“Divine evening and personal attention from the host.” 5 of 5 bubbles

La Madeleine
Ranked #20 of 665 Restaurants in Pretoria
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At La Madeleine we invite you to savour the wonderful world of bistronomy where classic French and Belgian cuisine de terroir country recipes are combined with high skill bistronomic techniques at affordable prices.
South Africa
“Divine evening and personal attention from the host.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Warm reception, beautiful ambiance, menu of the evening personally described to you at your table by the Belgian chef and owner, great wine list, good background music. Truly fine evening. Thoroughly recommended!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lawrence_Kilner

Columbus, Ohio
“Good top posh nosh, military style.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

The food was excellent in that it was different to the usual combination of flavors at other local restaurants. It's of indisputably fresh ingredients that create an imaginative menu. There are endless courses though (7)! That said, the portions were just right to get through them despite us not going for dessert. I'm not sure how very (absolutely) French some of the dishes were, but I (absolutely) loved everything I ate. I was particularly spellbound by the mussels cooked in cider and something creamy. The food was a bit rich going from course to course. Choose wisely in that case because the menu is not written down! The chef comes to each table to run through it (mumbling fast). Make an effort to listen carefully and remember what he says because he will repeat options to each course at each table, and it eventually looks tiring (in fact he looked slightly annoyed with our indecision and asking him to repeat what he said due to being unsure as a result of his accent). Poor man. How does he muster this every night?! We had a great table by the fireplace and overall not much to complain about. Of course there was the small matter that the entire ordering and cutlery-changing process ran like a military operation. One must be attentive! The waiters were also under much pressure and barely had a chance to break a smile. Two of them were also French-speaking, so that was a nice touch to the overall Frenchness for sale. I would go there again, in my best behavior considering that were seated next to government dignitaries, etc. I was expecting to pay top dollar for the experience, and top dollar I paid. It was well worth every penny though.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Aria E
pretoria
“still one of the best restaurants in pretoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Small menu which ensures good quality. The food is always elegantly prepared and the quality is very good. Portion sizes are smaller as I would expect from a bistro serving French cuisine. I have eaten here so many times that I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant especially after having eaten at a number of mediocre establishments in Paris. Keep up the good work!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank lawry-m
Pretoria
“A lovely lunch on Father's Day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife took her father, my son and I to La Madeleine for Father's Day lunch. It was my first visit there and I didn't have any especially high expectations (it was a surprise). We opted for a late lunch and were accommdated in the relaxed garden setting. It was a treat to hear the chef describe the menu to the table adjacent to us and then do the same for us without seeming to be tired of the repetition. The food was tasty, if somewhat understated. On the negative side, my nine year old son was given different food options to us and the food didn't look too interesting. When I later quizzed my wife on the cost of his meal she said that he was charged the same set price as we were. If we had known that upfront I would rather have had him order what we did because the options were more interesting and the portion size better. The desserts were the highlight! And that coming from someone who normally doesn't order dessert.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Brendan H
Pretoria, South Africa
“Disappointing & Completely Over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I took my wife to this highly acclaimed restaurant on her birthday and we were both highly disappointed. The food was only average and the wine list poor. The ambience was poor and the conceited staff and owner gave one the impression they were doing you a favour by serving you. We are food and wine enthusiasts and have eaten at many of the best restaurants in South Africa and France and this establishment is completely over-rated and over-priced for the quality on offer. It is only trading on its past reputation.There are many better restaurants in Pretroria. Will definitely not be back ! Kenneth & Petra Fisher.

• Visited January 2013