“Pleasant overnight stay”

Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Pleasant overnight stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed one night between 2 connecting flights at OR Tambo. Shuttle service to and from airport very efficient. Very friendly staff. Only negative: strange stain on room carpet. Room pleasant and clean though! Would recommend to travellers who need accommodation close to airport.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Rialette S

Thanks so much for this lovely review. It is wonderful to be acknowledged for very friendly staff from a resident of “The Friendly City” of Port Elizabeth. I am guessing it was a pleasant surprise!

Thank you for pointing out and sharing the efficiency of our complimentary shuttle bus that runs every fifteen minutes twenty four hours a day.

Please accept my apology for the oversight with regards the unacceptable stain in the carpet. Please would you confirm your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com to enable me to make sure that it has since been removed. I am relieved to note that you did however find the room to be pleasant and clean.

Thank you for your endorsement to fellow travelers. This is most appreciated.

Antony Larsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Cleveland Hts
Reviewed 11 July 2014

very good place to stay and I will share my experience with my associates and family and partners. IT WAS A JOY to be at such a 5 star hotel. My encouragement to the staff to keep up the good work. WELL done to the catering personnel. Food and service was of a high standard and quality.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Josephprude

Thank you so much for your support and endorsement to your associates, family, partners and fellow travelers.

My team and I pride ourselves on our delivery to our clients and in particular our kitchen and food and beverage team lead by the very talented Chef Chang an Song and Yashvir Jitoo have requested that I thank you for the acknowledgment of the dining experience.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you.

Capelle aan den IJssel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Every time I arrive in Johannesburg it is such a relief to take the shuttlebus, and be in the hotel in just 5 minutes. The active staff checks you in in no time, rooms always tidy, great shower, and the food is just great. Have been here many times, and many more will come during my travels, but this is just Home Away from Home. Only point of attention would be the Sun website which is not always operative when you want to make a booking, but once arrived this is soon forgotten

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RondeBruijn
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear RondeBruijn

We are no doubt the envy of our competitors with this huge endorsement of being ones home away from home. Travel is strenuous and stressful and to be complimented with your acknowledgment of “such relief” being experienced when reaching our shuttle bus and being just a few minutes away from our attentive staff that will efficiently check you into the hotel is a huge accolade.

Thank you for taking the time to submit this wonderful review and for your loyalty.

The good news is that the company is currently at an advanced stage in updating our booking process via tsogosun.com so I am sure that your one challenge will be eliminated in the not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having stayed a number of times at the Southern Sun in Lusaka I decided to try this hotel as a convenient stop between flights.

The shuttle service is easy to use and very convenient, both to and from the airport.
I received a very warm welcome on arrival at reception. I was told about the complimentary nibbles and wine but didn’t partake - all I really wanted after travelling from Australia was a shower and a bed!

Before falling asleep in my huge and very comfortable bed I had dinner in the restaurant. The food was nice, but not outstanding, and the service was prompt and friendly.

My only complaint (not the fault of the hotel) was that there was a lot of noise outside my room during the night, thanks to the national soccer team for that!

I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Kelstarama

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation provider in relation to your previous experience with Southern Sun Lusaka. Your very positive endorsement to fellow travelers is most appreciated.

You have touched on a number of what we see as differentiators to our competitors. These include our complimentary shuttle service that runs every fifteen minutes, twenty four hours a day, the arrival experience which is a Southern Sun Brand hallmark including the quality sleep experience and the dining experience. I have to admit to a little disappointment in that we did not manage to impress you with our food quality and therefore request that should you return, please would you let me know on Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com as this will enable me to have our Executive Chef, Chang an Song, ensure that we make up for this shortfall.

Further to this, as we are a favored accommodation provider to many sports teams including various Australian Rugby teams, please ensure that should you return, you make mention of our National Football Team having disturbed you and my team will ensure that there is no such recurrence.

Thank you once again for your endorsement and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the Johannesburg Southern Sun airport hotel for one night during our stopover for flights between Zimbabwe and Tanzania. The hotel well suited for that purpose and we enjoyed an extremely comfortable stay. Our room was lovely and comfortable, hotel facilities were great and meals were excellent but inexpensive. Hotel shuttles conveniently linked the adjacent Johannesburg airport every 15 minutes. My internet booking through priceline.com was at a special price which included breakfast. Unfortunately the hotel wanted to charge me for that included breakfast which took some sorting out with management to resolve their computer error. It was fortunate that I had printed booking details which clearly outlined the breakfast deal. I'd certainly recommend the hotel for an airport stopover, especially if you can book a special room and meal deal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear dadndoc

Thank you so much for the very positive review and for touching on a number of our unique selling points. These include the comfortable bedroom experience, the general facilities, the quality dining experience which you have noted as providing real value for money and our efficient complimentary shuttle service. I am most thankful for you having highlighting such.

Please accept my sincere apology for the mix up in the breakfast charge. I am most relieved that this did not detract from you overall experience and thank you for your recommendation and endorsement to fellow travelers.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Atherton, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After a couple of long sleepless flights from Australia to Johannesburg we arrived at the hotel after dawn feeling quite exhausted. Consequently we were having to reconsider our plans to kill time until afternoon check-in by going on a morning tour. We were welcomed into the foyer by helpful staff, warm fire stands and even live music on the grand piano. After explaining our situation a suitable room was found to be available and we were able to check in early and have a welcome hot shower and refreshing sleep. The room was quiet, and the beds comfortable and high quality. The food at the bistro was delicious and nutritious! The concierge arranged a car and driver for a personal guided 4 hour tour in the afternoon for a very reasonable price and we were very well, and safely, looked after. The dining experience in the evening was preceded by free wine, cheese and nibbles in the foyer. We dined A la carte, but were offered free entrée and dessert as part of the meal at no extra charge. In all, we were treated like royalty, and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our overnight stay. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Robyn L
Dear Robyn L

Thank you so much for the very positive review. I am delighted that my team managed to delight you at each and every touch point from your early arrival until you departed the following day.

You have touched on a number of our Southern Sun Brand Hallmarks such as the arrival ambiance and experience, the quality (quiet) bedroom and bed experience, the dining experience and in essence the regal experience encompassing all aspects of your stay. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to do so and in so doing, endorsing the hotel to all other potential travelers.

I am delighted that we have made such a positive impression and look forward to the next opportunity to host you.

Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Right from registering I was welcomed as if an old friend. For the first time I tried to redeem my Sun Rands and it worked perfectly. Special mention of Portia and the waiter Victor. They know how to please their customers.

It is really worthwhile toe earn Sun Rands just by staying at a Sun Hotel.

Great stay. Great Staff running by Belinda Hartley!

Thank you.

Room Tip: Although next to the ORT Airport the rooms are all very peaceful and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jansteve_12

Thanks you for this lovely review. In a large hotel, one often does not expect personalized service clearly demonstrating an appreciation of your patronage. I am blessed to manage a team that comprises of individuals such as Belinda Hartley, Portia and Victor. I am thrilled that both these individuals and the rest of the team made you feel so appreciated.

Thank you for the acknowledgment of the benefits of the Tsogo Sun loyalty program and the seamless ability to utilize the Sunrands accrued whilst staying in our hotels. I am hopeful that you are aware that you can now also use these within our Food and Beverage outlets and enjoy preferential discounts even if not actually staying at the hotel. This can be quite beneficial if simply on your way past the hotel, one can pop in for a meal, a drink of even a quick specialty coffee.

Thank you for providing the essential and somewhat unexpected room tip in that the rooms are peaceful and quiet.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you.