“D'Oreale Hotel - Johannesburg”

Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperors Palace
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here for a few days the first week of June. Nice hotel. Close to the airport. Not a lot to do around the hotel area, but you can hire a taxi or tour guide to take you around the city. The casino--Emperors Palace--is next door and appears to be a small replica of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. And I mean small replica. Good service, food is okay, and people are polite.

Make sure you get the room you reserved as I think they try to stick you anywhere you will let them get away with--even a lower quality room.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank WorldTravelerOR

Reviewed 4 June 2012

My wife and I stayed 1 night at the Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperor's Palace on the 3rd June 2012. Overall, this hotel is 'nice', but certainly not 5***** in my opinion.

We checked in an hour earlier than we could (at 14h00), so that was a positive. However, we were allocated a twin room, even though I had booked a 'Classic King' room. I raised this at 15h15 with the Reception via telephone, but when I returned to the room at 18h10, nothing had changed. I basically requested the linen should be changed to allow both beds to be covered with a King sheet and King duvet. Clearly, this request was too much for Housekeeping to handle. Fortunately, upon raising this again with Reception, Winnie went out of her way to change the room for us. We then moved to a King room on a higher floor.

Furthermore, the guy at the Concierge at 15h55 on Sunday was very unhelpful. We had asked him about the complimentary shuttle to the airport, and without even acknowledging us, he pointed to where we should catch it from.

Neither room had bathrobes nor slippers, which I would expect from a 5***** hotel. The wardrobe doors needed to be banged in order to switch off the light inside the wardrobe.

The pool and surrounding gardens were immaculate! We did not use the Spa facilities.

For me, this hotel was value for me due to the promotional Sunday night price that I had booked with!

Room Tip: Since we had rooms on both side of the floor, I would suggest requesting a room overlooking the pool...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This hotel is exceptionally close to the JB Airport but without the noise.
It is a fantastic hotel that is well kept, modern and have everything you could need on premise.
The quality of food & Bev was second to none and i would struggle to find a single complaint.
Most hotels in SA do not provide free internet, and if they do, there is a cap of usually an hour.
Peermont provides you with a 2 day free internet access which can be accessible from all the public areas.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GavinP12
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed 1 night (ex Safari and prior to departure to Mauritius) having had the place booked as part of a three week holiday. What an experience! It was 5* accomodation with ALL the trimmings including so many options. In the late afternoon we snacked in an apparently new "Hooters" American 'food outlet' situated prominently within the grounds. The ambience was so tacky it was actually surreal and totally unexpected (in the overall 1st Class environment) and typically American - staff dessed as 'cheer leaders' (dressed al a Baywatch cast) singing loudly encouraging participation whilst wishing a (poor unexpected) guest a Happy Birthday - loud and brash! Ate a burger and similar as a necessary 'snack' prior to a later formal dinner in the 'Aurelia's Restaurant',which is the main hotel restaurant where breakfast is served. This later formal meal was exceptional and in a very subdued,quiet and low key environment - as anticipated and with very good service. Drinks reasonable and the food of very high quality. Settled into our room with ease. Breakfast was exceptional with so many choices including 'ready to go' oysters! Nothing was too much trouble and all food (from many continents)and the individual service was of brilliant quality. The environment was spectacular and plush with a beautiful garden outlook. No faults noted, staff attentive to needs and if you can afford it, it is a must. Gambling is not my thing but the associated Casino seemed busy +++ and appeared to be frequented by locals in the main, who were seemingly intent upon losing all their money - and as quickly as possible. The whole experience was totally bizarre, reminescent of (imagined) scenes from LA and added to the trip hugely. Safety was not an issue (after earlier experiencing Cape town) and the whole night was enjoyable ++++.
So I can only say - go for it and walk about the whole complex, soaking up the various genres. Thanks to all the staff!

Room Tip: Whatever you can afford!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank filemanLancasterUK
Reviewed 13 May 2012

After a long flight this hotel offers a haven to relax with all the fun and facilities that go with a mini casino city. Excellent friendly service and quality rooms. I can highly recommend the spa .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This hotel is fantastic should you have the means to visit. I found myself here on business and, even on the weekend, they had all the services you would expect from an upscale hotel. I arrived after 7:00 pm and needed a shirt pressed. They had it back to me within an hour. There's plenty to do as there are many restaurants and a casino attached. The breakfast is included with the room rate and is quite good. It is a short drive from the airport in Johannesburg, or they offer a shuttle.

Room Tip: Some rooms have two twin beds pushed together, others have queen beds. They are more than accommoda...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This world class hotel does not only offer the finest 5 star accommodation, it also provides REAL VIP treatment if you overnight there for a special occasion. My wife and I decided to spend our wedding anniversary there, and were totally overwhelmed by the treatment received. We were welcomed in their normal warm and efficient way at reception and accompanied by a very friendly and helpful porter to our room. Upon reaching our room we were thrilled to discover that we had been upgraded to an executive suite. My wife was totally overcome with emotion to view our specially prepared room. A basket containing champagne and snacks was placed in the entrance area, while the bedroom and bathroom was beautifully decorated with rose petals. Our gowns and slippers also neatly placed out for us. We enjoyed dinner at our favourite South African restaurant, Aurelia’s, located inside the D’oreal Grande. A most enjoyable evening was concluded with my wife and I relaxing in the Jacuzzi bath that this suite offers, enjoying a bottle of champagne!
Thank you Dóreal Grande for providing us with a wonderful, relaxing and romantic stay that turned our 5th wedding anniversary into a most memorable occasion.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple