“Wonderful Winter Wedding”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Bryanston, South Africa
“Wonderful Winter Wedding”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A very dear friend of my family just recently got married at the 'Midrand Conference Centre'. I don't generally enjoy attending weddings because so often, everything runs late, the food is average, the DJ plays awful music and the staff tend to be under-trained. Well... for the first time (ever) I actually enjoyed a wedding because (for once), everything ran on time, the food was amazing, the DJ did a great job (and even took in a few requests) and the staff were fantastic. The staff had a passion for their job and were adamant to make it the best wedding yet... well, it seemed that was their life purpose!

Again, as I have already said: not the greatest fan of weddings and even less a fan of weddings during winter but this wedding, this winter wedding was the best yet. The outside garden chapel was set in a lush garden with the soft rays of sunshine keeping it nice and cosy. For a minute, I had actually forgotten that it was winter. The indoor venue where the wedding reception was held, was heated comfortably and was so cosy that I wasn't counting the hours until I could leave. In fact, I was one of the last people to leave (very unlike me!).

So yes, the wedding gremlin (me) actually enjoyed a wedding! So you must know, that the most un-romantic person, actually had a good time. This place must be good, right?

Thank you for hosting such a wonderful winter wedding! I can finally understand the magic that people always speak of when it comes to these white circuses.

Keep up the good work! I will be recommending your venue to all my friends wanting to tie the knot!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Renate
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate this very much and I am so pleased you enjoyed the wedding you attended at our beautiful venue.

We hope to see you here again soon

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I spent last week in Midrand on business and felt that the first thing I must do on getting back home is tell them and their team how impressed I am with them.

After checking in to a nearby guest house I was appalled by the standard of cleanliness, the sheets I am convinced had already been slept in (possibly by more than one person). The cups and glasses were not properly cleaned and the room had an odd smell. Nevertheless I immediately searched the internet for a new accommodation and found Midrand Conference Centre was walking distance to my meetings at Gallagher.

Thank goodness lightning didn't strike twice, I was treated incredibly well by the staff- even my extremely late dinner reservation wasn't a problem for them. The rooms were clean and comfortable, they even had free unlimited Wifi.

I can definitely recommend the Midrand Conference Centre to any business traveller wanting to find the right place to stay (the first time round!).

Dillon Warren

Room Tip: Tell them what you're looking for an they will help you pick the perfect room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Warren
My team and I thank you profoundly for your kind words. I am so glad we were able to satisfy your requirements and look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My boyfriend took me to the Midrand Conference Centre for a little break from the city hustle and bustle and I'll admit I was skeptical at first because I'd never heard of it before. He mentioned that it was a Thai inspired place and as we pulled into the parking lot the place didn't feel very Thai inspired at all. The hostess was very friendly and advised me that the centre housed an array of uniquely decorated guesthouses and that our unit was indeed Thai inspired. I was blown away when I walked into the reception of our guesthouse. Just beautiful. There was so much detail in the decore and I felt a million miles away from the my office (which was in fact 20km's away).

We had an amazing evening and enjoyed an incredible breakfast and walk around the gardens in the morning. I usually only review places when I'm upset but this one-night-stay has had me feeling so calm for 3 days now so I thought I should return the favour and share this. I can't wait to go back there and check out the other rooms.

Room Tip: Lala Thai is amazing!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Ms Claasen
Thank you very much for your enthusiastic comments about our beautiful village. And so pleased you and your boyfriend had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Let us know if you would like to stay in Lala Thai again next time or whether you might like to try one of our other guest houses on the property - they each have their own distinct personalities.
Warm regards
Jhb
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed there a few weeks ago. Brilliant service. Helpful and professional staff. Beautiful rooms. Highly recommend them. The food was great. Will definitely be going back. The managers were very kind and bent over backwards to assist me.

