“Really Friendly Staff”

Southern Sun Newlands
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Reviewed 13 May 2013

In Cape Town for the Two Oceans Marathon - 3 night stay over Easter – and this hotel is perfectly placed for the start line. The staff were amazing, they were knowledgeable about the Marathon, had a special “carb” evening meal before the run, a runners breakfast at 4.30am for the 6am marathon start. Lots of energy drinks, popcorn and fruit in reception…they were set up for this event. They even had massages available for the runners afterwards. Above and beyond the call of duty, and very impressive.

This hotel knows it’s client base, whether it is business men, runners or families with children.

The rooms were comfortable, bright, bathrooms were good with plenty of hot water, towels and generous products. I would say that the décor was a little tired in the bathrooms, but everything was clean and well presented. Breakfasts were well laid out buffets. Plenty of fruit, muesli, yogurt for the healthy, hot food of potatoes, bacon, eggs and more for those seeking a different choice. Staff ran around ensuring drinks were served and tables cleared.

The one thing to mention is that if you are planning Waterfront visits, the cable car to Table Mountain or Robben Island, then this is not really the best hotel. It’s not near any tourist area, it doesn’t pretend to cater for tourists. It was however perfectly placed for the Two Oceans – 100 metres from the start line. Couldn’t have been better.

This hotel delivers on the important things. The staff went out of their way to make our stay memorable and comfortable, we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

It was an absolute pleasure to have read your review pertaining to our hotel and the delivery during the Two Oceans Marathon.

We are most pleased to know that we exceeded your expecations and that the services offered was such a hit!

In addition to the above we do hope to see you for the next marathon, however if you are in Cape Town prior to that please do let us know so that we can ensure another comfortable stay.

Kind Regards

Nabila Cassim

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed at the property for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay. Rooms are comfortable and staff is courteous. Lots of places nearby to go for dinner and an Indian restaurant right within the Hotel premises in case you don't want a pizza or spaghetti any more. You can hear the sound of the winds even with the windows closed. On day one I could not sleep but day 2 I got accustomed to the sound.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sharadd
Nabila C, Rooms Division Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Many thanks for your feedback. I am most pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we met your expectations.

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience with regards to the wind keeping you awake on your first night.

I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Nabila Cassim

Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I just spent a long weekend at the Sun and found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. It's the first time we have stayed in Newlands and it is a very central location. Really good option if you do not want to be in the hub of the tourist district.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Thank you for completing a review. Thankyou for the lovely comments. The team and I look forward to yuor next visit.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed for three nights, the staff and reception was very friendly and efficient. The room has two comfortable double beds, a flat screen TV, with all the DSTV movie channels, tea and coffee making facilities. The air conditioner was a bit noisy; however I preferred to open the huge sliding window for cool fresh air from outside. The view of the mountain was stunning.

Some previous guest dyed his/her hair in the bathtub and stained it, so although it is clean it may at first glance appear not to be. The bathroom is a bit dated but functional, the bathtub is small and is not fitted with a hand shower. There is a permanent shower mounted on the wall above the bath with good water pressure. I don't like to use these because the shower curtain normally tends to be pulled in, by warm air rising, and stick to your body and it never prevents the floor from getting wet.

The breakfast buffet was superb and included the full variety from juice, croissants, cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurt, to fresh salmon, all styles of eggs, bacon, various pork/beef/lamb sausages, fish, hash browns, fried tomato, mushrooms, etc. Service during breakfast was superb, before you sat down the waiter was offering tea or coffee and freshly made toast and was ready to take your order for eggs.

I had dinner at the Indian restaurant downstairs and the curry prawn pot was delicious. You can order mild, medium, hot or Indian Hot. I ordered mild and it as perfect, no burning throat, tears or running nose.

I was on business in Mowbray and found it to be well worth staying here. If you leave for the office around 8am the traffic may be a bit hectic so try to avoid the roads between 7:15am and 8:45am. I’m going back in April, on business, for two weeks and definitely staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for the lovely detailed report. I will gladly share your wonderful comments with the team. Apologies for the dye marks in the bathroom will tend to it immediately.
I assure you we all look forward to your next visit.
Take care

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I had come to associate the Southern Sun brand (now Tsogo Sun) with low-budget family holidays and average food. I was recently pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Newlands property. Staff were helpful and friendly, room was immaculate and well-appointed, very comfortable bed.

Breakfast was superb with no queue and GREAT coffee - order a skinny decaf cappuccino with your 5-star breakfast if you want. The only thing that prevents me from giving this 5 stars overall is location. Most vacationing travellers to Cape Town are not after hotels in Newlands and environs, they want the sea views and the close proximity to tourist attractions. Having said that, if you are there on business, I would strongly recommend the hotel.

They have completely revised my opinion of the brand. I look forward to my next stay in one of these hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Thank you for the lovely review. I look forward to many more visits to come and I assure you your skinny latte will await.
I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the team and they were happy that you were" pleasantly surprised".
We all look forward to your next visit.
Warmest regards

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Not really a business hotel. Seems to be geared for sports teams. Very poor bathroom. Location convenient for me but not good tourist location. Breakfast area crowded and food presentation poor. .............

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank johnanthonycooper
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear Mr Cooper, Sincere apologies for your disappointing stay. Your points have been noted and training will take place in order to avoid further breakfast congestions. Some of our bathrooms have been upgraded and if you allow me on your next visit I would like to place you in one of our 6th floor rooms. These rooms have a view of Table Mountain.
Loooking forward to hosting you on your next visit to CapeTown.
With renewed apologies
Kind regards

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I decided on a surprise visit to my daughter over the festive season. Unfortunately had to change my plans for accommodation. I was really lucky to get 2 nights at your hotel considering that it was a last minute arrangement. Then I managed to get a third night which really made the whole trip easy for me. Thank you so much Southern Sun, without your hotel and very efficient staff, my trip would have been a disaster.

• Stayed: December 2012
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thankyou for the lovely review. Glad we were of assistance and extremely glad you enjoyed your stay.
I sincerely hope we will get another visit when you are next in Cape Town.
I will share your comments with the team.
Wishing you a stunning 2013.
Warm regards
Sebastian

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands
Southern Sun The Cullinan
Southern Sun The Cullinan
#27 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Tow...
#32 of 110 in Cape Town Central
The Westin Cape Town
The Westin Cape Town
#28 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Southern Sun Newlands? Share your experiences!