“Great One”

Cairo, Egypt
“Great One”
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Excellent Choice.
The only comment that I have is the poor quality of the WiFi.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Egyptian-Advisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
South Africa
Reviewed 11 December 2008

My wife and I celebrated our 10 year Anniversary at Kloofzicht Lodge. What else can I say but Wow!

Being a global traveller myself, there are certain requirements I expect of a 5 star establishment, and Kloofzicht had it all. From being welcomed at Kloofzicht Lodge we were treated like royalty. The only thing that lacked in making me and my wife feel like we were celebrities was that there was no red carpet :)

The service was impeccable, from check in, throughout our entire stay.
The food and service in the restaurant was exceptionally good.

I would reccommend Kloofzicht Lodge to anyone looking for a breakaway in natural surroundings close to the buzzing city.

Kloofzicht Lodge truly is a home away from Home.

• Liked — The beautiful and spaceous rooms. the service was also superb.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corrievdm
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2008

On the surface Kloofzicht Lodge looks amazing. The setting is fantastic and the rooms large and well appointed in a beautiful layout. However, you soon realise that this is lodge is not the ''essence of tranquillity' that they advertise.

After checking in, we went to have lunch. The restaurant was totally empty and 5 or 6 staff were just standing talking to each other. We asked to be seated outside as the weather was lovely. Despite having nothing to do, the staff made it plainly obvious we were creating a huge inconvenience by asking them to set up a table on the terrace area of the restaurant.

Later I discovered that half the lights in my bathroom didn't work and that the safe wouldn't re-open after I carefully followed the instructions.

At dinner the service continued to poor. Having taken our order (including asking us to select a desert from the outset which seemed unusual) an unannounced first course arrived. As our table had some guests with special dietary requirements we enquired as to what this course was and the waiter had no idea and had to go and ask someone! We ordered wine and the bottle was taken away afterwards - our glasses were never refilled and we had to eventually ask the waiter. All round, the staff did their best but came across as lacking experience - especially as this is supposed to be a 5 star lodge.

We returned to our rooms and were shocked to find that immediately next to the bedroom lodge was a major karaoke party in full swing. The 'music' was outrageously loud and the large number of guest were rowdy and drunk. It was totally impossible to relax and unwind.

I complained about the noise but was bluntly told that 'we cater for these types of events'. They refused to ask for the excessive behaviour to be calmed down and was told they were not responsible for their guests behaviour and that I simply had to wait for the party to end.

In light of this I asked to be moved to a different room away from the noise. No help was offered to move. My new room was away from the party but the noise was still loud and continued late into the night forcing me to have a sleeping tablet to get to sleep.

In addition my new room was extremely cold, I had the heating on maximum but it was insufficient to heat the room. A gas fire is provided but it had run out of gas. In the end I had to sleep in my clothes to keep warm - hardly 5 star experience.

This place is best avoided.

• Liked — Amazing setting
  • Disliked — Unacceptable noise
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2008

My wife and I stayed at Kloofzicht only for 1 night. It was our wedding anniversary and we treated each other to a night away from home. The location of this lodge is great. Considering it's only a 30 minute drive from Johannesburg it really is easily accessible and easy to get to. Set in the Cradle Of Humankind, the lodge is surrounded by beautiful hills and great scenery! Awesome in fact.

Here's the problem, their service is rubbish and the previously disadvantaged staff who have all got employment at the lodge clearly need more training. I am all for helping out the locals when it comes to employment but when it's to the detriment of your service...I am not so sure.
Kloofzicht claims to be a 5 star resort and has 5 star prices to match! Please beware though, you'll only get 4 star service and amenities.

No room service, only buffet food available which I might add is rather average!

Light bulbs were out in our room and the safe didn't work.
The gas for the fireplace was about to run out so we couldn't use that properly either!

I'd say overall, an averagely nice place to stay but one can do better in the area.

Not a great stay.

• Liked — The Setting
  • Disliked — The poor service and high prices!!! This says it's 5 star..it's only 4 star!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank IanFraser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muldersdrift
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
#4 of 7 in Magaliesburg
Budmarsh Country Lodge
Budmarsh Country Lodge
#2 of 7 in Magaliesburg

Been to Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!