“Seafood splendor in Gauteng”
Review of LM in the East

LM in the East
Ranked #87 of 733 Restaurants in Pretoria
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had a visit to this restaurant recently and was amazed at the fine cuisine I was dished. The price was reasonable and the food was just superb. The fact that I got such fresh and scrumptious seafood inland far away from the coast from a non-chain restaurant really speaks well of the chef. The white wine sauce with mussels is an absolute must have. The accompaniment of wines at affordable prices makes this definitely one of my top favorite restaurants of all time.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

As previously the meals were excellent. We had lamb and prawn curry and calamary and prawn combo. Service was a bit slow, as the restaurant was full. It seems they did not have enough waiters. But this did not concern us much as we had plenty of time.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Their speciality is prawns, so they say, but the queen prawns I had were a bit disappointing. I guess it is difficult to get fresh prawns, and the frozen ones will never have that smack of sea-freshness. Also their chips are not great, as a few other reviewers have also found. Personally I think their house peri-peri sauce is frumpy and old-fashioned, in need of an update.
On the positive side, the service was pretty good, the venue is great in a cosy, suburban way, and I love the complementary chicken liver starter. Still a solid favourite, but could freshen up here and there.

1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Good food in a location where we did not expect to find such a family restaurant. However, some effort needs to be put to improving customer service, including fumigation of the restaurant area.

1  Thank SkhuM
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Having read about this place, we went to the restaurant to evaluated it for a family function. Perhaps we have been spoilt over the years by excellent eateries, or maybe the other reviewers were too generous?

Like our previous Portuguese experience, we were well received and drinks orders proceeded extremely fast. The waiter wax entertaining, engaging our son in an attempt to include the whole family in the experience.

The usual livers with warm rolls appeared, excellent as was to be expected. The main courses followed and were piping hot.

Highlights were the prawns, after all this place is famous for them. The ubiquitous creamed spinach and pumpkin were excellent as well, a surprise. My fillet was actually cooked as requested and could not be faulted.

The pizza was good, very cheesy, while the lasagna was good. The hake ok.

Avoid the chips. These are such a simple thing to prepare yet so easily destroyed by inept cooking.

As a restaurant, one can not fault the decor, the fish tank provides enough interest for young children.

However, the whole event reminded us that we cook much better at home. Something was just missing, a bit of "wow", of flair from the chef perhaps?

2  Thank Alexander W