“Construction & Nasty Staff = Don't stay here”

City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood
Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Construction & Nasty Staff = Don't stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We arrived this City Lodge hotel after a very long flight from Florida to South Africa and a $60 cab ride from the airport. We checked in and they had the wrong rate. The rate was corrected after they spoke with the manager. The rooms have thin walls so you can hear your neighbors. They are also doing construction right next door so forget sleeping in past 8:00am local time. The thing that topped off this poor experience was when we checked out the rate was incorrect again. It was never corrected in the computer so the girl checking us out in the morning had to call the manager again. The girl was extremely rude, she told me to sit down and wait in another spot as she didn't want me at the counter. There were no other guests checking out, in fact it was empty and I was calm and quiet not saying a word. We waited 20 minutes for the manager to confirm our discounted rate. Then our "lovely" check our girl didn't know how to refund us the money as our credit card was already charged incorrectly. That was the last straw.

Room Tip: Away from construction. A non-joining room so it's quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim R
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and will certainly look into the points you raised re staff and rates - alas, the construction we can do nothing about.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Longirod, Suisse
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is a perfect place for me to stay when I travel to Pretoria. Great service, everyone there show very helpful when you need it. The breakfast buffet is fresh and delicious; in addition I really appreciate the option of picking up a quick breakfast when I have to leave in a hurry. Rooms are spacious, quiet, well equipped, you have to pay for Wifi but the connection is excellent. Nice restaurants and stores are located in front of the hotel. No need to take a car to go out in the evening. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you so much for your comments - we hope to welcome you again soon!
Foz do Iguacu, PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I looked around at different hotels for my stay in Pretoria, City Lodge won because of the closeness of the small shopping mall and location for heading out.

Pretty much you turn in the Shopping Centre and the hotel is on the left hand side, they have a man on a "temporary gate" stopping casual shoppers from using the hotel car park. I drove and was swiftly allowed entrance and I parked in the good sized underground car park.

I'm not sure what it is with South Africa and Hotel Reception but rarely do you get a "great service" and City Lodge continues with the relatively bland service at their reception. They will help you, but when they are ready and it seems to be a time of day thing to how helpful they are willing to be.

The hotel is clean and appeared well maintained in all areas, my room was a good sized and very clean including the bathroom. All facilities were working which included a good size safe, good aircon, reasonable TV, a good sized working desk with International Power sockets and a good desk light.

Whilst the room was fine, it is a "noisy" hotel and by that I mean you hear pretty much everything from adjacent rooms and those above you. It is a thinly constructed building, which radiates noise. This is further exasperated by the single glazed glass windows which keeps little if any outside noise out.

The room I had on the 2nd floor was always cleaned and made up by my return, I didn't see any plates hanging about outside rooms. I did hear the maid drop some once though but was all cleared by the time I hit the corridor.

Breakfast between 6-9am on weekdays gave a good choice of food, the happiest person I met in the hotel was the Chef at breakfast. There were always lots of waitresses, unfortunately you had to chase them for any service such as Coffee or Tea as they congregated together. Even with an occassional supervisor / manager at breakfast, service does not improve and I failed to see the benefit she bought. However I always finally got my tea or coffee, it would just have been nice for them to tour the tables to see if anyone wanted service!

The hotel does do light snacks between 12pm and 10pm, although I would highly recommend you walk out of the hotel into one of the many good restaurants in the adjacent Lynnwood Mall.

Outside of those times you are restricted to their limited vending machines, there is a sign which says "ask at reception for change". Each time I asked reception, they didn't have any change and there was no effort to get any for the next time. Perhaps remove the sign, or provide a change machine or move to 24x7 room service?

There is an outside pool, I didn't use it but it looked fine and there was outside seating.

Whilst it wasn't the best hotel I've stayed in, I've still given the Hotel a "Very Good" as it delivered on what I expected for the price and description. With some tweaks here and there it can become a lot better.

