“Mihloti”

Southern Sun Newlands
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Excellent service. Hospitality redefined. E enjoyed the service and I will definitely visit again. Only improve your dinner, do not keep the guests waiting while you are preparing for supper. Otherwise I love your service

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, bar the delay for dinner. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.
I do hope that you will accept my apology in the spirit that it is offered.

In addition to the above the Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our two night stay at the Newlands Sun was fantastic. Staff were great in all departments and everything was spotless and I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Beds soooo comfortable. Location very central to Cavendish.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely feedback.

The Team and I are most pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Friendliness, made me feel at home. Cleanliness was of a high standard. The area was great and I enjoyed the free vouchers that I got to visit the Sport Science Gym. I enjoyed the coffee and plunger in my room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your custom and for your lovely review.

We are most pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Nabila

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My family appreciate the service we received from this hotel. It was an excellent one, the staff were wonderful and the breakfast is incomparable to any other. From the first day to the last day of our stay, we never have any reason to feel negative about this hotel. The staff are from another planet in good service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I am most pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff met your expectations.

The fact that we could make your stay that much more comfortable gives us great satisfaction.

The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Never disapointed at this hotel. The service is on point, breakfast is a real treat and the rooms are really clean. The upgrade to the rooms, carpets and decor that was done a few years ago, looks modern and stylish. Always happy to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JPRinZA

Thank you for your continuous custom and for your lovely feedback.

I am pleased to note that the team can create great memories, which ultimately leads to your return!

The Team and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The Newlands Sun is located near the Newlands Cricket and Rugby stadiums, and mountain facing rooms have a beautiful view of Devil's Peak. The hotel seems to have been recently modernised, which has been done very well - the decoration is modern with good choice of colour schemes and the overall effect is a simple, clean and modern design with some character. We had a "triple" room which (for two adults and a child of 8), which effectively meant two (small) double beds in a somewhat small floor area, and the bathroom is quite small, but we did not spend much time in the room, so the lack of space was not really an issue. Practically, the size of the double bed is a bit on the small side for two adults (but our daughter was very happy with a double bed to herself!). The room was clean and well serviced by housekeeping. The only reservation I have about the room is the window, which is an aluminium sliding type where unfortunately it doesn't quite seal on both sides when closed (it seals either on one side or the other), and this lets noise in from the main road and also there seem to be a lot of trucks coming and going from (I assume) the brewery opposite. Also, I would question the insulating properties of the window - not a problem for us in early May as it was not too hot, but in summer with the full force of the sun, the shade film applied with the single glazing would not be enough, in my option, which would necessitate using the air-conditioning all night (which is efficient, but noisy for night-time use). Aside from these points, overall we found the hotel a very pleasant place to stay. The staff are extremely kind and attentive to children, and extremely helpful. The food in the restaurant (we only tried Newlands Cafe) is simple, but extremely well cooked to the point that it tastes home made. The children's menu, in particular is very well done, not too salty and very tasty. The speed of service in the restaurant is quite leisurely in terms of the time it takes from order to food on table, but this is not a problem unless you need to get your tired child to bed... Overall, a very good 3-star hotel, and excellent value for money

Room Tip: For a family it may be worth considering a suite (or at least a bigger room than the standard size)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for your custom and for your detailed feedback.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the experience. I shall, however revert to our Maintenance Manager to check the windows.

In addition to the above we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Second stay at this very conveniently located hotel, near they Cavendish Shopping Centre, the virgin gym as well University of Cape Town about 4 Kms away. Service was good but I must mention the excellent service by the breakfast team. Very proactive and enthusiastically ready to serve, Well done.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for your continuous custom and for your lovely review.

I am pleased to note that this is your second stay and that you enjoyed the experience.

In addition to the above I shall be sure to pass on your feedback to the team and in particular the breakfast team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Rooms Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Vineyard Hotel
Southern Sun The Cullinan
Southern Sun The Cullinan
#24 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Tow...
#32 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Taj Cape Town
Taj Cape Town
#15 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Southern Sun Newlands? Share your experiences!