“Not ordinary”

Southern Sun Newlands
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed in the hotel in July as our son had come to Cape Town on a sports tour with is school. We chose the hotel because its where all the parents stay, being central to the area where our boys were playing. Being part of a chain of hotels, we were expecting a certain standard, but nothing more.
We were more than pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel is managed and staffed by a team who behave as if their hotel is a boutique hotel and everyone, but everyone, we encountered during our stay found a way to go out of their way to help and make our stay more pleasant.
The reception staff were friendly and welcoming and remembered small details which made all the difference.
The food and beverage staff were fantastic, knowledgable and enthusiatic at every turn. The one glitch being the barman on duty who didn't know how to make a margarita, wanting to rim the glass with sugar instead of salt! But he was more than happy to correct his mistake as I explained to him and he promised to make great margaritas from then on.
Our breakfast server was so proud of the cuppucinos the hotel serves and took great pride in making them for our party every morning.
The staff set out a welcoming table every evening with treats for the guests coming in from the cold - one night it was a popcorn machine with freshly popped corn, another night it was a little sweet counter with tiny brown paper bags to help yourself to. A charming and very unique touch.
Directions were printed out to help us find our way, guests were moved to more suitable rooms without fuss and all of us early check-ins were brought tea and coffee in the lounge as the hotel rushed to ready our rooms for us.
People say South Africans don't know anything about good service! Well, a stay at the Southern Sun, Newlands will make you realise that's only because you haven't been staying in the right hotels!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DbnGirl08
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thank you very much for the lovely review. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful comments. I will ensure I share them with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Newlands.
Take care
We all wish you and your family an incredible festive season.
Kind regards

Reviewed 14 November 2012

My husand and I had visited this hotel earlier this year and were very disappointed. When the general manager, Sebastian Berinato, read my review on TA, he immediately got in touch with personally to apologise. On top of this, he offered us a complimentary weekend at the hotel.

We flew down to Cape Town in September to visit the Whale Festival and stayed at the hotel again. I can honestly say we were completely spoiled and looked after; the staff were amazingly friendly and nothing was too much trouble - and to top it all, we were given a suite!

A fantastic example of a general manager realising the power of social media and going out of his way to ensure our experience with the hotel again was an exceptional one. We loved our weekend, it was very special and we absolutely loved staying at the hotel again. I would highly recommend it.

I would also highly recommend in the Indian restaurant in the hotel, Birhani - one of the best Indian meals we have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnie07
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you very much for the lovely comments. It was a pleasure having you stay with us, your comments have been shared with the team. It is always great receiving such positive feedback .
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 November 2012

This is a good hotel for business trips, but, as there isn't any pool or anywhere to sit outside, it isn't ideal for holidays. The staff are all amazingly polite, friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well appointed - I especially liked the cafetierre in the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The toiletries were of good quality and the two restaurants - one Indian and the other general - were good value for money and had excellent quality food. The breakfast was very good if a tad odd - creamed spinah and fishcakes were on the buffet for instance. The "My lunch" available for R85, was prepared for me every day and was very good value. All in all, an excellent experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Vadders thank you for the lovely review. Apologies for the fish cakes and creamed spinach, we had a little group in house who requested these items so we thought why not leave them on the buffet and test for comments.
I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.
Big thanks

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel this week for 2 nights on a business trip.
Firstly it was very convenient for where I was working, and even if you wanted to go the city or waterfront, it is not too far, although there may be some traffic at peak times.
The staff, from the porter who carried my suitcase to the people welcoming you for breakfast, were very friendly and helpful, checking in was easy and quick. My room had a lovely view of the mountain, and was clean, spacious and comfortable. My favourite in room advantage was having a coffee plunger and filter coffee instead of those little satches of instant coffee. I really enjoyed that as well as the biscuits and the little welcoming chocolates.

Breakfast was great, the hotel was very quiet while I was there, so service was quick. Very nice cappucinos. There was also a great variety of food, different breads, pastries, fruit, cereal, cheeses and cold meats, as well as hot dishes.

There are a lot of good restaurants near by, and the location is quite central. The parking area was very well lit at night, so even when I got back late, I felt quite safe.

Overall I had a pleasant experience, and would definitely stay there on future visits.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view, lovely to see in the morning.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Ester thankyou very much for the lovely comments you have written about the Southern Sun Newlands. Glad you enjoyed our plunger coffee. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Nice comfortable and manageable hotel.
Staff were very good and check in straight forward.
Breakfast cafe area a little small to cater for hotel guests if busy.
Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable big double bed.
Bathrooms small and hot cold was inconsistant but ok.
Generally not bad but could put a little more into earning those 4 stars vs the price for a double room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your comments. Sincere apologies for the hot water fluctuation, we have subsequently rectified the matter.
I look forward to your next visit and possibly a longer stay.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

It’s our 1st year matrimony anniversary and I and My Wife Miriam, we would like to thank The Management and Staff of Southern Sun Newlands Hotel for honoring our one night stay in your Hotel on 6th October 2011 as honeymooners during our visit to Cape Town after our marriage.
A wonderful Hotel Team made our pleasant stay and they really make it worth, while away from home. Thank you a lot and please keep up that excellent service onwards. “Southern Sun Newlands you have arrived”

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Southern Sun Newlands. I look forward to hosting you again on your return to the Mother City.
Warm regards

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Overall, this hotel is fairly good. The beds and linen are comfortable, the toiletries are rather nice. But there are too many small problems for a 'four star' hotel. The shower temperature was very uneven; the hot/cold taps in the bathroom were the wrong way round; when breakfast was busy it could take 15 minutes to get coffee served. The hotel is also a bit isolated at night if you don't have your own transport, and (in common with most of Cape Town) it takes ages to get a taxi (15 minutes' wait for a 10 minute ride...).

Fairly convenient for some places (UCT, SAB, rugby and cricket grounds)... but inconvenient for the best things that Cape Town has to offer.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you for posting your comments. I sincerely apologise for the inverted tap indicators on your basin and for the delay in serving you coffee. I appreciated your positive comments and fully understand the fact that our location did not suit your needs. Next time you visit Cape town I reccommend our sister hotels on the Waterfront namely the Cullinan or the Southern Sun Waterfront.
Kind regards
Sebastian Berinato

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands
Southern Sun The Cullinan
Southern Sun The Cullinan
#27 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Tow...
#33 of 110 in Cape Town Central
The Westin Cape Town
The Westin Cape Town
#28 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Southern Sun Newlands? Share your experiences!