“Experience of a lifetime!”

Misty Hills Country Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Muldersdrift
Reviewed 2 June 2014

MISTY HILLS is the experience of a lifetime! From the moment you step onto the stunning property, you will enjoy an instantaneous immersion into a uniquely authentic “Africa” experience.

Within its lush rain forest setting, this exceptional luxury resort is conveniently located between Johannesburg and Pretoria, not far from Tambo International Airport. Village-style suites are nestled throughout the lavish grounds which are replete with water features set within a picturesque jungle setting. Providing optimum privacy, each bungalow is designed to replicate the comfort and tranquility of an African rondoval while simultaneously providing maximum access to technological convenience.

A not-to-be-missed feature of each suite is the charming outdoor shower, sheltered under the canopy of jungle growth where the sounds of wildlife echo against the night sky. Be sure to allow time to enjoy the extraordinary spa at Misty Hills which is a relaxing, healing sanctuary in its own right.

A study in delightful contrasts, Misty Hills is at once both accessible and secluded, both charming and sophisticated. The complex is equally ideal for groups needing a well-equipped, multi-purpose Conference Centre or for couples seeking an intimate, romantic get-away.

This stunning country hotel provides the perfect destination for both the weary traveler in need of a tranquil, restorative respite and for the motivated leader planning the next corporate meeting. With 23 elegant event destinations, Misty Hills has the expertise and experience to cater to everything from trade shows to wedding receptions with outstanding professionalism and individualized attention-to-detail.

A highlight for every Misty Hills guest is a visit to the on-site Carnivore Restaurant which is routinely packed with more than 360 people. Though massive in size, the restaurant is best-known for its warm and friendly service. The tone for this exceptional dining experience is set by the indigenous Africa-themed décor and continues as you take your place in one of the zebra skin-covered seats. Here, waiters in colorful, tribal attire walk among the tables, offering tasty samples of the 16 different types of meat barbecued in the center of the restaurant. This magical dining experience concludes as the waiters gather each evening to provide a mini-concert of moving African singing that may bring tears to your eyes.

The comfort and ambiance of Misty Hills are well-matched by the exceptional level of personalized service. What a place! What an experience! What a memory!

Dr. David Kast
California, USA

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at Misty Hills on Saturday night after attending a wedding at Avianto.

The pros of our stay:
The staff were very friendly on arrival and all greeted us with a smile.
The shower had decent pressure.
The breakfast buffet was very nice, with a wonderful selection.

However the cons far outweight the pros:
The hotel itself was a bit disappointing. I can see that in its day it must have been rather beautiful, but is in desperate need of a refurbishment,
The duvet on the bed was just like a thick piece of foam (I don't understand what it was exactly, so i cant give a better description than that) the pillows were made of the same material as the duvet, so uncomfortable. It is 2 days later and my neck is still sore from the angle I was sleeping.
They still have old box tvs in the rooms.

2  Thank Michelle T
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

All hoteliers are always grateful when there is positive feed-back with regard to service levels, staff and food presentation. And then of course, if there is any negative review, this is taken very seriously by the affected property and relative action is taken. In this instance and on this platform we can only advise that linen and bedding up-grades and replacements is an on-going exercise. Pillow menus are offered, but not often referred to by guests, whereby one can request softer or thinner pillows or even thicker and firmer ones. TV upgrades is part of a maintenance program that is also on-going and flat screen TVs are now in most of our bedrooms

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have frequented the facility over the past 12 years of which the last 3 times were over the past 7 months and for both private and corporate functions. The new reception is beautiful and if you take all the difficulties they went through after the fire and with all the renovations and refreshments going on without distributing their customers, that calls for excellent management! A change in management has been noticed and it is clear that it is working for them. I can call out names, Jenny, the new guest relations manager and Samantha, the spa manager with her staff,1 Rene and Kitiwe and many more, the management and staff of the Carnivore restaurant make you feel welcome and treat you like VIP! I salute you all and can recommend your facility to anyone, corporate or private!

