“Good Value for Money”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
“Good Value for Money”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed at the Protea Midrand hotel on a business trip and i must say that the hotel offers value for money -
Rooms are very comfortable and clean - dinner was average and breakfast was not bad, as sometimes the proper labelling were not kept at the buffet, to know what were the dishes available.
Dont expect the staff to help you with the luggage - this is a DIY, unless you ask for that particular serive. I made it a point to mention this as when walking to your room ( like mine) You might have to take a series of stairs to walk through and with some luggages, this might be an interesting challenge!
The free wifi served its purposes and although limited, it was entirely enough for my needs.

An average hotel for a business traveller - just need a room to sleep conveniently and thats it!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Vivek R

I appreciate the time taken in sharing your valuable feedback with us.

Offering value for money is certainly in line with our goal of offering the best GUEST service as a whole. The location to nearby business is very convenient for those conducting business in the area.

It disappoints me to hear that you were not assisted with your luggage. We do have a porter service available and I will be looking into this matter.

We pride ourselves on offering a delicious breakfast spread. I am sorry if some of the items did not have correct signage as the chef likes to surprise GUESTS with unique dishes to compliment the selection. Please feel free to inquire with our friendly STAFF if you have any queries on the dishes during your next stay.

As you were here on business, I am aware of the importance of having access to Wi-Fi and it pleases me to hear that we met your requirements.

My door is always open for GUESTS to say hi or contact me at gm@phmidrand.co.za for further requests.

Protea Hotel Midrand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Against my better judgement (as I'd stayed here before 2 yrs ago), I opted to stay in PH Midrand as it suited my location needs being close to the training venue I'll be at for next few days. However, boy was I mistaken & had a major error in judgement! To say it was awful would be an understatement! Ok, the hotel is very cheesy, has bad 70's carpets, poorly designed interior, given all the up & down little alleys one must navigate before reaching one's room. Once inside, it's dusty & has dirty decorative red pillows & blankets displayed on bed..all manageable if it weren't for the worst to come! Ok, so it's 4:30am (alarm on phone goes off) & I also need to go to the loo...switching light on, but to no avail! Jump up (room is very dark with no light, even with curtains open) & furiously try the main lights on wall next to door..same thing. Nothing works!!! Ok, really need the loo now..go in the dark & hope I don't have an accident in the dark. Thereafter, try to phone reception/duty manager on the room's phone - to no avail! Ok, decide to try from my cell, cos surely they must answer & sort this strange dilemma for me..and get my lights back on albeit still very early morning. No answer. Yes, no answer! After trying for 30 mins, I try again..someone answers..but phone does within a few seconds, or after I say 'I don't have electricity in my room'. I Phone back. No one answers... Then, I call the sister hotel further down the road, PH Samrand, and someone answers immediately. Yah!!!! Tell them my story, they are very nice & promise to find out what's happening. I get a call back after a few minutes only to be told they can't get hold of reception either but will try to contact them somehow via cellphone. Now, I lay in the dark thinking about all the things I planned to do this morning but no longer can..such as going to gym, studying for exam next week..oh, and thinking about the well-done fillet I got at dinner instead of medium steak I ordered (at least I was compensated for that one with a 'free dessert'...wonder what they will come up to compensate for this grand inconvenience to say the least??!)..

So take it from me - Don't go.

• Stayed January 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Fdja

It is with great disappointment that we receive your feedback and I am extremely sorry that your experience at Protea Hotel Midrand was not a pleasant one.

The hotel, as well a large part of the Midrand area, experienced an unscheduled and unexpected power failure from 01:30 am until late morning, which in turn affected the telephone lines. I would like to assure you that we are in the process of investigating alternative solutions, which we hope to have implemented in the near future.

I understand your frustrations and ask if you could please contact me at gm@phmidrand.co.za.

Hopefully during your next visit you will be able to enjoy the convenient location, well-appointed rooms and friendly STAFF in addition to a trouble free stay.

Protea Hotel Midrand

Travellers are raving about these Midrand hotels

Chipping Sodbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I have stated here on business in the last 2 years. I usually come to SA once a year and our offices are just the other side of the N1, so it is very convenient for my needs. The rooms are very comfortable and the air con worked well as it was quite hot at night. The restaurant was good with a wide selection of food. I only had breakfast once, as it was very expensive at R155.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear PJY2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and I am delighted that we were successful in providing a stay worthy of the best rating.

Providing businessmen with a convenient and comfortable location is important to us, and your experience is testament to our offering.

Midrand can get quite humid in the summer and I am happy that your sleep was not affected thanks to the air-conditioning provided.

I hope you had a safe trip home and please pop in to say hi when you return next year.

UK
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I stayed for four nights at the Protea Midrand in November 2012. The hotel is comfortable and very clean. The air conditioning worked well and the free wi-fi was OK for my needs although sometimes the signal disappeared and you do have to pay if you go over a certain daily limit, which I didn't, just looking at e-mails every day. The TV was good with Sky News and BBC Entertainment plus some local South African channels that were very watchable. The magnetic key card for my room seemed to lose its memory every time I went out (possibly by being too close to a phone or a handbag magnetic clasp) so I had to ask Reception to 'recharge' it every time I went back.

