“We had an ultimate relaxation”

Mountain Manor Guest House
Ranked #233 of 357 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“We had an ultimate relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was indeed an ultimate relaxation out of a busy Gauteng!

We stayed one night with my husband and enjoyed the couples spa experience the next day. Our bedroom, the Mbeki suite was exceptional, very spacious, clean and had a nice African deco theme. The staff gave us the best service, from the security guy, the waiters at the restaurant, Elrika gave us a warm welcome and Vinoliah and Mary our spa therapists were incredible.
I will surely book again in the near future.

Room Tip: Mbeki Suite is the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel M
Ikhutsa, Owner at Mountain Manor Guest House, responded to this review, 13 July 2015
Thank you very much for the feedback provided, we appreciate your feedback and use our client feedback to improve our standards and performances as client Satisfaction is a very serious matter for us.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Durban, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I travel a bit and stay in many B & B's and hotels. This ranks with the worst that I have experienced. my wife and I stayed here to attend a wedding in the area.
The room that we were put in was in no way luxurious as advertised.
We had to force the sliding door open and closed as it was very difficult to move.
The door could not lock .
The lighting in the room is very bad.
The shower leaked more from the pipe than it flowed from the shower head.
Toilet seat did not fit so you had to sit half on the seat and half on the toilet.
Staff very noisy in the morning outside out room. Had to ask them to quieten down.

Maybe the other rooms are different, but based on the state of our room, I doubt it. Would not recommend this to any other traveller. Far more to choose from in the area at a similar price.

Room Tip: choose another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Warren V
Dear Valued Client

Thank you for the feedback on Tripadvisor, we have taken all the concerns mentioned buy our clients in to consideration and recently acquired our own property which addressed all the previous complaints.

Travellers are raving about these Pretoria hotels

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Me and my mom went for her birthday to the guest house our reception was great the manager made us feel very welcome ,do try the downtown restaurant on the premises ,and the spa is unbelievable thanks to all the staff for making my moms 80 Th. birthday such a pleasure .if you do not like to travel around in town this is the place to be have your breakfast lunch and dinner on the premises and treat your self to a treatment at the spa hubby can go play golf .very good idea for safety reasons not to travel in to town at night and the security is very good you will feel safe and away of the buzz of city life ....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My Husband and I were in serious need of some R&R. The Guest house has everything you need, including a jacuzzi and mini sauna. The Downtown restaurant also served us a wonderful meal. The staff are accomodating and we ended up staying an extra night just because. We will most definitely go back. It as wonderful gem in Pretoria.

Room Tip: The Madiba room is spacious and the bed is so comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I took my mom to Ikhutsa for an early Mothers Day gift. Our therapists were Vinolea and Salome and both were excellent. The spa offered a delicious lunch and lovely facilities. We had a relaxation booster package and really enjoyed it thoroughly. I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kate R
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

I have stayed at Mountain Manor Guest House 4 times. I have enjoyed the guest house, it is a nice comfortable guesthouse, and a good value for the price.

I have also been to Ikhusta Spa (the spa on the premises of the guest house) on 4 occasions, and the first 3 visits were mostly lovely and enjoyable. I have returned and have recommended the spa to others as well.The last time I had an appointment at the spa, I asked if Vinolea (the best therapist I've had at the spa) was working that day and asked if I could request her to be my therapist. I was told that my request would be accommodated. She was not my therapist for the treatments. I understand that schedules change, but I would have appreciated being notified that Vinolea was not going to be working that day. I would have rescheduled for a time that she was there.

When we arrived for our scheduled appointment, we were taken to the treatment room located in the guest house (as opposed to the more private and tranquil treatment rooms by the pool) . The therapists were not ready for us (we were on time) and they went about preparing the room while we sat there waiting. Throughout the treatments (a hot stone massage and pedicure) both Lebo and Dolly had to leave several times because they had forgotten to bring the necessary items into the room to do the treatments. The room is not in a private or quite location. There was a constant stream of traffic walking by the doors as well as men working loudly just outside. I had to ask two times if the therapists would put on music to try to drown out some of the outside noise. At one point during the massage, a male worker walked in on my daughter and I, which is absolutely unacceptable. He had to be convinced to come back later to get whatever it was he had come into the room to get.

Because the therapists were not ready for us, the stones were not hot at the beginning of the massage. They didn't actually even start heating them until we were already lying on the massage tables, once again waiting for something that should have been prepared before we arrived. Lebo seemed to be very distracted. She would massage me for about 3 or 4 minutes and then continually leave me to move around the room adjusting this, or messing with that, or very loudly banging the stones together, or leaving the room for unknown reasons, and so on. She even stopped the massage about 15 minutes into it to light the candles in the room. I think the hot stone warmer must have been broken because they were constantly filling and boiling water in a water kettle to pour over the stones. Lebo dropped stones on me two times. I understand that the stones must be very slippery, but I've had hot stone massages before at other locations and have never had someone actually drop the stones on me. It was all completely unprofessional and not relaxing at all. I've actually had Lebo previously and was not impressed, this is why I specifically requested Vinolea.

If this had been my first experience with Ikhutsa Spa, I would have never returned and I would have specifically told friends to not book with Ikhutsa.

This all was bad enough, but I sent these concerns to the spa when they asked for my review of the spa. I never heard back from them. I never heard back from them and curiously, I was removed from their mailing list that I had been on for over a year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
21 Thank JRaySmith
Ikhutsa, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Manor Guest House, responded to this review, 13 July 2015
Dear Valued Client
Thank you for the feedback on Tripadvisor, we have your concerns have been taken note of and resolved. We appreciate your feedback and use our client feedback to improve our standards and performances. You are most welcome to visit us at our new acquired premises.