“Seminar hotel”

Ranked #11 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Paris
“Seminar hotel”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Becarful the hotel is not really in pretoria but 18 kms away from the city and not easy to find without GPS.
The hotel was built as a replica of the cape houses, the estate is quite big rooms are clean and confortable.
It is not a business hotel but more for a seminar or romantic geteway.
Service is fine, food is just average south african style.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Kievits Kroon is indeed a country estate outside of Pretoria (and we advertise it as such), which makes it ideal for romantic getaways and out-of-city conferencing. We send all our guests a map with directions when they make a booking, just in case they don’t have GPS. The directions are also on our website.
I am glad you found the rooms and service to your liking and hope you will be back to enjoy a leisure break with us!
Alan O’Leary, Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I loved the service here. The food was great too. The estate is beautiful. The rooms are large and well-equipped except that the toilet is separate from the bathroom. There is a full spa on the premises. I would go back again anytime.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara_E_11
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for this short but sweet review. I think you summed us up brilliantly - a beautiful estate with great service and food! We hope you will indeed be back.
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This really is a beautiful estate with lovely gardens, nice rooms and great conference facilities. A nice spa, several bars and restaurants and an awesome pool complete the picture.

On the negative side, it took me several conversations and a trip to reception to convince them to let me order drinks on my room account. And the staff kept telling me to remember to pay for my drinks when I check out. Very strange behaviour for such an upper class venue, it almost made me feel like they didn't trust me??

The restaurant was nice, but the selection of dishes seemed to be repeated - for example, the dessert buffet was almost exactly the same on both evenings.

Top tip: when you book your room, specify whether you want to be close to the pool / restaurant / spa or not. It's a big estate with a lot of rooms so keep that in mind if you don't like walking far.

• Stayed September 2013
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for the positive review. Your comment about the dessert buffet dishes has been noted and passed on to the chef so that he can review the menu. With regard to the issue with payments for drinks, our policy is to extend credit to any guest who has a credit card and we usually take an imprint of the card on check in. This is done to protect us from guests who leave without paying.

It is not the norm with conference delegates, because of the size of the groups, which is why staff request cash payments for drinks ordered. However, it should not have been a problem to get an imprint of your credit card and I apologise that you were inconvenienced in this manner. I will take it up with my staff to ensure that everyone is made aware of the process and this does not happen again.

Alan O’Leary, Managing Director.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The service, the facilities, the food, everything is simply amazing! Highly recommended and will most certainly be going back. We went as a couple to celebrate my wives birthday, and as they were notified of this before we arrived, they made our stay simply unforgettable!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zoltan N
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you very much for this great feedback and for choosing to celebrate your wife's birthday at Kievits Kroon. I am delighted we were able to help make it so special, and hope that you'll be back to celebrate more memorable occasions... or just for a romantic getaway.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I would never go back here despite the lovely setting and friendly staff. It really does look lovely, I won’t argue that.

However:

My room has a separate toilet which smelt like it had not been cleaned with any detergent in quite some time. A toilet should smell fresh or have no smell at all.

The bath was dirty and so were the water glasses.

There was a lot of mould in the shower (see photos) which confirms my thoughts that the accommodation is not properly cleaned.

There was no window in the room so it was not possible to get any fresh air. The AC was incredibly noisy.

The buffet breakfast was bad. There was a good selection but the cooked items were all cold (despite arriving shortly after service began). The chillier was not chilling the cold food so I stayed away from things like the smoked salmon and oysters.

None of the tables outside were set for breakfast despite it being a lovely morning. I had to get my own cutlery and condiments as the staff were more interested in chatting amongst themselves.

This place needs hands on management. The management should inspect each room and check that it is up to standard. That way you would see the mould in the shower. You can then decide if that is acceptable to you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank J W
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I am extremely disappointed that your experience at Kievits Kroon was below standard. I can assure you that your complaints have already been attended to, so that we can be certain to match the high standards we set ourselves.

We do not, unfortunately, have a record of any complaint from you during your stay. It is always easier for us to address concerns while our guests are on the property. However, please do not give up on us as I believe we can meet your expectations and prove to you why we are usually rated so highly by our guests.

If you would contact me directly on md@kievitskroon.co.za I would like to try and make up for your poor experience.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Loved the place...food and wine pairing was outstanding. Service delightful...staff friendly. The only complaint was that the service charge on beverages was not made clear up front and therefore added gratuity was given unknowingly.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank tammylotz
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for this wonderful feedback which I will relay to my team. I apologise that our gratuity/service charge policy was not explained to you. We add a discretionary 7.5% service charge to food and beverage items in order to motivate our team to strive for service excellence. If the guest experiences poor service, he or she can ask for this service charge to be removed.

Alan O’Leary, Managing Director
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

OK, here is the bottom line. Beautiful grounds. Comfortable room. An outstanding dinner. Good restaurant and lounge service. My wife and I stayed here for two nights during a recent visit to S Africa. Siting on the lounge veranda having light refreshments and gazing out at the beautiful grounds was wonderfully relaxing. A few hours felt like a couple of days. This is a great get away place.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rvstraz
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I feel that your description of Kievits Kroon is everything we strive to be and it's gratifying to know that we are getting it right. Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We hope to see you back again.