I thought that the breakfast and the food served in the restaurant was very good although some dishes weren't exactly what we were expecting - it helps if you like surprises. The weakness of the Rand however makes it feel extremely good value to visiting Brits. This was just as well as you couldn't just walk out of the hotel and find an alternative restaurant or shops - there was nothing nearby if you had no car. However the location was good for me as I needed to get to the Gallagher convention centre, Johannesburg and Pretoria for meetings and (apart from the Johannesburg traffic) it was well positioned for this. .

The layout of the hotel is strange and a bit confusing with staircases going up and down everywhere. These are difficult to negotiate with heavy bags and would be a problem for people with poor mobility as there were no lifts. Also, you do need to take a minute to make sure that you're fully aware of the fire escape route from your room as it certainly won't be in a straight line! A few more signs would be helpful (speaking as a risk professional!)

I managed to leave my credit card at Reception when checking out but when I arrived home there was an e-mail from the hotel telling me this, so I could cancel it without any problems. I was very happy with this thoughtful service.

Room Tip: If you have limited mobility ask specifically for a room that you don't need to use stairs to ac...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Dear WilliamsFamilyUk

Thank you for your delightful review on TripAdvisor.

Providing a central location for GUESTS and business executives alike is very important to us and we are pleased that you were able to get to your meetings in the area. On top of that, it always helps to come back to a clean and comfortable room to watch a bit of television and relax after a long day at the office.

I will applaud my awesome TEAM on their thoughtful service and I hope that you sorted everything out with your credit card.

I apologise if the hotel layout was not as clear as you would have wished, however I hope that your enjoyment of the restaurant and other facilities made up for it all.

Please be sure to visit us on your next business trip to South Africa.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Very mixed feelings about this place. Naff rooms and zero sound insulation room-to-room. Rooms and room corridors feel like a 70s hostel in design and quality. Staff are helpful and friendly. Food is generally good and the pool/garden/terrace is a delight. Feels like it was put together by two totally unrelated teams with uncorrelated budgets.

Room Tip: facing in to the garden side much nicer than facing out to road side
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear 5marh1

Thank you for you compliments about the helpful and friendly STAFF. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the gardens and terrace so much.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment with the corridors and the room. We are in the process of beginning transitional soft upgrades to the rooms as well as the carpets and passages over the next while.

I hope that on your next visit from the United Kingdom you are able to visit us and I can show you some of the upgrades.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October based on a recommendation from a business nearby. The hotel was very nice for business and worked out well for my three night stay. The staff was very friendly and happy to assist me with any questions or problems I had. The room was spacious and clean. The gym also was spacious and clean and provided a view of the surrounding area. The hotel felt safe and secure, it was a little strange to see the electric fence and barb wire around the place, but I guess that is a necessary evil in Johannesburg.
I had one issue with the transport company which is an outside contractor to the hotel. The General Manager, Tania Malan, stepped in and resolved the issues quickly and credited the bill for the transports that did not arrive on time. I was impressed with Tania and how she runs her operation. She even made a point to check in with me each time she saw me, whether it was at Breakfast, sitting by the pool or later in the evening at the bar. She works long hours and you can tell she really cares about treating the customer right.
The wait staff in the restaurant and bar was also very friendly, polite and happy to answer questions. Being this was my first stay at a Protea hotel and in Johannesburg, I had many questions and wanted to experience some authentic African products. Phillip and Innocence (two of our wait staff) were happy to recommend dishes and drinks that were from South Africa.
The breakfast buffet was very well put together and had many offerings including custom made omelets each morning. The selection of fruits, juices, cereal and muffins was excellent and allowed me to skip lunch all three days.
Overall the experience at the Protea hotel was very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling and doing business in the Midrand area. The location is close to the airport and to many businesses.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Dear Travelqueen8882

Your response on TripAdvisor brought only one thought to mind – “Wow”. It is always great to see that GUESTS have enjoyed their stay with us and that the whole TEAM played a role in showing you true Protea Hospitality.

The STAFF, the breakfast display and the swimming pool are all waiting eagerly for your return.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 5 November 2012

As a business traveller, i dont expect much but do mind that the hotel is so complex and if you do not watch where you are all the time, can easily get lost. Would also help if there was a lift as carrying 3 bags up down staircases is not great fun...or how about offering assistance at checkin. How is that for an idea?

Room Tip: if you are in Midrand, rather stay at a b&b.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear RH

I am deeply saddened to have received your review finding our Hotel unsuitable to your specific needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the fact that you were not assisted with your luggage upon check-in. This is definitely a service that we do offer and we will most certainly investigate as to why this did not happen. As your feedback is extremely important to us we would appreciate it if you could allow us another opportunity to offer you the excellent service that this hotel is renowned for. Being a discerning business traveller it would be appreciated if you could contact me in order for us to ascertain what we can do, within our means, to meet your specific needs.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Protea Hotel Midrand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
City Lodge Hotel Waterfall City
The Gallagher Hotel
The Gallagher Hotel
#6 of 10 in Midrand

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!