“DO NOT STAY IN THIS HIJACKER HAVEN”

Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel only gets 1 star from me, because of security concerns. I arrived there with 4 other colleagues and we were hijacked at gunpoint in front of the hotel. Yes, believe it! At gunpoint in front of the hotel upon arrival from the airport. The thing that really bothers me is that we had told the hotel that we will be arriving early, because our flight landed at 5:20 am. No one was waiting to greet us (mind you this is a 5 star hotel), our beds weren't ready, no doorman. So it was the perfect opportunity for thieves.

The hotel knows that South Africa is a very dangerous place. Why didn't they have armed security? From the gate of the hotel to the front door of the lobby, it's about 2 kms. As soon as the thieves left with everything (literally everything, luggage, purses, jackets, watches, phones, passports, everything...), we alerted the hotel and apparently the gatekeeper locked the gate and fled. The thieves just used their guns to smash the padlock and they were gone with all of our stuff!

Furthermore, the hotel did nothing for us! As a matter of fact, they charged us for laundry and threatened to charge us for the phone calls we made to alert our families, credit card companies, and anything else you can imagine in a situation like this Thank God, we were there for a work conference, and our job took care of us. I am just wondering what would have happened if we were there on vacation!

All in all, I WOULD not recommend this hotel. It is NOT SAFE. South Africa is a beautiful country, but very unsafe, and this supposedly "5 star" hotel put our lives in danger by not having adequate security. And from what I have heard from the American embassy, these kinds of robberies are happening more and more in South Africa. Even more of a reason to have proper security.

Don't stay in this hotel.

Oh and I forgot... Some days I had my shower cap, other days not. The TV didn't work all the times, I just got tired of complaining. They did the laundry and lost my bra, I was really pissed, and the hotel manager drove to the laundrymat to find it. Originally they told that they would give me 200 rands which I thought was ridiculous. What was the basis?

Not a good experience

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank That_Baham_girl
Christa B, General Manager at Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

RESPONSE FROM MANO SEQUEIRA – GENERAL MANAGER KLOOFZICHT LODGE

Thank you so much for sharing your concerns regarding your stay at our Lodge. Firstly may I extend our deepest regrets again to you and the other three delegates for the emotional trauma you experienced. We fully appreciate that a highjacking incident is a very traumatic experience and we are so sorry this was your initial experience of our country.

We also unfortunately acknowledge that regrettably, crime is a plague that communities worldwide are battling with. In South Africa, and Muldersdrift particularly, we are highly security conscious and over the last 5 months have increased police presence in the area and introduced a number of other positive community initiatives which have all made Muldersdrift a much safer community.

This is the first incident of its type we have experienced at the hotel and we have taken the matter extremely seriously. We are liaising closely with other key tourism stakeholders and will continue to work closely with, and co-operate with, the SAPS to tighten up any potential weak links.

The comfort of our guests is of paramount importance to us and we are so sorry you had concerns about your stay. Unfortunately when you arrived early we had a full hotel booking the previous night and could only offer blankets and food and refreshments until the first rooms were vacated. We completely understand this must have felt inadequate after your ordeal.

I just wanted to once again reassure you we did take this incident very seriously and did everything in our power to assist. We did contact MTN immediately and as well as SATIB to assist with passports and trauma counselling. All of this information was passed through to MTN. MTN elected to manage the situation directly and we liaised closely with them. It was highly unfortunate that being a Sunday the embassies could not immediately assist but as soon as we could all relevant information was passed through to Lynette who was equally concerned about your wellbeing. We maintained contact with Lynette throughout your stay.

We understand that nothing we did could make up for the trauma and loss you experienced and once again extend our regrets.

Regards
MANO SEQUIERA
GENERAL MANAGER
KLOOFZICHT LODGE & SPA
gm@kloofzicht.co.za

Reviewed 2 September 2013

It's set up to be a 5-star but I give it 3-star. Potential is there but The serenity/ambience/scenery/rooms, are all 10-star but sadly that's where it ends - as someone has already put it. A few things I simply didn't find acceptable.....

1) No internet in the rooms. In today's world wi-fi is a must. I come from a 4th world country and there's free wi-fi available in virtually every hotel you move to. I expected better from a 5-star. Internet is only available in the lounge area. In other words, the rooms are simply a resting place.

2. Security appears lapse. In a highly insecure country like South Africa, you expect some king of "presence" of security personnel. I was there for one week but didn't see a single security personnel.

