“Good food but pricey”

Rock Sushi Thai
Ranked #13 of 19 Restaurants in Newlands
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Rock Sushi (THAI) began in the picturesque fishing village of Hermanus in 2004, when owner of the Harbour Rock Restaurant, Francois Barnard, decided to expand the repertoire of his highly successful seaside restaurant. A Master Sushi chef was headhunted, and alterations on a new kitchen within the building began. Thai Cuisine has always been known for its clean, fresh flavours. Beautifully fragrant ingredients like ginger, lemongrass and coriander give Thai cuisine its distinct and unique flavour, loved by people the world over. Rock (SUSHI) Thai is an embodiment of this mantra.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good food but pricey”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Overall the food was very good. Sushi was good and the Thai-style dishes were excellent. Wine prices are expensive and the service was mediocre - I was not told about the sushi-specials until after I had ordered (something similar for a higher price) and it was too late to change.
I love this style food so will probably go back and give them another try.

Visited March 2014

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good food good service”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just to quickly say we've eaten here a few times and I would do the drive from Durbanville again as its a lovely venue, fine service and meals are fresh and good. Only negative is the desserts could be improved on.

• Visited February 2014
“Sushi in Newlands”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our local shopping area has seen many food outlets come - and then quickly go. When Rock Sushi opened last year we all got excited, as here was a very different restaurant, and we all hope it was here to stay. Well, over 12 months has gone past, and Rock Sushi is still going strong, and its doors are open everyday! We have been more than a couple of times, even taking my mother who lives in Spain, and before that in the Far East, and she was impressed too!
The decor is modern, the service great, food wonderful. I personally have never had an 'off-day' meal there, and have always found the team welcoming and very helpful. In summer, tables outside would be nice, but hey, you can;t have everything!

• Visited June 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best corn cakes and noodles in town!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I love this place, its around the corner from our house. I love the food, from the sushi to the noodle dishes. I am never disappointed although when I do order something hot I expected to be spicy! But the extra chilly on the table made up for the mild. Waiters are sincere and friendly. I absolutely love the food here!!!

1 Thank Sonja N
Cape Town, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

The service was absolutely shocking! We waited 45 minutes for our starters and another hour for our mains. Our waiter forgot to bring our drinks and we had to remind him numerous times. 1 table walked out and the three tables around us all had complaints. The food was just terrible and the service was worse. I definitely do not recommend this restaurant

• Visited January 2014