“Excellent Carpaccios”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Sandton, South Africa
“Excellent Carpaccios”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Wijnhuis Newlands is a great place for a solid meal. I enjoyed the variety of wines available by the glass and different size options ie. from 150ml to a carafe of 370ml.
We started with two carpaccios - the Kudu and Beef carpaccio. Both were excellent. The 400g Rump that I had for my main course was also very good and well aged.

Service was attentive and the restaurant vibey.

• Visited January 2014

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Bleek!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I am absolutely devastated with the revamped decor. Wijnhuis has been my favorite restaurant for many years and I have always made a point of bringing overseas visitors for a meal here, and they too shared my delight with the decor, food, service and general ambiance. Why the change?! (Surely it was a winning recipe?) The menu is now a disappointment and frankly the new upholstery and furniture look tacky and done on a low budget. Perhaps the revamp has increased business and if so good luck to the owners. But I for one am sad to no longer be able frequent what was such a classic eatery.

Visited November 2013
Durban, South Africa
“Expensive and average”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

After hearing this restaurant was so great, we were disappointed not only in the service but also that the prices did not justify the meals received. I don't think we would return in a hurry.

• Visited November 2013
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Fun with footy”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We came here for a family party so tended not to concentrate on the food but I had kingclip which was good. Pity about the big TV screens but I guess that's good for footy enthusiasts. A fun place and quite buzzy

Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

They have a interesting menu with a lot of choice. There are some very good starters to share and there is a good choice of meat dishes. The food was very tasty and the portion sizes were large. Service was very good and they have a nice wine list. Overall a very good evening.

• Visited October 2013