“Great for transfers at Johannesburg airport”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
montreal
“Great for transfers at Johannesburg airport”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed overnight after a long flight from North America and before leaving for a Safari. Excellent location, a 2-3 minute walk from the terminal doors. Friendly service, big clean rooms and an excellent breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Good Morning robert1283 and Thank You for taking just a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding our lovely hotel - much appreciated. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and hope it won't be too long before your next visit. Safe journey further, regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,149 helpful votes
Reviewed 30 November 2013

One of hotels located closest to a major airport in the world. Rooms are of good size, quiet, and have 4-star type amenities. Decent gym and pool on the top floor, with massage services. Receptionists, while very friendly, can be a bit slow and clueless, eg. make guests who are staying for only 3 hours wait for a room - at the (extremely full) prices they charge, one might as well stay in the airport lounges! Incidentally, in-town hotels at this price level would let their steam room run all day, and not just on demand :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lam N
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Good Evening Lam N and Thank You taking a few minutes out of your day post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding our lovely hotel. Sorry about the slight delay in your check in - but sometimes when we have an unexpected delayed flights, these things can happen. Although we work hard to prevent this. Thank you for your feedback regarding the bathroom amenities - they are the IHG standard worldwide, and we will feedback to our International Brand specialists. We welcome all feedback and use this for future product updates. With regards to your steam room suggestion, firstly Thank You, and secondly the reason for this, is that these steam rooms use 3 phase power and as part of our environmental initiatives - we keep them off and only switch on request. They take less than 5 minutes to reach temperature as they are brand new and the latest technology. Looking forward to your next visit - keep well and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Right next to the airport, this place is fantastically expensive but fantastically convenient.

The rooms are right up there with the best, big, comfortable, and very modern. Breakfast was very good, and there were people everywhere to provide good old-fashioned service. But so there should be at the price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert H
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Good Evening Robert H and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding our lovely hotel. We are pleased to read that enjoyed your time with us and hope it won't be too long before your next visit. Please keep a look out on our web page for great packages that we run throughout the year. We have a December Special that is about to launch. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Sydney
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Was it pricey? Yes. Was it convenient? Yes. Was it just what we needed? Definitely.

I was travelling with a young infant from Sydney and needed a stopover before connecting on another flight the next morning. I wasn't ready to get out of the airport (with luggage and car seat etc) so the InterContinental was perfect. Everything was very comfortable. I wasn't ready to get out of the room with the little one either so I ordered room service and the meals were great. I also asked housekeeping to replace the water bottle as it appeared to have been opened previously and my request was met promptly. All the staff were quite helpful and attentive.

There were just a couple of things that can be improved.

When I booked online I mentioned that I'd like a "meet and greet" service as I had read it somewhere (probably on Trip Advisor) because I have a little one and so much luggage. I did not receive a confirmation telling me that someone will be waiting for me so an airport porter got a hold of me instead. As it turned out the hotel did send someone to wait for me but I had missed him (cos I wasn't looking out for signs - I would've looked if I knew someone was waiting for me). Please, Intercon, if you can email your customer beforehand to confirm that would be great.

Another thing was that, I had already prepaid for my room when I booked online but the hotel needed a credit card for security deposit. The receptionist tried my card a couple of times but "it did not work". I thought maybe my bank was just putting a stop on the transaction as I was out of the country. I ended up calling my bank in the room and they said they did not see any transaction attempts. So I went back to the receptionist to tell her that and to ask her what the error message was. As it turned out it was a swipe error which meant the communication never went through. Since I was informed by my bank that my card was perfectly fine to be used I asked the receptionist to key in the card number manually and it worked. So my suggestion is for the receptionist to be better trained to recognize the errors (rather than have the customer do the diagnosis). As a result, I had to pay for the long distance phone call to sort it out. (At least it wasn't expensive.)

These were just a couple of minor details that can be fixed easily. Overall my stay was pleasant and the staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Good Morning vivelle8485 and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is great and I really appreciate it. We will definately sort out the meet and greet confirmation. This is a free service that we provide and many of our guests take up the option, as it makes your arrival experience complete bliss. Water noted and lastly with regards to the check in - sincere apologies - we will ensure that this does not happen again. Thank you once again for the great feedback, truly appreciated and looking forward to welcoming you back again, in the not too distant future. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I stayed one night between safaris since there was no same day connecting flight. The hotel is right next to the terminal which is very convenient. There is nothing particularly charming about the hotel. It looked like a typical hotel catering primarily to business travelers. Our room was perfectly fine though immemorable. There was a nespresso machine in the room which was very nice. Our check in was slightly annoying because even though the hotel had a record of our reservation (made through our tour operator), the receptionist kept insisting on our providing some voucher, which we did not have. The other thing we noted was the sign on the mini-bar refrigerator door stating that we would be charged if we stored anything inside.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MiffysPillowBook
Good Morning honeydewchase and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are saddened by the fact that you found our lovely hotel and team to be regular and immemorable - as that is the opposite of what we strive for on a daily basis. its all about creating memories for our guests in everything that we do. Apologies for the check in, but its normal for any travel agent booking to be confirmed with a voucher, but not to worry, all in hand. Lastly, with regards to the mini bar - the system is automated wth electronic sensors - thus if you remove anything - there is an autoamtic charge - which can then delay check out - especially if you did not consume the items and just wanted to store items in the fridge. Thus the reason for the sign. We do of course supply additional fridges in the room - at no charge - should you have medicine that needs storage or similar. Large items are stored in our walk in fridges and freezers downstairs - and returned to yourself on request. Thank you once again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

It carries a price tag but the next day after having a good night's sleep it all seems worth it! Out of arrivals, into reception and straight to bed. ideal after a long flight. Recommended for the traveller with limited time or a full agenda.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Good Morning DandG2011 and Thank You so much for taking just a few minutes to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your comments and very happy to see that we left you with a few great memories. Hope it won't be too long before you next visit - keep well - Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I chose this hotel as a stop-over from a long US-based flight primarily for the location--about 50 steps from the International Terminal exit at OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg (and the walk is safe, lighted and nicely landscaped). It was extremely easy to get to, especially with luggage. The check-in was quick and the room was nicely appointed. The spa also has very reasonable pricing (about $55 USD for a standard massage), especially for a luxury hotel. The room had a nice bed, DVD player and a bathroom with full amenities (shampoo, lotion, cotton pads, etc).

My only complaint is the luggage porter who assisted me with my luggage upon checkout. I advised that I wanted my luggage wrapped using the complementary service from SA Express airline, but the porter wrapped my luggage with a private vendor (which cost me ZAR 120). It was quite frustrating as I assume that he was more interested in helping a possible friend than assisting me with my luggage request for the complementary service with my airline (which I'm sure he was absolutely familiar with--especially given all the advertising signage at the airport).

If it weren't for the luggage issue, I'd have given this hotel a 5-star.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank goferris
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Good Evening goferris and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post some feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased to read that you had a wonderful time with us and then of course apologize for your departure experience. We will definately take up the point you raised regarding the wrapping of your luggage with our porters. To be honest, I think they are so used to wrapping the luggage with the regular vendor and did not firstly listen and secondly know that there was a free promotion on offer. Thank you highlighting this point and please enjoy your weekend further. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.