“Great spot!!”

Nkwe Pleasure Resort
Ranked #71 of 126 things to do in Pretoria
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I often like get out of the city on weekends and braai (BBQ) in the bush. Nkwe is a beautiful spot next to a waterfall and natural swimming hole. The area has great shady spots under the trees and you can set up your picnic blakets and camp chairs on the beautiful lawns. I especially love that you are not allowed to play music here and this allows you to enjoy nature at its best. The swimming hole has two ledges that you can jump off, one about 3 meters high and the second about 8 meters high. Ablutions facilities are clean and Braais (BBQ spots) are provided. Overall it is a great place just 20 min from PTA.

6  Thank savistor
in 5 reviews
"trees"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 30 November 2012

When I called them, the totally unprofessional and disrespectful telephone manner by the male person who answered the phone, should have been a warning bell.

The place itself is OK - nice grassy lawns, that are obviously well cared for, and a few (not many that I could see though) nice big trees. Other than that, everything there looks a bit old and weary.

I had to speak to this person called 'Andre', who is the handyman (a handyman tasked with interfacing with customers?). Their 'office' is in a dilapidated, stripped out old caravan. When I wanted to pay for my stay, I was promptly informed that they only "take cash, paid in advance", no credit or debit cards (that from a place close to a major city). I was R100 short in cash of the amount I had to pay, but offered to pay what I had then, with the remaining R100 that same afternoon, before sunset (I was going back to town to pick up food supplies, that I did not have space for in my small car, and would draw cash on the way back, no problem). That was not acceptable to Andre. Full payment, in advance!

I also got the impression that gruff Andre was going to tell me where, on what spot, I may pitch my tent, despite the fact that the place was empty (it was middle of the week, in their defence). Usually, when a campsite is not full and it is not peak period, one can pick your own spot, not have it picked for you.

Then, because my car was really packed to the brim, I asked if I may pitch my tent so long and leave some of my stuff in the tent - at least with it out of the car's boot, there would be space for some groceries. No, full payment, in advance! I was treated to feel that I am trying to con him out of a R100.

This Andre person was expecting me to drive back all the way (about 25km) back to town, with my car full, draw another R100, and come pay him, before he would give me access to the park. I was just thinking - if you are that insecure about R100 in your life, then it must be going bad for you?

So I left to go get the R100. They are still waiting for me to return...

(I ended up staying at another campsite near Pretoria, that charged 50% than Nkwe).

18  Thank Jesse_Rowe_ZA
Reviewed 15 November 2012

One of the best places I've gone to just to chill. Recommended for anyone in PTA. Fun for kids to swim...students to jump off a cliff and the adults to braai...have a beer and spend some time with family and friends. It's the best and can't wait to go again

1  Thank Carli B
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Awesome place to relax with friends and family! Feels like your far away from the city even though it's just 20min from Pretoria.

3  Thank TrouVrou