“Decent pizza in a fairly bizarre setting”

Col'Cacchio Emperors Palce
Ranked #11 of 74 Restaurants in Kempton Park
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Healthy
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Sydney, Australia
“Decent pizza in a fairly bizarre setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Firstly, I should say that it is hard to focus this review on the food as my interest was absorbed by the confronting surrounds in which I ate. This restaurant is located in what would probably be described as an exciting, multicultural 'food precinct' in some sort of glossy travel ad, but in reality it is jazzed up food court inside a casino. With the ceiling awash under various hues of artificial blue light, the complex is thrust into shockingly realistic - yet painful on the body-clock - perpetual mid-morning sun. It is a truly odd sight and one that elicited a strange physical reaction when I stepped from the night time outdoors into the blistering, buzzing daylight, at 9:30pm.

The food 'precinct' also seems to be the perfect place for young teens to hang out on a Saturday night, presumably while their parents throw money away. Whilst the jewel in the crown of the precinct is sure to be the 'Hooters' restaurant I decided to eat elsewhere, for reasons unknown to me now or then. The various culinary options include several different meat emporiums, a couple of fast food joints, a seafood place or two and a couple of Asian staples. Oh, and a 'Hooters'. Did I mention the 'Hooters'? So you can get most things in some form or other, to varying sorts of quality. It was getting late and some places looked to be closing. There was a cafe open but I didn't feel like coffee. There was a burger place, but I really was beefed-out. There was a sports bar called 'Hooters' with plenty of tables free, but the decor inside just didn't speak to me. So, I opted for some classic Italian.

But Salty Sea Dog, 'How was that pizza?', I hear you ask! Well... it was fine. I can't say much more than that. I was in desperate need of some vegetables after a few days celebrating the carnivorous delights of Africa so opted for the 'Green Genie' pizza. It was well cooked with a nice thin base and soft butternut pumpkin. However there was a bit too much balsamic drizzled rocket dumped on top of the pizza, almost as though someone had made a salad and then upturned the bowl onto the pizza tray. For 95R though, who can really complain?

There was a good wine list and I had a couple of glasses of nice South African wine that was all reasonably priced. The staff were quick and pleasant, although as it was getting a bit late by that stage they didn't have many other tables to serve. There was a football match playing on the TV which was a pleasant little distraction from the invading rays of neon sun that kept attacking my eyeballs.

All said, this was a very average restaurant. It ticked all the necessary boxes, it was well priced and it decently fed a traveller on a stop-over. If you're not in that position though, you'd go most anywhere else. Say even a 'Hooters'.

• Visited February 2013