“As good as an Intercontinental can get!”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Berlin, Germany
“As good as an Intercontinental can get!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is designed to be used as a transit hotel for people having connecting flights the following day or wanting to kill waiting time in a very decent setting - this is what I did. Using the hotel as a day room gives you access to all facilities, including the gym, pool and spa on the top floor. The room was upgraded (in recognition of my IHG status) and was beautiful - quiet, comfortable and decently elegant. Room service was prompt and of good quality, not overpriced compared to other international locations (certainly more expensive than using a local Johannesburg restaurant). All in all a highly enjoyable experience which I would repeat without hesitation in future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Good Evening HBDutytravel and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us - much appreciated. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and YES, we don't only offer over night stays, but day use as well. Keep well and all the best for the weekend ahead. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel ,very convenient to OR Tambo airport - very comfortable (beds are great) , staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. We stayed here 18th July and again 21st , on our way around the HighVeld , and will be going back again on the 26th , before we fly out. Very good restaurant .

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good Morning BobA3131 and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and also note that you will be rejoining us soon again. Looking forward to welcoming you back. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Manzini, Swaziland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My company booked me into this hotel because of an early morning flight that I was to take the next day. The hotel is everything you could hope for, for a comfortable luxurious stay through an airport. The rooms are clean and spacious with a nice comfortable bed and luxurious linen. The food - divine!

I just had a bad experience about the method of payment for my room - my company had paid for my stay - room, dinner and drinks by electronic fund transfer and the proof of payment sent to the hotel. On two occasions Janine had called to ask that the proof of payment be made before their Accounts closed seeing I was coming the following day. The proof eventually got there but by that time Janine and Accounts had left for the day. Janine's colleague confirmed receipt and explained that ideally the confirmation should have been received much earlier. A decision was however made that I come in for my stay and all was in order. On arrival at check in, they didn't seem to have my proof of payment and I gave them a copy which was enough to secure me a room. Once I was in my room I received about two telephone calls indicating discomfort about my mode of payment. The manager called a little later to say the same thing until I asked whether they feel I should leave the hotel.

Anyway, the problem was resolved, the manager took the "risk" but by that time I was suffering from a headache! I accept fully that the payment was made late and hotel policy may not have been satisfied. But the decision had been made and communicated to me that I should come in. This is why I did not expect the kind of stories that I then met. I felt that the hotel was not talking to itself. Once a decision is made and communicated to a guest that should be it! No other stories - otherwise I really felt I was a problem, an inconvenience, a risk.

All in all, I need to emphasise that I was treated very well and with impeccable mannerism by all. Good hotel, good people who just need to communicate better to avoid creating negative experiences for its guests.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest possible floor overlooking the terminal building and experience the magic of noi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sabelo d
Good Morning Sabelo d and Thank You for taking the time out of your day to post some feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us - much appreciated. I am sorry to read about your proof of payment experience and sincerely apologise for this. It should have been handled once and relayed to all - not dragged on. Apologies once again. I hope this will not detract from future visits and hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This is about as convenient as it gets if you want to fall into bed after a long flight or be there in the morning to catch an early flight out (I wanted both). It is meters from the terminal building and has good rooms with all you need. As an airport hotel it does the job very well. Breakfast was good too and the restaurant is ok with a decent choice of food.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Segaria226
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Good Evening Segaria226 and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us - much appreciated. Yes, 68.7 meters to be exact from the arrivals hall to some great sleep. Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope it won't be too long before your next visit. Keep well, Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

What can I say, everything was spot on. Great room, perfectly clean and we'll maintained. Great service throughout hotel. Gym and spa complex well equipped and spotless. Restaurant (Quills) serving a great range of high quality. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Good Evening SteveHH1974 and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that we managed to leave you with so many great memories. Hope it won't be too long before your next visit. Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here twice over a ten day period on our way in and out of Johannesburg.
This hotel is literally outside the terminal and you can walk your luggage trolley to the hotel, and when you are leaving the very kind porter will wheel the trolley to the airport for you.
Rooms are very comfortable and spacious, including separate bath and shower. No impact from aircraft noise given immediate proximity to airport. By comfy beds too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria11K
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Good Evening MaraK1970 and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedbback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. Most appreciated. Yes the tripple glazing on the windows makes sure that although the hotel is only 68.7 meters from the airport terminal building - you can't hear a thing when its time to get some well deserved rest. We hope that it won't be too long before your next visit. Keep well, kind regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

By far the best “airport hotel”. Stayed overnight to catch a connecting flight. The hotel was conveniently located just outside the front of the airport easily seen from the entrance of the airport. A minute's walk and you are there! No annoying shuttle buses!
Check in was quick and efficient. The room was modern and clean and was average in size. Bathroom was of a good size with a separate bath complimented by good amenities.
Bed was comfortable with nice pillows. Hotel provided a Nespresso machine and complimentary water which was much appreciated.
A bonus was the heated pool on the top floor with great views. There was a spa as well. Booked in for a massage and the therapist was gentle and well trained. The change room also had a steam room as well so it was a perfect stopover hotel to re-charge for our onward journey the next day.
We had dinner at the restaurant on the ground floor. The menu was comprehensive and the food delicious. Unfortunately it was a busy night and the food service was slow. We appreciated the fact that the Maître d’ came to apologize and kept us informed.
Check out again was seemless and the hotel porter accompanied us directly to the counter of Federal Air, our connecting flight. This was unexpected and much appreciated.
Overall one of the best overnight stay that I have experienced. Terrific staff, very professional. Don't look anywhere else! Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BunburyTim61
Good Evening BunburyTim61 and Thank You for taking a few minutes out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you managed to enjoy so many of our facilities. We hope it won't be too long before your next visit and look forward to welcoming your back. Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.