Room Tip: Village 7 and 8 are newer rooms but all villages are recommended!
1  Thank anthony19690503
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This is our second time here, and its great to see that the staff is always friendly. We had a great experience at the spa! Would recommend this place to anyone if you just want a quick getaway, which should include a spa experience, and a good nights rest!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Misty Hills is the best place ever to get close to nature, relax, rejuvenate and get pampered at the same time! The accomodation, perfect, food from breakfast through to the different dinner options fantastic! The spa fantastic a must do every time you pay a visit... This weekend was our 14 th time at Misty Hills and we will be back again because of the warmth , friendlyness and care nd treatment you get, you leays feel important and extra special, you do relax and realy feel renewed by the end of the weekend or holiday and the people made you feel like part of their " hotel" family! Thank you Jenny Lee for all the arrangements you and your staff are excellent and Samantha with her team at the Spa it was a awesome experience like always! This is our little Heaven on earth! We love you all! Wilna Smit

Reviewed 4 May 2014

A Miss at Misty Hills
We stayed at this hotel for one night and I have to say that it was very disappointing.
The hotel and conference centre is quite stately on arrival, the large entrance and lobby are impressive and well adorned; it was the service that was lacking.
To be fair, there were a lot of groups checking in all at once however, it seemed like the girl at the front desk was bothered by my requests. I suppose she had something better to do than to answer my question about the hotel wifi, or help me get into my room or call a porter to assist me but the only thing I received from her was attitude.
The biggest issue I had was with suite 709, which had a broken door and lock. I tried several times myself to open the door and I was unsuccessful. I noticed that the key itself was bent which to me means that others have also had to apply extraordinary pressure to try to open the door.
A porter happened to stop by and he could not open the door either and suggested I go back to reception and request another room.
So I lug all my baggage all the way back to reception and ask to change rooms. Attitude girl says they are fully booked and gives me a second key to suite 709 which also happens to be bent. She said she would send a porter to help me but never did. So I lug all of my baggage back to suite 709 and unsuccessfully try to open this door again -attempt number 3 failed.
By this time I am pretty upset, hungry and exhausted from traveling all day, I wanted to have some time to rest and freshen up before dinner but could not get into my room.
I walk all the way back to reception again and tell them the second key is not working either and I want a new room. Well, now I get every excuse in the book about how the hotel is full and they cannot switch me.
All I wanted was to be in a safe room that I could get into and securely leave my belongings in; nothing unreasonable so I am super upset by now.
I pick up both keys to suite 709 and hold them up and firmly tell them that both keys are bent that means that there is a problem with the door/lock, I've tried several times to open it unsuccessfully and they should give me a new room.
Again excuses, offers to have me freshen up in another room until they can fix the door... This ordeal finally ended when the guy from the front desk came with me to 709 and could not open it himself (attempt 4 failed) and the maintenance guy confirmed (attempt 5 failed) that the door and lock were indeed broken.
Then by some miracle they were able to instantly change my room to 713!
They were also suddenly very concerned for my happiness and accommodating my stay there.
In the end, my room was clean, warm (space heater provided in room) and comfortable however, I do not think that it should have taken that much effort to get me there.
In addition, the property is not very well lit at night so I did not feel safe walking back to my room. Bring a flashlight for sure if you are to stay here however; Misty Hills was a definite miss on my list.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Alleycat1820
RecreationAfrica, General Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We thank you for your valued comments and constructive criticism on the above matters experienced during your stay at Misty Hills Country Hotel, Conference Centre & Spa.

The comments we receive from our valued guests, be it complimentary or otherwise, is of utmost importance to us in order to improve on any shortcomings we may have, as of course we endeavour to exceed your expectations every time we receive you at our hotel.

With this writing, we would like to express our sincere apology in the service levels experienced at our reception on the day of your arrival. Thank you for understanding that we did experience unusual arrivals at once. Please be assured that the matters raised in your feedback will receive the necessary attention be it training and development or disciplinary action. The maintenance issue has been addressed already and all attention will be given to avoid this from happening again.

I thank you also for the time awarded to us to investigate this matter, and have thus decided to invite you back for a complimentary one night stay in a Deluxe Superior room on a bed and breakfast basis, should you be returning to South Africa. This offer is valid for six months, subject to availability.

Should you decide to accept this offer, please could you contact, Sonja Muller on telephone number +2711 950 6000 - Extension 6210, to make the necessary arrangements.

We trust you will find the above in order and we look forward to hosting you again to our country hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The people there are amazing, they are full of love and ready to serve you! The food is highly recommended, especially the resturant "Carnivore"! This is the hotel if you want to have a heavenly experience as well as great food and a place to sleep! The service was first class! People were super nice and friendly! The whole place was clean!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muldersdrift
Forum Homini Hotel
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
Valley Lodge & Spa
Valley Lodge & Spa
#4 of 7 in Magaliesburg

Been to Misty Hills Country Hotel? Share your experiences!