“old favourite still fantastic”

Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve
US$142.85*
and up
Cradle of Humankind Tour from Johannesburg
Reviewed 25 October 2012

been going to this reserve for the last 8 years or so. Love it. hadn't been for a while so we visited last weekend - quite shocked at the amount of building that has gone on there! It's looking really good, they've done a nice upgrade to the facilities and the reserve is much better stocked than before.
They still have the "petting zoo" of lion/tiger/cheetah cubs as well as adult animals you can interact with. something very special about patting a tiger cub that's as big as your 4 year old!
we also went to the feeding of the big lions/wild dogs/cheetah. We were at first a bit put off by the tourist-y feel - cars forming a big corraal around the feeding area etc. But we hung back a bit and so kept out of the convoy and rather enjoyed the post-feeding experience. Particularly the vultures coming in for the scraps.
We also attended a snake talk which was very interesting and cool to touch a great big python!
Food is OK, very simple, nice kids play area. Facilities are good. Great braai areas and I saw a function set up with chefs doing a braai which looked fab.
All in all, a GREAT day out and the best place to take tourists.
By the way - they ensure that all animals sold out of the breeding program are microchipped so they can track where they go - this way they ensure none are sold for canned hunting.

2  Thank MargsCarte

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We went to this place just to play with lions in person, and what a great attraction it is! many animals you can interact with (cheetah and tigers), many animals in the wild as well. If you want to take your children somewhere safe, and let them feel the adventure, this is a great place to go to!
We stayed their overnight, and Kudos for their minimal environmental impact strategy at the huts. they did not have electric devices, and you could feel the place is very linked to earth. Great pub/restaurant was nearby but car is much needed.

3  Thank YZNA
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Living up to its billing, Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve has both lions and rhinos along with many other wild animals like antelopes, wildebeest, ostriches, birds and even reptiles. But you drive your car into the reserve and they allow you to enter large fenced in areas which hold the animals who walk right past your car. We saw maybe 8 lions up close (which you will never get this close on a real safari), a cheetah, rhinos and other animals. We had to pay extra but your kids can pet lion cubs.

There is also a visit to Wonder Cave which you pay extra for. Go down a deep mine elevator and prepare to be squeezed in. At the bottom, you see limestone stalagmites and stalactites in a huge cavern. Not as colorful as some of the caves in the US, I still thought it was worth the trip. There are steep stairs that you have to climb in and out so be forewarned.

One thing I found that we would never do in the US is have a large electrified fence around the animals which we are warned not to touch. However, a young child could easily touch the fence which is fair warning to watch your kids carefully.

3  Thank macman2
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Nothing really special. I guess people come for the lion cubs, but personally I had a problem with the philosophy. I enjoy seeing animals in the wild, so for me this was just a zoo...even the large enclosures for cats and dogs are still just fenced in and not very big. They were only charging 30Rand to play with the lion cubs for 5 minutes, so almost everybody that visits does that... I recommend that they up the price to 100Rands and make the experience less frequent and more personalized to reduce stress on the lions. The lions were mostly bothered by the visitors and weren't "playing" as advertised, afterall it's just another annoying tourist and camera for them. Go to Kruger or Pilansburg and see them in the wild.

But, the wondercave was Awesome! Way better than Sterkfontein caves!

Reviewed 2 September 2012

After already visiting the Lion Park, we decided to visit the Rhino and Lion park to check out the differences and see some more animals up close. The cub experience was excellent. One of the lion cubs was extremely friendly and playful. They had also just brought in some tiger cubs, but they weren't accustomed to people yet. They only allow one group in the pen at a time, so you get time to yourself with the cubs. It was a lot nicer than at the Lion Park, in my opinion. There was also an adult cheetah that you could pet.

We also saw the animals being fed. I thought it was unfortunate that they tied the dead animal to a stake, so all of the lions were in one bunch eating. At the Lion Park they break apart the animal and spread it around so that the lions are closer to the cars and you can see more of them.

On our way out we went to the Hippo walk, which was my favorite part. We didn't see any hippos, but there were full grown lions right behind a fence. There were also older cubs that were very playful. They had lions and tigers together, and they were playing together. I could have watched them all day.

The Rhino and Lion Park felt more like a real safari to me, and their cubs were more playful and you get more time with them. However, if you want to see lions eating, or feed a giraffe, I'd recommend the Lion Park.