“This is definitely not a 5* establishment”

Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa
“This is definitely not a 5* establishment”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The property is amazing, however from an operational level Kloofzicht deserves a 3* rating at the most.. this is most definitely not 5*. I received a free night due to the appalling service I received on my first stay - zero service and a hole in my bed sheet. This time round I was even more disappointed - I sent a mail to the Ops Manager who I am still waiting on a response - this is a shortened version of my mail to Udo Weimann:

How can this possibly be rated a 5* establishment, when:-
A- You don't offer room service
B- My access card did not work when initially entering the room and had to wait for the porter to run back to reception to get another activated card
C- A light in the bathroom was not working
D- The bar had no biltong or dry wors (seriously!!! after being told by reception I could order from the bar)
E- The bar had no cranberry
E- There was no two pin plug available in the entire resort for me to charge my phone.
F- The bar fridge in the room was empty

I think they must have paid some person to get the 5* rating, because this is definitely not a 5* establishment. Once cannot simply rely on the beauty of the property when from an operational level it is such a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I booked for dinner to celebrate my husband’s 40th birthday. I was very disappointed with the entire experience.

We were not greeted at the restaurant and had to stand and wait for someone to notice us and show us to our table right next to the rowdy conference group in the restaurant and in the middle of the walkway for the waiters.

Not quite the start to the romantic five star restaurant experience I had planned and it did not get much better after that…

We were then seated on the patio at a very wonky table that almost fell over. Thankfully when the door was closed between us and the main restaurant, we could hear each other and have a conversation.

I ordered a Kahlua coffee that arrived cold and had to be sent back.

The food presentation was very nice, but tasted no different than any other average restaurant. I paid R225 pp for a R150 pp meal. I expect much more form a five star restaurant. My husband’s steak was so raw that he couldn’t finish it.

In fact, for the price I paid for the evening I should have rather gone to The Steak Restaurant at Silverstar Casino.

I would have had an excellent three course meal, with better service and a much better atmosphere for the same price…

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Having both stayed at Kloofzicht lodge for work off sites, my husband and I decided to have a weekend away at Kloofzicht lodge. We chose the Superior room and it was fabulous. Location on the trout dam and we could fish right outside our room. The views of the mountain are amazing and the location is peaceful.

Each room has a fireplace, perfect for a cold winters night. It gets really cold in Muldersdrift and this feature is a winner. We had a blocked drain and leaking toilet in our room, but it wasn't an issue as the room was just amazing. Small things which can easily be overlooked in such a beautiful setting.

Reception staff and bar staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. They ensured that our stay was comfortable.

A recommendation: If you plan on doing spa treatments, book this when you make your accommodation booking because slots fill up quickly and you might not get a slot which suites you.

The disappointing part of our stay was the food. For a 5-star lodge, the food is not on par with the lodging.

Dinner is a set menu. For starters, the advertised "salmon confit", we really didnt expect to get canned salmon at a 5 star lodge- what a put off.

For main course my husband ordered a "deconstructed chicken pie" and he got his food cold. Presentation and taste was good though. I ordered the "catch of the day" and the fish fillet was so hard and rubbery it was inedible. I sent it back for correction but was disinterested by the time i got a new plate.

From the three courses, the dessert was amazing. Hats off to the pastry chef. Have a look at our pictures

The next morning, the dining room didn't fail to be a let down again.
Breakfast was even worse than dinner. The bake section of cakes & breads was terrible. Banana loaf was dry and crumbly- seemed like slices from days before. Other options looked unappetizing.

We both ordered omelettes, it lacked seasoning and again the filling was cold, the cheese unmelted, tomatoes looked stale. From the buffet, the potatoes had a cardboard texture (definitely leftovers again) and the tomatoes acidic. As an alternative we asked for soft poached eggs, only to receive hard poached eggs.

I know I am going on about the bad dining experience, but we are extremely disappointed that such a stunning place has such a bad dining experience.So bad, that we didn't stay for lunch and left early.

It just doesn't tie up. We have been to numerous places in SA and around the world and this has to stick out as a bad memory for food at a hotel. Please management, improve your dining experience!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Beautiful Accommodation and what an amazing stay. We spent two nights before our trip overseas and we had a peaceful and relaxing holiday. The accommodation was top notch and I could not fault anything. Our rooms were perfect : neat, clean, spacious and had beautiful views overlooking the lake. Breakfast was good and large variety of food. We had dinner the one night which is a little pricey and it was good not outstanding. I would have expected a little more from the restaurant. I think I'm being a bit harsh but I have very high standards. The staff were great, very friendly and always willing to help. We also used the spa facilities which was like being in seventh heaven. It should be noted that this was my first visit to a spa. All in all it was a great stay and thank you Kloofzicht for making our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We recently had the privilege of staying at Kloofzicht Lodge in one of their Superior Rooms. What an experience! The staff are very friendly and professional, rooms exquisite and the meals are simply outstanding. Each room has a gas fireplace and a wonderful view of the trout dams and mountain - what a way to wake up!

Thank you to the Management & Staff of Kloofzicht for making our stay a memorable one and we will definitely be returning to experience your pampering sometime soon! Keep up the excellent standards!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Superior Room - absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Upon arrival, there is something of the 1970s about the small, demi-walled reception and higgledy piggledy rack of leaflets and handouts. First impressions however belie the outstanding comfort and quality of this wonderful retreat. I was welcomed and checked in with friendly efficiency and taken to my room by the gentlemanly Alex who offered to return and accompany me back to the restaurant later (it is a noticeable walk in the dark and would be difficult for someone with mobility problems).

Each lodge is exquisite; an open-look cozy fire, a beautiful bathroom with rainshowers,  a large bath and plenty of space for potions and lotions. The wide, comfortable bed has high quality pillows and bedding, there is a large TV which can be set to the local Classic FM or used to play DVDs if like me you don't  watch a lot of  TV. All tea, coffees, toiletries, water are generously supplied (a welcome relief from the 'rationing' in some establishments) and a chocolate appears each evening.

My lodge was right next to the lake; the tranquility with only the sound of the ducks, birds and other wildlife was soothing and the stresses of the working week lifted quickly. I could have sat on my spacious balcony all day long in the sun (but didn't). There are mapped walks around the park of varying degrees of difficulty and you will see many birds, butterflies and animals. The lady at reception said everything was harmless although one of the large male monkey-like creatures I encountered was a little alarming.

During my first night, I was kept awake for several hours by the most Chaucerian and energetic marital disagreement I have ever heard (I have been married 26 years so have heard one or two). The protagonists had thankfully left by my second night (after a lengthy second round the next morning). The hotel cannot be blamed for the 'anger  issues' suffered by those particular guests  but soundproofing of the lodges may need stepping up in case of noisy neighbours generally.

Food and restaurant service is very good indeed with excellent choice and quality.  There is a nice choice of wines and a friendly 'pub' for a drink after dinner or any other time of day! The spa is outstanding, well appointed, delightful therapists and a very wide range of high quality treatments and products.  You won't be short of things to do to while away your time.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a good walk away from the restaurant and bar so take care if you struggle. If you wan...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
B..C.
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Kloofzicht Lodge is beautiful, set in a very picturesque location near the Cradle of Humankind.
All staff were warm, friendly and efficient. We had a family room which we shared with our adult daughter. It was very clean, well appointed and beautifully decorated.with more than enough room for the three of us. The only small drawback was the distance from the main lodge to the suites which, for someone with difficulty walking was a chore. A golf cart to transport guests such as myself would definitely be a great asset. Providing room service would also be a welcome addition.

The meals were simply superb, the best we had during our African vacation and the dining service was fantastic.

The front desk staff arranged for a driver for us for a day of sightseeing. . Thanks to Piet, a very knowledgable gentleman for a fabulous day.

Kloofzicht Lodge is a gem.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muldersdrift
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
#2 of 5 in Muldersdrift
De Hoek Country Hotel
De Hoek Country Hotel
#1 of 7 in Magaliesburg

Been to Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!