“Nice Quiet B & B”

Ranked #9 of 356 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice Quiet B & B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was a very quiet and comfortable inn. The breakfast was very good and the employees were very informed on everything. It was easy to get to the local parks and had beautiful surroundings. I would recommend this to any travelers in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marilyn M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this conveniently located guesthouse and generally had a very positive experience. The finishes in this guesthouse are of a high standard from when you drive in all the way through the public spaces and into the rooms.

We shared our room with our son who slept on a fold out bed which made space a little tight but we were ok for 2 nights. It was great to have access to a well equipped kitchenette and bar counter which is installed on the one side of the room. Breakfast was included but isn't anything to write home about. Our room was down a short under cover outside passage that leads off the main lounge areas so we were able to make use of these after we had put our son to bed.

Be aware that the reception closes relatively early so if you need anything in the evening there is no one available to help you. While I don't expect guesthouses to run 24hr receptions like hotels, I think it would be appropriate for a 4* guesthouse to at least have someone on standby.

The sleep quality for me is always a challenge as I am sensitive to over hard mattresses and I like a dark room. On this occasion the mattress was fine but it never ceases to amaze me how many guesthouses insist on having very bright outside lights (with no way of turning them off) and then not providing suitable light blocking curtains. On the first night I resorted to creating a dark tunnel for the light with plastic tablecloths and when I spoke to the guesthouse about the light they kindly disconnected it for me - kudos to them for their response! Now can you put a blind in the bathroom so that the light doesn't shine through the glass door! At least give people the option of having a dark room...

Overall the guesthouse is a good one with high quality finishes and reasonable service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rollingstone2000
Botswana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed for one night only. I would probably rate it higher if not for three or four things: view from the window was of backyard, wash-line and corrugated iron rooftops; I personally distaste when blankets are used instead of duvets, as I am certain they do not get washed after every use and I do not want to think who was using it before us; the other thing I do not like are bed covers, especially if I find some human hair underneath them, like I did here.
I had some bad experiences previously with paying accommodation via Internet bookings, so I contacted the establishment directly. By doing so, I actually paid higher price then what I was quoted on Web. Maybe the room was bigger or something else, but I was not offered an explanation. Their check out time is 10 o'clock. When I booked the room, I specified that we would be able to check out only around 11 o'clock and confirmed that it was acceptable by the establishment. My husband had a business meeting to attend and I remained in a room with our daughter waiting for him. When he was not back by 11 o'clock, I called reception to check if it was OK to remain in the room for another 15 or so minutes, but was requested to vacate the room and wait in the lobby. I do not blame them much for this, even though I said around 11 o'clock, not 11 exactly, when booked, but it would have been much nicer if we were given some courtesy time, as my husband actually came back by 11:20.
This all said, I want to mention the positives as well. Neighbourhood is safe and location is very good. Rooms are specious and well equipped. It looks recently renovated and it is pleasantly decorated and clean. Breakfast is OK. They were really accommodating about our booking. They requested card details, but did not charge anything to it prior to our arrival. Patio and yard are not big, but are very nice and garden is well kept. It is a shame that it cannot be used by guests in the evening, after 8 p.m. when reception closes.
I scored it 3 out of five, but it is a very strong 3, going to 4. If the blankets and bed covers were not used, I would probably give it a 4.

Room Tip: We had a room number 4. It was on the first floor, had a king size bed and a sofa bed. It was specio...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ana16
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Very nice B&B, spotlessly clean, in nice upscale quiet neighborhood great to go for a jog or walk. Comfortable, convenient, satellite tele, complimentary wireless, snacks, air con, modern bath, everything you need. Beautiful property and nice areas to simple sit outside and relax with coffee or a drink. Great food as well. I have stayed in many B&Bs in Pretoria and 314 on Clark is the best. Derick and Anja are great and work hard to make your experience a good one. April 2013 was my second stay here and look forward to many more. it is a clean and nice as any place you will find.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rick B
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

The Guesthouse is well kept and rooms are clean. With the size of the yard i expected to see a small pool. Anyway, this place is located in Brooklyn, quiet with close access to Waterkloof shops where one can get restaurants some convenient shops. It would be ideal to rent a car if u intend to explore surrounding areas. I must say the guesthouse is ideal for those on business.

The breakfasts and monotonous lacking some variety if you stay there for more than 2 nights you will feel it. For those with kids...hmmmmmm this might not be the best place..consider other options.All in all this is one of the cleanest guesthouses i have been to in RSA

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Admiral N
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

I wrote this review only after reading all the scandalous reviews regarding this guesthouse. Its an absolute travesty that anyone can say anything negative about this guesthouse. I still consider it to be the best guesthouse I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at several!

From the moment we phoned to make a booking the receptionist was friendly and accomodating. We were talked through all the different rooms and helped to make a decision regarding the type of suite we would require. On arriving I immediately thought that this was one of those guesthouses that is rated as 4* but honestly, should be 5*. It is BEAUTIFUL. The staff are friendly and the guesthouse is beautifully decorated. The rooms have comfortable beds and a desk to sit at and work, and the bathroom is modern and a delight to use. I found the tiles in the bathroom a bit cold in the winter though!

We were given delicious homemade food, and found the receptionists and the owner in particular to be friendly and more than gracious to all our demands. I will definitely return. This guest house is a gem in Pretoria that few people know about. It definitely felt like a home away from home!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RuMark
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Do not send a 50% deposit as requested by the hotel. I transferred in February - sent two emails with proof of transfer but when we stayed in April they did not have it on record. I paid the full amount. As soon as I was back in Cape Town I emailed proof of deposit again but was told they had no record of it. For an entire month I emailed and called them begging them to help trace the money as it could not have just disappeared into cyberspace. They said they did not need to ask their bank as the money was not in the account. My bank and Visa credit card confirmed it was out of my account with the correct account details. Eventually I spoke to the owner directly who finally went to her bank to query the issue. Surprisingly they suddenly found the money. After a month! And I spent hours of my time trying to track it. They then took a full 5 days to send the refund. They did offer a free night should I head to Pretoria again but as that is unlikely I suggested they refund me for one of the nights we stayed at the hotel. That was request was completely ignored.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple