“Tranquility in our own back yard. 5 star service!”
Review of Kievits Kroon

Kievits Kroon
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Tranquility in our own back yard. 5 star service!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I have been searching for a stunning venue to get away from home without trekking for hours. Kievits Kroon is just that place. We spent an afternoon at the spa where we were treated like royalty and an evening enjoying the fine food that they offer. The cape Dutch setting is stunning and the VIP suites are a must treat for a special night away from home. Privacy is guaranteed and service is attentive. The resort paid special attention to my booking request and all my small requests where attended to and they even added their own special treats.

We will make this a regular night out venue! Only 50 minutes from JHB.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for this wonderful feedback and for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you back at Kievits Kroon.
ALAN O'LEARY, MANAGING DIRECTOR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Roodepoort, South Africa
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was our 5the stay at Kievits Kroon and we will keep going back. What an amazing getaway. It is wonderfully relaxing, service is excellent and the Peaking Duck starter we ordered is the best food money can buy. Thank you to all the staff at Kievits Kroon for your great service and hospitality. We will see you soon!!!!!

Room Tip: The corner units are great.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucinda H
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for your great feedback and for your loyal support. Our team will be delighted to read your comments and see that their hard work and dedication is being recognised. We hope to see you again soon.
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 24 March 2014

In my culture there's a saying that says a good thing needs to be repeated. So for me Kievits Kroon like all good things needed to be repeated. Let me start by saying this is the second time I have booked for a picnic at Kievits Kroon. The first picnic was on the 16 February 2014 for me and my partner and boOooy were we given 5 star service which exceeded our expectations. Our waiter Thabang who also served as on my second picnic was very friendly and professional through out.

After having such an awesome experience at the hotel, I made a suggestion to a couple of my friends that we should have my friends bridal shower there, and they all agreed. I did the booking with Nicole Lamprecht who was so patient and helpful with all the chopping and changing we made. Come Saturday 22 March for my friends picnic bridal shower...oh my word...words cant describe how all our friends were so blown away including the guest of honor the bride. The set up with beautiful, the food was divine and very substantial. The service from all staff members who were on duty was very heart warming.

Kievits Kroon is more than deserving of being called the number 1 picnic spot in Pretoria. They truly go above and beyond to guarantee guest satisfaction. Kievits gets a 10/10 for me:)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
What a great idea to have a picnic for a bridal shower. I'm delighted it worked out so well and that you all had a great time. Thank you for this wonderful, positive feedback. I will make sure that the Kievits Kroon team sees your review and pass on your compliments to Nicole and Thabang. We hope to see you back at Kievits Kroon soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our stay this last weekend was well below par:

1. We requested 2 beds in the room - we were given a room with one bed only
2. There was no birthday basket in the room for my friend when we arrived (as arranged). I had to phone and request one
3. The ladies at the spa barely gave us time to change after our treatment and started to very aggressively to sell us products!
4. The picnic we had on our last day was appalling! At R185 per person (excluding drinks - not even water!) we were given left overs from the buffet dinner the night before. There was no dessert included (as per the menu) and when we queried this we were given....even more dried leftover cake from the buffet. For me this is a matter of principle. I have already paid for the buffet dinner and then you charge me again (an exorbitant price) to eat the left overs!

I will not recommend this establishment to anyone. Spend your hard earned money else where!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to detail your disappointing experience at Kievits Kroon this weekend. It is important for us to know when we have let guests down so that we can address the problems.

Please accept my unconditional apology for your sub-standard experience. This is not how we would want you to remember your stay.

It appears that two of your concerns were the result of poor communication. Our reservations department did not convey your preference for two twin beds to our housekeeping department. With regard to the birthday basket you requested, it should have been explained to you that these baskets are not left in the rooms, but delivered personally to the guests once they have checked into their rooms.

I have spoken to the spa manager, and she will address your concern about products been promoted too aggressively.

With regard to the picnic, there is absolutely no excuse that you were not served the proper gourmet picnic menu. We pride ourselves on our delicious food and I would like to offer you a complimentary picnic for two, to make it up to you. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

I hope that you will accept my apology and that you will give us another chance to prove why we are one of the top hotels in the country.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Well all I can say is that professionalism is highly placed at this hotel. The service is spectacular and the quality perfect. The Granita Restaurant is 5 star and well deserved but the hospitality is what I liked. The wine variety is top class and I recommend it to any body who loves luxury. The spa also spectacular.

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect but you can ask for the newly build rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for the fantastic feedback. It's very important to us to maintain our high standards and to ensure that we meet our guests' expectations. I will pass on your complimentary comments to our team. We hope to see you back at Kievits Kroon soon.
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I visited Kievitskroon on conference on 1 Feb 2014.
We were in the conference centre all day - audio and conference room were in good order. Bathrooms were clean and tidy.

I was housed overnight in the Executive rooms. There is no lift, so expect to carry your own bag up stairs. Downstairs have a little garden off their rooms, those with upstairs room have a balcony. This is a very nice touch.

Room 202 was spacious and clean.
Bed was soft and comfortable with crisp white linen. Easy lights on either side of the bed.
Clear view of the tv.
Lounger to rest on, as let's face it, you don't want to have to sit on the bed all the time.
There was a good sized desk with decent lighting and a firm chair. Easy access to power supply, can use a multi plug adapter to charge numerous electronic devices with ease.

Power supply at the bed was good, so I could charge my personal and work phone at the same time.

The WC is apart from the bathroom, which gave me a nasty surprise when I initially charged in. I eventually discovered the WC in what looked like a door to a closet. Again - this is a very nice feature to have.

Nice use of space in bathroom - shower apart from the tub. Big basin. Expect conditioning shampoo, soap, shoe mitt and shower cap.

Your fridge can be stocked in need. You usually end up with a bottle of water, milk, tea & coffee. Also included is a decent quality coffee that can be used in the plunger.

Light does seem to leak in at night (curtains/ under door) but did not bother me much.

Did not hear any noise from outside.

The food on conference wasn't awesome & felt as if it had been recycled from lunches / dinners past.
My poached egg at breakfast was offered to me badly under-cooked.

I asked for water when leaving and was flatly declined by the breakfast staff.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are quiet, clean & with a separate WC.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
KievitsKroon, Owner at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for the very comprehensive and positive review. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. Just to allay your concerns – I can assure you our food is never recycled from one meal to the next! Also, we don’t supply bottled water to take away at breakfast but, as you will have seen, there is plenty of complimentary filtered water supplied to our delegates in all the conference rooms. The staff should have explained this to you. We hope to see you back at Kievits Kroon for a leisure experience.

ALAN O’LEARY, MANAGING DIRECTOR
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Just come home from a fantastic stay. Everything was great, from my initial enquiry until we checked out. The spa facilities were very clean and the treatments top class. But what both my husband and I commented on was how friendly, attentive and professional every staff member we came onto contact with was. Highly recommended!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget H
KievitsKroon, Manager at Kievits Kroon, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
It's very rewarding to get such a positive review, thank you. I will be certain to pass on your comments to all the staff, who really do go the extra mile for our guests.