The Blades Hotel
Illyria House(Pretoria)
US$248
US$213
Agoda.com
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$65
US$118
US$114
Travelocity
All reviewsteam buildinglower deckyear end functionpicnic basketmeeting roomgreat conferencebeautiful venuespecial thankscity liferooms are beautifulkeep up the good workattention to detailexcellent servicethank you so muchhome away from homejodidam
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We recently enjoyed a night at The Blades and found it to be a wonderful escape from Jo’burg without the stress of a long drive. The rooms were elegant and comfortable with a great sense of privacy and the views over the dam made it feel like a country retreat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Blades made my husbands birthday dinner truly special. From sun-downers and snacks on the deck to a lovely 3 course dinner in the cozy lower deck. All our guests commented on what a beautiful place it is, and on how professional the service was. We truly felt like VIP's and to top it all of the food was amazing!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our second visit to the blades on the 21-23 March. On our first visit we had a great experience-room was great and clean. I think we stayed in Room 1
However on our second visit in March our room was not that great Room 3, burn marks on the carpet, the net on the 4 poster bed had dead insects on top, dust on the furniture.
They need to replace the couch it is soo uncomfortable. The rooms have a great layout and big.
Dinner-we ordered room service-food was not that bad,
Breakfast-slow service, table cloth dirty & food not great at all. We settled for toast and tea.
Also not very quite-the hotel is next to a rail road-so there is a goods train that goes past early morning which may disrupt your sleep.
They can def improve though.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was lucky enough to be spoiled by my partner on my birthday morning; A surprise picnic at The Blades!

The staff had set up a beautiful picnic spot (complete with blanket, pillows, and a large freestanding umbrella) overlooking the gorgeous dam. We were spoiled with a huge basket full of delectable items; Croissants (chocolate AND traditional!), crackers & a variety of gourmet cheeses, smoked salmon, avocado, muffins, cured meats, fruit, muesli with yoghurt and a berry compote and much more!
The staff were excellent; They looked after us enough so that we were not waiting around for them, but just enough so that they didn't interrupt our romantic time too much.

Thank you to the staff for helping to make my birthday such a memorable one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend a weekend away at the Blades and I had a marvelous time there. The rooms are new, clean and modern and I found them very comfortable. We had an excellent dinner at the restaurant. I recommend their steak special. They have a lovely outdoor deck overlooking Roodeplaate dam, perfect for sun-downer cocktails. I didn't know this but a Blade is the name of the oar that rower's use. I can safely say I had an oar-sum time!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple