“What a fantastic birthday dinner”

De Kloof Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 733 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Upscale and creative European-style cuisine, with local influences, in a modern space with terrace. South African Restaurant of the Year 2013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I took my boyfriend there for his 27th birthday. When I phoned to make a booking, the receptionist asked if it was a special occasion and I said yes. She then asked if I would like them to arrange for a message on our menus. I emailed the message to them and when we arrived, we were presented with personalized menus upon which my message appeared. The prices are a bit high, but no more so than any other "upper class" restaurant in South Africa. Compared to other upper class restaurants in South Africa, the food is much more exclusive and "designer". The portions are not too small and not too big. The atmosphere is amazing, as is the view. The wines are reasonably priced and the service is amazing!!

1  Thank CarmenPoole

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to this awesome eating venue to dine and wine before I went for my trip to USA. The tranquil surroundings with a view to kill for is the perfect setting for a meal to remember long after you have left! The BEST food, the BEST service and the BEST wine in town with the BEST host (Charl) and the BEST chef!! Thanks folks for a UNFORGETTABLE experience!!!

1  Thank Theo_Odendaal
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We went to De Kloof for lunch one Sunday and were first very impressed by the excellent food, attentative service and nice atmosphere.
After we had paid the bill, the waitress came running after us accusing us of having paid short. We confirmed to have paid the required amount plus a generous tip in cash and she left again. A few minutes later she returned and apologised - the waiter who served us, had already taken R200.
This was a terrible experience and we will definitely not be back - although we had already planned to take my parents when they will be visiting in December.

2  Thank Kerstin Z
Reviewed 14 September 2013

War torn and weary from eating at the majority of Pretoria "fine dining" establishments, it was with great delight that we stumbled upon DK.

Having booked for my husband's birthday I was delighted by the option to personalize the menus - wich added a very sweet touch! We had a fixed menu - each dish was beautifully presented and tasty in the extreme and the portions were perfectly sized for tasting.

The service was extremely enthusiastic generally - all in all a very positive experience, we have already headed back to DK burgers and were delighted by this as well!!! All in all well done to the team!

1  Thank Caryn F
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We visit this restaurant on a regular basis. This is not the type of restaurant with 400 different meals on one menu. What you will find is a well planned and well executed menu with a choice between 2 or 3 starters, mains, and deserts. The menu is changed on a regular basis. The wines are excellent ... Be sure to ask Charl for his recommendations. This is adult dining at its best. The quality of the food is excellent.