• Stayed April 2014
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Ms Retter
Thank you so much for your review. We enjoyed hosting you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warm regards
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I attended my sister's wedding a week ago. Lets start by saying the venue is beautiful, and the wedding was wonderful, I'm not going to compliment the managing staff or the organizers. First off, I called my sister the night before her big day, she was upset. They had kicked her out of her bridal suit, claiming the other bride to be disabled, the kicker they moved my sister into the disabled suit. Money clearly talks. Then on the wedding day, we had to be there early to get ready. the security wouldn't let us in, asked why they told us to drive around to where the reception would be. Fine and dandy for the evening as we were sleeping there, but both bridal parties were getting ready close to the chapel. T minus an hour, we were told that my sister's wedding will have to be delayed by an hour as there has been a double booking. Lets get things straight at this point i would have liked a huge portion of my money back, but it's not my wedding. I suggest that who ever made these bookings be either disciplined or fired, someone's wedding is a special thing, you do not want to ruin your own business. As their way of making up they offered to drive my sister to the chapel, it wasn't even a minute walk... One of the brides maids and I reached there first as we were walking, and low and behold, they didn't have the music she wanted to use when walking in. They had sent it to the manager two weeks ago, and this was the first they even heard about it. After about another 15 minutes of struggling my sister had to get her car keys as luckily the song was on there. Ceremony was wonderful.

Now onto the reception. I was only told this later the evening that when the men were making sure everything was right, they discovered that the whole area was not like the groom told them it should be. the buffet table was set out in a straight line to the entrance, it was suppose to be set up in the corner as the DJ would be next to the kitchen doors. Luckily they got it fixed. The food was delicious. Loved the desert.

The night was a blast. but as i said before, it was managed by someone I personally deem incompetent. And as a bride-to-be I will not use this venue. Even if you paid me.

Not recommending you to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaydedvamp
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi
Thank you for your compliments on our beautiful venue and how wonderful your sisters's wedding was at our venue - it was a lovely wedding between two exceptionally nice people. I agree with you that a wedding is a very important milestone in the life of any person and so it must be perfect and this is what we usually deliver.

I am profoundly sorry to say though that I can only agree with you on the co-ordinator. As a result of this wedding, she was put into a disciplinary hearing and has been working under full supervision since then and will not be allowed to operate on her own until she has passed the newly refreshed stringent requirements we created subsequent to your sister's wedding.

Whilst we were not able to change the fact that the wedding started late (and not incidentally because of a double booking) nor the problem with the rooming list, I did meet with your sister and brother-in-law when they got back from their honeymoon and we did reach a mutually agreeable resolution.

I hope one day to see you back here
Kaylene

Travellers are raving about these Midrand hotels

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We went to a wedding there this past weekend. Was very excited to see the place, as I have had quotes there myself before,and the prices arent cheap. So I really expected alot more of the place. They were not organised, waiters arent trained at all. They can hardly speak properly, and they have no idea what's happening there. Everything other people have said on the reviews are true for me, except for the rooms I cant comment, we didnt use the facility. The food is lovely though and that was it. Would not recommend this to anyone, especially if you're getting married.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank antoinette k
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Antoinette
Thank you for alerting us to your experience at Midrand Conference Centre. Our clients usually have nothing but good to say about the organisation of weddings at our venues so I would welcome you contacting me directly as we want to address any issue that needs attention.

In the meantime I am pleased to tell you that we have already dealt with the waiter company and they immediately instigated new selection criteria and revised their training programs to ensure this never happens again.

Finally,if you happen to be in the area, why not pop in for a cup of coffee with me so I can share with you some of the changes we have made here
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Whatever you do, do not book a conference or stay at the Midrand Conference Centre. This must be the most disgusting place I have ever had a coference at or stayed at in my 25 years of working! There is not a competent Manager in sight, when the conference organiser Petronella did arrive 2 hours late she sat on the black dustbin outside the venue swinging her legs for most of the day. Absolutely shocking bedrooms, bright orange walls, purple ceilings and black and gold borders on the walls - slept with the light on. The security guards were exceptionally rude and unhelpful. Would never use this venue again!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Shelley-Ann
I am so sorry about your reaction to the Thai decor which is in some of the bedrooms but perhaps you were unaware that not all the rooms are in this style. Because this is a village of venues and guest houses, if we had known about your view at the time, we would have moved you as we do offer a choice of differently themed guest houses so we could have moved you to a Tuscan room or to one with a simpler white, light more contemporary feel.

I am not sure why you would have been dealing with Petronella as she is in fact a Wedding Co-ordinator but it does seem that you were not introduced to the correct managers. Training is an ongoing process here to which we continuously add new components to ensure things like this never happen again.
Kaylene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand Samrand
Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
#43 of 68 in Johannesburg

Been to Midrand Conference Centre? Share your experiences!