“A comfortable place to stay when on business”

Cascades Guest House
Ranked #25 of 358 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A comfortable place to stay when on business”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Cascades is larger than the average S African B and B. The rooms vary in size but some are very generous indeed. Nicely furnished, good breakfasts and peaceful, pretty garden. Security is good although parking a bit restricted. Some rooms lack privacy (big windows with other guests walking past) The gas heaters provided for chilly evenings are effective but a bit tricky to start. The B and B is in a quiet residential street but only five minutes from Brooklyn for dining out. Probably better if you have a car.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms which look onto the car park or main paths
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hi lizo2121,

Great that you enjoyed Cascades, our garden is our pride and joy and the good location probably one of the best reasons for staying with us!
It probably sounds terribly lame, but I never realised that this room has no lace curtains, most others have and I will immediately get some. Thanks for the reminder.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Here on a week’s business and I spend most of my life staying in overpriced hotel-chains around the world. I was told that, in Pretoria, you are better off staying in a guest-house and not a hotel; so I did.

It was very nice, the lady on the front desk is wonderful, the rooms largish, clean and functional if not luxurious; the bathroom functional, the Wi-Fi works (and can cope with business like use) there is a nice balcony and sitting out area. And (although I did not use it - it has a pool). It is based in a quiet residential area - all the big gates and security is a bit off-putting at first - but it is central and (seems) to have quick access to most of the central town. Very relaxing and comfortable.

The downside - after a hard day ...... you get back and then have to go and find something to eat in a restaurant which is a hassle. Shame (if catering for business folk) that you cannot get a snack / light meal in the evening as driving about looking for supper is ...... a hassle.

The big test - would I stay again. Yes absolutely!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hi Gavin,
Thanks for the positive review! I think having free wifi available is essential and is glad that it coped with your requirements.
It is obviously not advertised well enough, but if requested before 10am, we do provide evening meals! Please make use of this next time.
Regards,
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Thank you so much for accommodating us on our wedding night, we loved our stay and will definitely return again!

Strawberries, champagne and the flowers was a special touch, keep up the great work!

Jacques & Andrea Jones

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Hi Jacques and Andrea, you looked so beautiful and happy when arriving, hope this will be how your married life will be!
Solna, Sweden
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is a very nice and friendly guest house. We stayed there in August 2013. We were well taken care of by the couple running the guest house, good rooms, wifi, breakfast, always helpful. Quiet and safe. We can really recommend a stay there. Cecilia with family.......

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thanks Cecilia!
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at Cascades Guesthouse for 5 nights with a Dutch colleague when we went to Pretoria for research work. Was on recommendation of my husband. Different type of rooms to choose from; all looked comfortable, very clean. Would appreciate a bigger working table in the room though. A little table and chair outside room is very handy. Quiet and safe area; walking distance to a shopping centre with great variety of restaurants, a pharmacy, food store, liquor store etc. Easily accessible from city and different areas, parking available or just use the taxi service that they usually use. Cascades also had no problem with us having a meeting with a colleague one morning at the breakfast area. Comfy couches indoors.I like the fact that one can use the fridge to stock things that need to be kept cold. Good breakfast. Lovely communal outdoor area with tables and chairs at pool where you can relax (or sit and work like we did). Not sure if that area might get busy in the summer time? My Dutch colleague was also very impressed with Cascades. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the deluxe room without A/C and did not find it to be a problem in the month of Septembe...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you, Griet, for the detailed review!
We have a conference centre, which, when not booked, can be used for work. There are many tables.
Our central location is one of our best selling points; Waterkloof is a lovely area to stay, exercise or shop in.
We like all our guests to feel at home with us and I am looking forward to host you again!
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 23 July 2013

During last June I visited Pretoria a couple of times and I stayed in this familiar guesthouse. I can give only compliments. The owners are ready to help you in any query you may have, take good care of you and make sure that you feel like at home (needless to say that the superb breakfast you will enjoy, it helps). I only regretted not to enjoy the nice patio they have, but it was too cold to stay outside. You always must leave something for your next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Oh Sylvia, what better words to warm my heart in the winter! I appreciate that you enjoy our guest house and our hospitality!
Looking forward to welcome you in summer, the garden is exquisite then...
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I regularly stay at Cascades when I have meetings in Pretoria so I call it my home away from home as that's how it feels. Comfortable, stylish, excellent breakfasts, lovely people, beautiful surroundings - everything you need. When I stay there, I go for a run in the mornings and it's a real treat - such a stunning area. Oh, and there are great shops and restaurants just around the corner. Thank you Estelle and colleagues.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ericksons4
Ansie7ster, Owner at Cascades Guest House, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
What a wonderful compliment, thank you! This is probably the best area of Pretoria to be in, it is safe and beautiful. Waterkloof Centre and Brooklyn Mall has just been refurbished and has a great selection of fashion, housewares and restaurants.