“So relaxing that 1 day can feel like a weekend”
Review of Kievits Kroon

Kievits Kroon
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed 21 August 2013

OK, here is the bottom line. Beautiful grounds. Comfortable room. An outstanding dinner. Good restaurant and lounge service. My wife and I stayed here for two nights during a recent visit to S Africa. Siting on the lounge veranda having light refreshments and gazing out at the beautiful grounds was wonderfully relaxing. A few hours felt like a couple of days. This is a great get away place.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rvstraz
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I feel that your description of Kievits Kroon is everything we strive to be and it's gratifying to know that we are getting it right. Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We hope to see you back again.

There are newer reviews for Kievits Kroon

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was recently given a voucher to have a Spa experience and overnight stay for two at Kievits Kroon which I used with my daughter on the weekend of the 17th August. The welcome we received from the staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable. Our treatment at the Spa was amazing and the therapists were well trained. We enjoyed both our meals at the Kingsley Resturant with lots of dishes to choose from.
I would recommend this relaxing place, the friendly staff and the great facilities to my friends
Once again thank you
Mavis & Carol

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mavis N
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at Kievits Kroon and appreciate the fact that you took the time to write this review. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

To be fair, i had high expectations of kievits kroon, as many of my collagues visited and highly recommended it. But what a dissapointment my stay turned out to be.

The arrival was nice, with a very welcoming receptionist who made us feel very welcome. Also the grounds themselves are really nice, tranquil and well kept. Unfortunately, things went downward from there.

We were promised a welcome drink, but it never came. After half an hour and encoutering three waiters who all said "they would check our order", we left. After asking the receptionist if we could have our order delivered to the room we went to our room but our drinks never came.

The room itself was a major dissapointment. The room was fairly far away from the reception and spa and felt outdated. I didnt get we were given such a poor room as the place seemed far from full, so why not give your customer something nice? Worst of all, the room was dirty. The sink had stains, the bathtub had stains, the linnen were torn and had stains. Next to that the outside table and chairs were so dirty you could write name in them. The tv was one of the model last seen in 2002, and had only 8 channels. Not great if you want to catch a movie before going to sleep.

The spa was ok. But again, the service was a let down. I came in asking to use the spa facilities and the hostess asked me to wait for a moment. After being completely ignored for 15 minutes i decided to check in again as the gentleman who came in after me with the same purpose was directly served. The lady mentioned she could show me around but she did not have a bathrobe, which is strange as there were virtually no people in the spa. The spa itself was ok, but nothing more then you would find at a modern generation virgin active. What bothered me most is that two out of three bubble baths were not operational, and that the swiss shower only had half the shower heads working with insufficient pressure.

Then the dining. Expecting a fine dining experience it was again a bitter dissapointment. The kingsley restaurant feels like an upmarket canteen with ok food. The first bread rolls i took were so old i decided to ask the waiter for new ones. Later on they told me those rolls had come straight from the freezer so they didnt expect them to be tasty (???). The food itself was ok, but nothing to write home about.

The breakfast on the other had was nice, offering a better variety. I also must admit that after complaining two managers came to speak to me, which i highly appreciated. However, more then "fill in the questionnaire, and we hope you come back" didnt come out of these conversations.

Would i go back or recommend kievitskroon to colleagues or for a function? Most surely not!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank SBO81
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

There is no excuse for the poor service you encountered and I apologise profusely that your experience was not up to our usual standards.
I picked up from the comments you made on the guest card that you were unhappy, and my personal assistant tried to call you a couple of times yesterday to discuss your concerns. Unfortunately you were too busy to take her calls.
I have asked the managers on duty to investigate all your concerns thoroughly so that we can address each one them.
A review of this nature is not the norm for us, as you can see from the high ratings we generally receive on this forum.
You say yourself that your colleagues highly recommended Kievits Kroon to you. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you why they did.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We recently were priviledged to spend a weekend at Kivits Kroon and found the staff to be very helpful and friendly.We were delighted to receive a a fruit basket with chocolates,champagne,biltong and dried fruit delivered to our room. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals,both breakfasts and dinner.Our experience at the Spa was very enjoyable.we had the cinnamon hot stone massage and found the therapists to be both warm and professional.This was a wonderful relaxing break away,It makes such a difference to go to a place where the staff are so well trained and pleasant.We can certainly recommend this venue.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

It's wonderful to hear from our guests that our staff are friendly and well-trained, and that this reflects in the service at Kievits Kroon. Thank you for sharing this positive feedback with us. We look forward to welcoming you back at Kievits Kroon in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend at this relaxing property. It's about an hour outside of Jhb & you get to put your feet up and enjoy the warm and friendly service. A big thumbs up to the staff, management and everyone who makes guests feel valued...keep up the good work. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Vido934
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for the great recommendation. It's very rewarding for our staff to know that their efforts do not go unnoticed and that their hard work is paying off. I will ensure that my team sees your review.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

What really stood out for us was the friendliness (and courteousness ) we received from every member of the staff. We only stayed for one evening and enjoyed the spa facilities . The food was excellent (both dinner and breakfast). We had a problem with the hot water in our room but this was sorted out immediately and professionally even though it was late in the evening. Well done to Kievietskroon for such well trained staff. Many so-called "luxury " international hotels, which we have visited over the past 40 years all over the globe can certainly come and learn from these staff members. The special winter package that we had was in our estimation good value for money. This was our 39th wedding anniversary and we really enjoyed the breakaway even though we live in Pretoria. We can certainly recommend this venue

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

What a great review, thank you! It is wonderful to have our staff acknowledged in this way, and they will certainly appreciate the fact that you took the time to recommend them and the estate on this forum. Considering how well travelled you are, this is a great compliment. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have stayed at Kievets Kroon twice now. The first time was in October 2010 and just recently in July 2013. Both times, Kievets Kroon exceeded my expectations. Everything is fantastic from the gardens to the rooms, restaurants, food and spa. I highly recommend this destination which is excellent value for money.

2  Thank Natalie H
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Thank you for this great feedback. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team. We hope you don't let too much time lapse before your next visit!