Room Tip: Well if you take a room on the front, you are opposite the mall and local night Life. Not too noisy...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you so much for your comprehensive review of our hotel - we hope to welcome you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the location to the restaurants across the street. The staff is clueless and blatantly does not care. The owner really needs to work on this as the reviews consistently show "service" and the reception as below acceptable. They did not have a room ready when I got here and said it would take 30 minutes to get one ready. Took more than two hours plus another 20 minutes just to do the check in. Requested a voucher for wifi internet access and it took them more than 3 hours to bring me the voucher after I called reception two more times and walked down personally to ask again. Also, housekeeping came into my room while I was at work and took my towels, but did not make up the room. I returned to my room and noticed my towels were gone (and not replaced) so I assumed housekeeping would be coming back shortly to finish making up the room. I did some work for a couple of hours while waiting for housekeeping until the jet lag kicked in and forced me to take a nap. An hour later they started to knock on my door. I asked for them to come back in an hour as I was sleeping. However, they came back twice more in the next 10 minutes. I finally told them that I did not want housekeeping as this was the only thing I could do to get them to stop knocking on my door. The following day I called reception to request the towels that were not replaced. They told me they would send them right up. After 35 minutes and two more calls to reception, the person at the reception desk started to get snappy with me and cut me off when I was talking. I went down to reception and spoke to the manager on duty directly. It took a total of 40 minutes to get towels, and the manager brought them personally, because they clearly do not know how to control or train their staff. Seriously pathetic. No mini fridge and no room service after 10pm. If you get hungry at night there is a vending machine with chips and soda. I don't eat chips or drink soda but bought some chips out of hunger... and twice they got stuck in the machine. If you do order food from room service, expect your dirty plates to sit outside your door the entire day. I walked by in the morning to find dishes outside a room by the elevator, then came back after work to see the same dishes there, then went out at night and came back to find them still there. This happened with two other rooms the very next day. The staff always appears to be bothered when you communicate with them. The staff makes it very apparent they they hate their jobs and dealing with people. They are rude to everyone. There is only one gentleman (really tall guy) who has been nice, respectful, engaging, and smiles. I have not seen a single other staff member smile or say good day.

Room Tip: Unless they lied... they told me that all the rooms are the same. I find this to be untrue as I see...
2 Thank DerekAdams1101
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
While we are glad you like our location, we're disappointed that the rest of your experience was unsatisfactory - we will definitely look into this on your behalf.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights of a 7 day trip. The hotel is very clean, the bedrooms were large and comfortable. The location is excellent, with plenty of great restaurants nearby and the butchers across the road does the best biltong I've ever eaten. Also, the gym isn't a gym, its a cupboard with a couple of pieces of equipment in it.
My only gripe was with reception, specifically when checking out. The first time I checked out took about 20 mins. I actually thought the receptionist was hacking the FBI, rather than trying to get my bill sorted. No time for breakfast as a result.
The second time I tried to check out, it was supposed to be charged to my company, however they couldn't (be bothered?) to find confirmation of this, so had to pay myself. Irritating.
Sort out reception, and this is a hotel I would wholly recommend for the business or leisure traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for your constructive comments about our hotel - we will certainly look into the reception issue which seems to have let us and you down on this occasion.
Cape Town
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I only write this review of what happened to me at breakfast because it has happened to me a few times at the Lynnwood City Lodge (note - NOT at other City Lodge hotels!)

At breakfast I had my muesli and fruit and coffee. When I was done with this, I ordered a refill of coffee. My plan was to leave the refilled coffee untouched while I went to fetch some scrambled eggs and toast. I hoped this would keep my table for me while I was away. (In previous instances I have left a newspaper; and once even my cell phone on the table - the newspaper got thrown away and the cell phone handed in a reception). You see the recurring problem? The staff is too eager/effective in clearing the tables - they forget that single travellers do not have anyone to "keep" the table for them. In any case - back to this visit - I returned 3 minutes later with my scrambled eggs to find my table occupied! Not the fault of the new occupants - serviettes in front of these new people folded and standing upright, my full coffee taken away, new cutlery etc....
I had nowhere to go!
As I said - this has happened before! No, the coffee was not half full so that someone could have thought it was left and the table occupant left permanently.
What must I do - bring my own poster next time that says "table occupied"?
BAD SERVICE City Lodge Lynnwood!

1 Thank Johann_CT
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us - sorry for the staff being too eager to clear the tables; we will certainly look into this on your behalf.
Cambridge, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel is centrally located just of the N 1 highway in Pretoria. Fantastic area and restaurants close by. Big comfortable rooms with wifi. No fridge in room, only 15 min. Free wifi time. Mattress was superb. Breakfast not included but affordable.

Room Tip: Park in the under cover parking available to guests.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Lynnwood, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thanks for your kind review - we hope to welcome you again soon to our hotel.