3. Yes there's DSTV but i wonder how they cannot have CNN or BBC on their menu....in addition to the fact that there's no internet in the rooms.

4. The conference rooms are just basic - nothing to add here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam181
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The first thing that captivated me about Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa is the majestic setting. The trout dams reflecting the surrounding Swartkops mountain makes you feel like you are sitting somewhere in Natal Midlands or Dullstroom. The rooms are luxurious and spacious and I will definately come back in summer to test out the outdoor shower. Food was delightful and really tasty. The service is up and down but generally very good. My highlight and the reason that I originally went to Kloofzicht, was the fly fishing. There are a total of 5 dams of which two are well stocked with Rainbow trout and two have bass & carp. The trout range from pan size (450g) to 2.5 kg. in a fly fishing competition a fly fisher caught a 4.1 kg trout so there are some trophy fish around. The main (and biggest) dam is restricted for club members and residents. I managed to land some bass and a few trout, the carp continue to evade me (there are some huge specimens in the dams). For the more experienced fly fishers there is small stream fishing for large and small scale yellow fish in the crocodile river (runs through the property). All in all this gem which is hidden in the Cradle of Mankind World Heritage site is definately worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SUNDOWNadv1
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for three nights. The rooms were beautiful with a romantic ambience about them. The fireplace was a clever touch especially in the chilly July winter nights. The staff were great except the security at the main gate who was quite unfriendly and seemed like he didn't want to be there.

Overall, it's a great establishment and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

The lodge is situated in a great location - only 30min from Johannesburg. The rooms are large, really beautiful and overlook a dam. That is where the 5 star ends unfortunately... The conference facilities are fairly average, for example we asked someone to bring us the remote for the air conditioning in our conference room but we never got one. So the room was freezing in the morning and boiling hot in the afternoon.

Upon arrival, the porters took us to our rooms by walking straight through the middle of a wedding receptions cocktail function. If I was in the wedding party I would be seriously upset by a bunch of strangers lugging their luggage through my wedding!

There were also a few issues in my room. Nothing too serious, but definitely not 5 star!

This place has serious potential, but needs to improve its attention to detail! If they were not rating themselves as a five star establishment, I would have given an overall rating of "very good". But for a 5 star lodge, this is definitely only average...

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Saar01
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The property is amazing, however from an operational level Kloofzicht deserves a 3* rating at the most.. this is most definitely not 5*. I received a free night due to the appalling service I received on my first stay - zero service and a hole in my bed sheet. This time round I was even more disappointed - I sent a mail to the Ops Manager who I am still waiting on a response - this is a shortened version of my mail to Udo Weimann:

How can this possibly be rated a 5* establishment, when:-
A- You don't offer room service
B- My access card did not work when initially entering the room and had to wait for the porter to run back to reception to get another activated card
C- A light in the bathroom was not working
D- The bar had no biltong or dry wors (seriously!!! after being told by reception I could order from the bar)
E- The bar had no cranberry
E- There was no two pin plug available in the entire resort for me to charge my phone.
F- The bar fridge in the room was empty

I think they must have paid some person to get the 5* rating, because this is definitely not a 5* establishment. Once cannot simply rely on the beauty of the property when from an operational level it is such a disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I booked for dinner to celebrate my husband’s 40th birthday. I was very disappointed with the entire experience.

We were not greeted at the restaurant and had to stand and wait for someone to notice us and show us to our table right next to the rowdy conference group in the restaurant and in the middle of the walkway for the waiters.

Not quite the start to the romantic five star restaurant experience I had planned and it did not get much better after that…

We were then seated on the patio at a very wonky table that almost fell over. Thankfully when the door was closed between us and the main restaurant, we could hear each other and have a conversation.

I ordered a Kahlua coffee that arrived cold and had to be sent back.

The food presentation was very nice, but tasted no different than any other average restaurant. I paid R225 pp for a R150 pp meal. I expect much more form a five star restaurant. My husband’s steak was so raw that he couldn’t finish it.

In fact, for the price I paid for the evening I should have rather gone to The Steak Restaurant at Silverstar Casino.

I would have had an excellent three course meal, with better service and a much better atmosphere for the same price…

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muldersdrift
Forum Homini Hotel
#4 of 7 in Magaliesburg
Avianto
Avianto
#2 of 5 in Muldersdrift

Been to Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!