taken the trouble to highlight the ease of movement to and from the airport, your wonderful dinner experience and the fact that you enjoyed your short stay with us.

We trust that your holiday in Zanzibar has provided wonderful experiences and memories.

Antony Larsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The main selling point of the hotel is its location, almost within walking distance of the airport. And we felt safe because of its proximity to the airport and it's security.

The front desk staff is very helpful and the accommodation and breakfast is good.

One negative was the absence of (free) Wifi.

Room Tip: All rooms are very well isolated.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Johan17

Thank you for making the effort to submit this positive review. The fact that you have highlighted our location and proximity to the airport, the fact that you felt safe and secure and that the bedrooms are not subjected to any noise impact is most appreciated.

I am delighted that the staff demonstrated their commitment to you at the front desk and that you enjoyed our breakfast delivery. What is of concern is that you were not made aware of your free capped WiFi access code provided on the registration and key cards to all resident guests. This vital part of the check in process will be addressed with all front desk staff.

Please accept my appreciation and apology for not having used our free WiFi provision.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Spent 1 night in transit from Botswana to Capetown about 1 1/2 weeks ago. No sign at airport as to the location to wait for the shuttle. Easy check-in. We were a family of 3 (my wife, son and myself). In our room, there was only 1 bath towel. I called housekeeping and requested more bath towels and some ice. They could not understand the word "ice", so I asked for "frozen water". After 45 minutes, nothing arrived. I called again and was put on hold and then disconnected. Finally my wife called them again. 30 minutes later, TWO towels were delivered but no ice. Later another delivery of towels and later a large bucket of ice with a plate covering it because they had no lids!
Breakfast was very good and room was clean. It's cheaper than the nearby Intercontinental.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear ahovagim

Thank you for your submission and the opportunity to review the unacceptable shortfalls that you experienced. Please accept my sincere apology!

It would be most appreciated if you would provide your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun as this will enable me to look at each point commencing with the lack of communication as to where to find the bus terminal and board the shuttle, the lack of adequate bath towels on check in, the poor service relating to your telephonic requests and of course the plate covering the large bucket of ice.

I assure you that your experience is not something that management takes lightly and would like to not only correct the shortfalls but possibly find a way to redeem this hotel with yourself, your wife and son.

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were only there for 1 night to catch an early flight but they provided just what we needed. The shuttle was easy to locate behind the intercontinental hotel. Check in was easy and informative. Two double beds with 2 pillows each, good hot shower and a great restaurant that provided a very good dinner. Breakfast was amazing a full range of all food types and good service.

Only 5 minutes to the airport half the price of the intercontinental what more could you want,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lolly61

Thank you so much for the lovely review and for sharing your opinion that this is the perfect airport hotel.

It is most appreciated that you have taken the time to highlight a number of this hotels unique selling points. We are very committed to providing ease of transit to and from the hotel with our twenty four hour a day complimentary shuttle service, our check in efficiency and process and of course all other related processes.

I am delighted that you made mention of our quality beds, pillows and shower as these are absolute essentials to providing a superior bedroom experience. To add to this, our breakfast and dinner experience is something that my team and I pride ourselves on and therefore really value your feedback.

Once again, thank you so much for your submission and feedback.

Crediton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed for one night for morning flight. Food was ok and the hotel was smart. Room clean and a nice bath room.

The real down sides of this hotel are the all night bar, the smoking room with the always open door, groups of all male guests and worst of all the "ladies" sitting outside and entering from time to time after being invited in by male guests. I am only guessing their profession! At one time two of these females went into a lift with a young American man!

I was in the bar area standing and waiting for the rest of my family at around 5 am. The bar was still very busy and noisy, a man who seemed to be a senior member of staff came into the area and ushered a group of these "ladies" out, "saying guests will be arriving soon will will have to leave".

All night noise and very little sleep, horrid!

Room Tip: I doubt that any room will be quieter than any other. So go to the Intercontinental.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Mandy R

Thank you for responding to our email requesting more insight into this unfortunate incident.

After a thorough and time consuming investigation, it has been found that undesirable ladies had been brought onto the property by patrons on this particular evening. One of our security personnel who had been posted back of house for the majority of his shift, did notice them when walking through the bar and coffee lounge. He asked them to vacate the property.

We have since taken further measures to control their access. I thank you for taking the trouble to draw this unsavory situation to my attention.

I am most hopeful that you will return allowing us the opportunity to allocate you one of many rooms that have no chance of exposure to noise from the hotels public areas. This will no doubt assist in counteracting the unfortunate impression that you are now left with of this reputable property.

Should you decide to do so, please email directly to Antony.Larsen@Tsogosun.com to enable me to take appropriate steps to ensure that we alter this unfavorable impression.

Thanks and regards

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I booked a room there for my business client on 31 May on booking.com and had highlighted that room charges will be charged to my credit card. I have also given a copy of my authorization letter with the front side of my credit card .

However, the reception denied checking in my client and demanded for the back of my credit card and also my passport copy.

I wonder why they did not ask earlier and caused so much hassle and embarrassment for us. Were they sleeping on the job? I also challenged them for the relevance of my passport as it wont have details linked to my credit card. They failed to answer that and merely said its company policy. So I assume its also their policy to make clients wait without logical reasons?

My client waited since 8pm to 12 midnight before they allowed her to check in. And it was already 3am in Singapore and I had to make calls til 4am!

The duty manager I spoke to was unreasonable and obstinate even when I had provided the back copy of my credit card. I requested for her name and email address so that I could send the passport copy the next day but the email she texted me bounced as it cannot accept huge files or had exceeded capacity. How clever! She also didnt give me her name. Signs of mischief or guilt?

Upon checking out, my client encountered problems again. The reception said they cannot split room charges and meal charges as my instruction was room charges to be paid by my card. Oh! Now they are reading?!! but its too late, my impression of this hotel is right at the abyss of hell!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank katashiken
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Katashiken

We have attempted to send you a message via your Tripadvisor profile. As this has unfortunately failed, I will utilize this response option to request that you provide both your details and those of your client staying with us to allow me the opportunity to investigate what has lead to this unfortunate experience. Please send these details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com .I will thereafter be able to provide you with feedback via email and make good on any findings that show that the hotel has been at fault.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience and any embarrassment caused.

Cape Town, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here due to a delayed flight. It was amazing. The bus transfer and the check in were incredibly efficient. The staff in all areas were so friendly and genuinely seemed to care, we were made to feel very welcome. The room, bedding, bathroom clean and comfy. A great nights sleep. The breakfast buffet and restaurant service was top notch! I can not think of a single thing to fault. I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurenatsea
Dear Laurenatsea

Your very positive review is most appreciated, in particular when it relates to a stay due to a delayed flight. A situation such as this is always very challenging and to have impressed under such circumstances is most gratifying for myself and my team. We pride ourselves on our efficiencies which obviously include the two shuttles that are able to very effectively transport many people to and from the hotel as well as our reception which is geared to manage groups of unexpected arrivals.

I am particularly pleased and proud that my team's genuinely friendly and caring disposition was evident during what is often a very stressful time for travelers. Thank you for pointing this out as well as your Food and Beverage experience at breakfast.

We truly look forward to our next opportunity to host you and trust that if you do, it will be an intentional stay.