“Verona and Akash Sewpersadh”
Review of Kievits Kroon

Kievits Kroon
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Midrand
“Verona and Akash Sewpersadh”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This was the perfect getaway for my husband and I. We were so impressed with the level of professionalism and friendly nature of all staff. The atmosphere is serene and beautiful. Really enjoyed the variety of food and overall this has been one of the best places we have visited. We cant wait to go back there. Absolute bliss!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you Verona and Akash for this fantastic feedback! I will be sure to pass it on to our staff. We look forward to seeing you back at Kievits Kroon.
Alan O'Leary, Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Everything was perfect, no complains. The food, atmosphere, service/people and location just perfect.

Food was great with a good variety and our romantic picnic was amazing in their lovely gardens. Great hotel to get away from the city.

• Stayed May 2013
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you for this fantastic feedback! It is very gratifying for us to know that we are getting it right. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you back again soon.
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Kievits Kroon about 3 weeks ago. We took the 'laid back sunday' package which included a 5 course meal at the Granita Restaurant and 3 treatments at the Spa, including the use of the spa facilities (Swedish shower, Jacuzzis, sauna and heated pool).

Our experience at the spa was to my surprise, rather disappointing.

Firstly the robe I received was tattered on the inside. After our first treatment, which was the full body exfoliation, we were sent to the Swedish shower, where some of the jets were not working and the ones which did work did not seem to have adequate pressure.

When we stepped out of the shower we were handed new towels to dry off and to my disgust, my towel had blood on it. I handed the towel back and was given a different one. It concerned me that the towels did not seem to be clean.

After our treatments we opted to go have the lunch and then come back afterwards to use the other spa facilities (the Jacuzzi,sauna and pool). The lunch was fantastic and we were 100% happy with it.

At this point I must mention that 2 days before our booking, I received an email from Kievits Kroon stating the following:
"I regret to inform you that our boiler in the spa burst so our thermae facilities on the ladies side as well as ladies showers are out of order for this week & weekend. But the facilities in the Unisex & swimming pool are fully functional and may be used. Unfortunately the ladies won’t be able to use the showers in the unisex area, they are strictly for men."

My hair was extremely oily after the head and shoulder massage and I therefore had to go to lunch in that state since the women's showers were not operational. In light of the fact that I would not be able to wash my hair, I think it would have been appropriate for the therapists to have asked whether they could use oil in my hair.

When we got back from lunch and decided to hop into the Jacuzzi (at the pool area), the jacuzzi which was unoccupied was not functioning. we then went to the jacuzzi in the unisex area. After climbing in we noticed that a number of jets in the jacuzzi were also not working, so we eventually opted to go to the sauna instead.

The assurance therefore by the spa that the 'the facilities in the Unisex & swimming pool are fully functional' was therefore totally untrue. I found this therefore in bad taste.

What I did enjoy at the spa was the cappuccino/coffee maker, however the milk/foam ran out half way through the day and was not topped up. Due to the number of spa guests it is to cater for, this cannot be acceptable.

The gardens and surrounds are of course lovely, however the quality at the spa unfortunately put a damper on my first experience of Kievits Kroon. I am not quite sure I will ever recommend Kievits Kroon as the choice for a spa outing.

Lastly I would like to suggest that a sign be better positioned at the main road where you are to turn onto the dirt road, as this confused us and we ended up driving about 2 km's further than we needed to.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NDRoc
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
I apologise profusely for your bad experience at our Spa. It is not the norm, and you have only to look at the rave reviews on our Spa TripAdvisor page and the comments from our guests to realise this.

However, your visit appears to have been spoiled by a number of unsatisfactory incidents and I would like to make it up to you .Please email me at md@kievitskroon.co.za.

I understand from the Spa managers that since your visit in April, all the problem areas you mention have been attended to and sorted out. I have no doubt that your next visit will meet all your expectations.

With regards to the signage, I am not sure how you missed the sign just before the turnoff onto the gravel road.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 14 May 2013

A nice little-big hotel/conference venue, almost hard to find. Tucked away from prying eyes on the dusty road, the buildings are arranged wonderfully. The sleeping quarters are in close proximity to each of the differently themed dining spaces. The breakfast spread was amazing! Lots of variety. The rooms were a bit everyday and dated, with nothing unique about them (especially not the old TV sets and air conditioning system). My experience in the summer was superb there, but in the winter the hotel cannot escape the fact that it's in the dry brown Highveld. More activities need to be added to supplement the stiff, dry, beige, cold winter atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Aria E
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were wowed by our buffet breakfast. We have different room types and perhaps you would have preferred one of our Executive Rooms which are newer and more modern. As for winter at Kievits Kroon, I invite you to visit us in June, July and August to see what the estate looks like! We use recycled water to irrigate our lawns and garden beds throughout the year so that they stay lush and green. There is no “stiff, dry, beige, cold winter atmosphere.” Our winter packages are about pampering and indulgence – couples escape to Kievits Kroon to enjoy peace and tranquility away from the city, with spa treatments, red wine or hot chocolate in front of the fire in the library, cosy dinners in Granita. Come and see for yourself!
Pretoria
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Roger J - The venue is fantastic, like the Winelands but in Pretoria. If you check in early they realy accomodate you with free access to a library, bar, and beautiful garden settings of the Manor House. ( and wi-Fi )
The facilities are amazing and in top condition. The Spa ,was available for free to use Jacuzzi's, warm pool steam rooms and showers and was great to relax at before Supper. The selection at the Buffett was great with a selection of salads that were difficult to choose from. If personal attention is your thing then this is the place to stay. Happy friendly staff acting like they own the place. I did not want to accept the offers of a free sundowner and it shows you how staff are empowered to make the guests feel comfortable. Well Done. When I go again I will arrive early to enjoy more time there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
It's wonderful to hear from our guests that our staff are happy and friendly, and I agree that this reflects in the service at Kievits Kroon. Thank you for sharing these positive thoughts about your stay with us. We hope to see you back again. Check in is at 14h00 but you are welcome to order a picnic lunch, have a drink or snack in the Library Bar or just relax at the pool if you arrive before then.
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I had booked a surprise night away for our anniversary and it was such an amazing experience, from the bookings where Lerato was very helpful in assisting with my every need, making sure i am aware of all the specials available. Upon arrival the entrance to a very well kept, clean and luxurious Kievits Kroon was just the beginning. The staff were very friendly, professional, hands on, helpful, had great team work and very accommodating. We also enjoyed the picnic under the great old trees with so many different choices of food, we had to take a stroll to try fit it all in. The spa facilities are as luxurious as it gets with all the extra bells and whistles. Thank you all for making our anniversary yet another amazing memory we get to share together. We will definitely see you soon.

Room Tip: The Zulu huts are very romantic and such an amazing experience with its warm interiors and quaint de...