“Excellent hotel out of price range for SA”

131 on Herbert Baker Boutique Hotel
Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Paris
“Excellent hotel out of price range for SA”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Very nice truelly a boutique hotel, very confartable room, dedicated service very good location.
Breackfast is good, and they have a very acceptable restaurant.
On the minus side it is quite expensive compared to Pretoria hotels.
Will be back for sure

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank worltravelerF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We required a two night stay in Pretoria and came across this Hotel via Google. We are seasoned travellers in all kinds of categories. My mom and dad stayed over on the first night and my boyfriend and i on the second night. When i heard what the rate of the room was (after the bill had been paid upfront) i thought WOW we are going to be treated like royalty in our own palace. Boy was i wrong! There is not ONE thing that makes paying that obscure room rate worthwhile. It soon became clear we are merely helping the poor owner pay his rent and or levies. Upon arrival the second night we waited 10min infront of the gate, as they werent aware of us being guests. we then proceeded to park in a very cramped garage. Dinner was served in a very unwelcome atmosphere as the waiter was preoccupied with the one other table of outside guests. I cleared the table myself to be more comfortable as it was layed for 3 guests instead of 2. Back in the room the bath water was tepid. The majestic sized bed had two small duvets on it as they clearly did not go through the trouble to get a size that fits. The fountain outside our room made all but tranquil noises, nevermind the bright light from the hallway that was shining through our bedroom door. The continental breakfast the next morning consisted of store bought bread, jam, and about 3 spoonsful of yogurt/fruit mix, the opposite of freshly squeezed juice and luke warm stale coffee. I managed to wash my hair in the shower only to find out that the hair-dryer was not working. (its 6am and its winter!!!) I just wanted to get out of there. Upon departure, my bill was incorrect. there were meal items added to our bill that we did not have. I carried my heavy bags to the car by myself down a very steep and uncomfortable drive way. Makes me wonder if they selectively choose which guests they are going to treat in what way, how else could they have obtained 5 stars? Did i mention that the size of the tv in the room was only 32"? . Now look i am by NO means a snob but when you pay BiG bucks for a room per night you at least expect some amenities, otherwise Mr owner or shareholder you wll just be seen as a greedy pig who gives boutique hotels a bad name.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank withluvangelina
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at 131 on Herbert Baker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
As we pride ourselves in being ladies and gentlemen, who serve ladies and gentlemen, we thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor and where constructive criticism is found to be applicable, you can rest assured it will be addressed accordingly.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here for our first night in South Africa on our honeymoon. It was a complementary stay as part of our trip on the Blue Train the following day. The stay started off shakily with the hotel having no knowledge of our booking. We had just landed after an overnight flight and were looking forward to showering and having a short rest, unfortunately we were made stay in reception for nearly two hours while the problem was resolved. The owner of the property was called in to fix the issue on a Sunday which we were pleased with, however a lot of fuss and talk regarding the high quality of clientele she normally houses ensued. She was adamant to let us know that she was really helping us out and doing us a favour because she normally only allocates a few rooms for Blue Train customers (this turns out to be untrue as the entire property was being used by people going on the train). Luckily they had a free room, which I'm sure they were paid handsomely for by the Blue Train, so I'm unsure as to why we were made feel like it was our problem when the two parties were able to solve the situation. The owner stated that she would now care for us like a honeymoon couple should be, in other words getting us some champagne and setting up a romantic dinner on our balcony looking over views of the area. Disappointingly, we were then charged for this bottle of champagne that we had not even asked for. On a more positive note, the property is stunning, the views are amazing, the food is exquisite and the entire staff are fantastic. If it weren't for the way in which the check-in process was handled and the way we were made to feel by the owner, I would have scored this review with 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013
Michael V, Owner at 131 on Herbert Baker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank You for your positive comments. As owners of the property we enjoy welcoming our esteemed customer base, as you where one of them, I am sure you appreciate the fact.

I am extremely happy in the knowledge that the Blue Train offered you a complimentary stay at our Hotel, however the fact that your booking was never confirmed with the Hotel by The Blue Train is of great concern to me, and I will take it up with them, especially since their error has negatively affected my rating on TripAdvisor.

Whilst you appreciated the fact that we came in on a Sunday to rectify this, we consider that to be normal. I apologies for having not availed your room to you after two hours, however check in time is also stated as 14h00 unless a room is indeed available, or by prior arrangement, which at that time neither was an option. We were happy to accommodate you in the lounge where you enjoyed a light lunch until your room had been prepared for check in.

As owners of the Hotel we value our integrity, with this in mind I would like to confirm with you that The Blue Train had indeed exceeded their allocation with us, and regardless of who travels with them, the source may vary, it is this very fact, by means of being owner run that we were able to make a decision to accommodate you, albeit without payment having been effected for your lost booking.

We will never compromise the success of a journey to South Africa, by a guest who we have the privilege of hosting at our hotel, it was with this spirit in mind that I personally drove yourselves in the Hotel Mercedes to the SPA, in order to interact and be certain that you were content. Please do accept my apologies should you not have felt that way.

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing South Africa as you honey moon destination, may the rest of your journey be SPECTACULAR, we look forward to hosting you in the future.
Michael
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This wonderful hotel is situated within a Villa area. The view on Pretoria especially at night is amazing. The atmosphere was very personal and friendly. We stayed for two night. Each time we returned from an excursion, it was like coming home! Everyone was very caring and the service was great. Food and wine was delicious. The hosts, Sheri and Michael, gave us a time to remember...the Blue Bulls were a great experience...thank you so much!

Daniel & Patrizia, Switzerland

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel A
Michael V, Owner at 131 on Herbert Baker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Daniel & Patrizia,
It was a great pleasure for Sheri and myself to host you at 131. It was wonderful to have you join us in the Hotel Suite at Loftus Versfeld enjoying the Blue Bulls rugby game.
I sincerely hope that we were able to assist in ensuring your trip to South Africa was an exceptional journey especially to our wonderful city of Pretoria, in the hope that you may return one day creating more wonderful memories.
Sheri and myself as well as the rest of the team at 131 really appreciate the time and effort you have spent on the rating you did on TripAdvisor for our Hotel
Michael
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in world wide! Perfect boutique hotel. nice relaxing pool and cocktail location. Perfect after coming off of safari. Quiet, beautiful view of the city, lovely room and bath. But it is the staff and owner, Mike, that see to your every whim! Food was wonderful, great homemade pasta and the breakfast was near perfection. Rus had the fish for dinner and it too was excellent. We will be back!!!!!!!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon K
Dear Sharon and Rus
My apologies for a belated reply,
Sheri and myself would like to thank you for your wonderful review posted on TripAdvisor about 131. It was wonderful to be able to host you at our Hotel and we are happy to know your stay was great. We look forward to have the privilege of hosting you on your next stay to our beautiful country South Africa and especially in our most wonderful town of Pretoria.
Michael Sheri and the team at 131
PA
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

I was blown away by the friendliness of the greeting which went onto to include the entire team including Sheri and Mike (the owners) I was also impressed by the large choice on their Italian dinner menu. Their Bolognese sauce is delightful with the home made pasta. Their wine cellar filled with great wines. I am heading back there. Only 8 rooms! Well done.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AussieIan
Reviewed 5 May 2013

It was the perfect place to end my safari trip in South Africa, before returning home to Italy. The service is great and the people are super. I wish that I was booked for 2 days and not only 1. It would have been the perfect stop even before my safari , so that I could have acclimatised first then on to the bush.From arrival to departure this is the most personalised place `i have ever stayed at and all boutique hotels around the world can learn from them.

Room Tip: Room 7 has the views over the nature reserve.