Blue Mango Lodge
US$104
US$159
US$134
  • Pool
All reviewshome away from homeinformation deskmissed my flightgreat hostsother guestsclose to the airporta wonderful stayfree airporttambo airportan oasissouth africaconnecting flightnext morningminutes from the airportstayed for one nighten routeinternational airport
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying overnight at this lodge on my way from Dakar, Senegal to Francistown, Botswana. Steve and his Ugandan wife made me feel at home from the onset and the lodge was really charming - home away from home and far removed from the impersonal nature of far more expensive hotel rooms around Johannesburg international airport. The room was excellent and very comfortable with hot water 24/7. Dinner was excellent and breakfast was no mean affair - cooked breakfast - with as much coffee as you could manage. Meeting the other guests was pleasurable over the dinner table and I was able to speak Spanish again with some Colombian church workers. Nothing was too much for Steve and his wife - they were most welcoming and dedicated in providing excellent service. I wish them the best in their work and will stay again there when in Joburg next time. Thanks Steve! Grahame McLeod, Botswana

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Grahame M
Reviewed 8 May 2014

There are 3 things I think are vital for a hotel/bed and breakfast stopover : bed, shower and breakfast. Bed and shower were excellent, breakfast 'merely' very good, so no problems there. The rooms have both a fan and a heater. Plenty of storage space if you need it.

Steve and Daisy, the owners, and their staff are very helpful and friendly. They will pick up and drop off airport travellers which is a great help. This is at no extra cost. The overnight B+B price of R550 also strikes me as good value.

There is an very large communal area with armchairs and TV (no TV in my room) which also serves as the dining room. Tea/coffee etc are also available there (as well as in your rooms).

Evening meals are available on request (possibly lunch as well). The meal I had was wonderful.

It is a very informal, friendly sort of place. Whilst I was there there were guests from a number of different countries but everyone seemed to mix well and it is the sort of place where it is hoped you will rather than just hide in your room.

There is also a very pleasant garden, an outdoor sitting area and a small bar.

For most people, I don't think this will be a negative but I will say that in my room there was a shower but for toilet, bath or handbasin you would need to use a communal one but there were no problems for me in either cleanliness or queuing.

I would stay at Blue Mango again and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a bed for the night in Johannesburg.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Accommodation and Facilities, Quality of service.
The place is too quiet and peaceful. It is full of nature. There are some animals where in I did not even see since I was a child. It is too relaxing to stay in this place. The service is also perfect. They are to helpful and friendly. Thanks Stevie.

Room Tip: rooms in villa is much better
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Larry G
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

After a missed flight a great opportunity (close to the airport with taxi service included) and beautiful oasis to recover from extra stress. Room and service - all you need - for a moderate price. Cheers, Steve!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lukas H
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I won't be telling you that this is the five-star, super luxus lodge...

BUT it is a great place to stay. Stevie and Daisy have outdone themselves providing an accomodation with familiar, relaxing atmosphere where one can enjoy his/her stay in Johannesburg.

To the facts: clean, comfortable, pretty cheap, free transport from and to the airport and all in all a great service.

A big plus: when Stevie got me from the airport together with his cute 2 yo daughter, I got to hear the best performed childrens' story during the ride!

Thank you guys.
Definitely visiting again the next time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo