“Great location, friendly service”

Sheraton Pretoria Hotel
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, friendly service”
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a tour group. I found it very comfortable and a great location. Rooms were great size and facilities, staff were welcoming and friendly. Service in restaurant a tad slow, but it is Africa!! :)

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DevotedTraveller66
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear DevotedTraveller66,

Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with us. I'm delighted to know that you and your family had a pleasant stay at the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel and found all very comfortable. It's always great to know that the rooms, facilities and friendly staff made a good impression on one of our valued guests.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Pascal Fouquet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Hotel is quite nice overall. Rooms are a decent size, comfortable bed, particularly nice shower and bath (separate). Not located in a particularly safe part of Pretoria, so follow appropriate safeguards when venturing out (don't go alone, don't carry large amounts of cash, don't wear expensive clothes and accessories that will get attention). The buffet style offerings they had were generally fine, but the bar type food offered in the lounge is subpar. Service is cordial, but quite slow. Only hotel that I've stayed in Pretoria, so I don't know how others would compare, but its not an "upscale" property.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the adjacent park is the best bet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Chuck C,

Thank you for your review with detailed information. I’m sure the safety measures you mention might be applicable to most foreign Countries and it’s always good to be made aware of the extra precaution that should be taken when travelling.

I’m glad you found the buffet acceptable and I regret that the type of food served at the bar did not meet with your approval. Thanks for making us aware of the service being pleasant but quite slow. I wish to apologise for the slow service and inconvenience experienced as a result, but would like to assure you that your review enables us to take corrective measures to prevent a recurrence and refine on-going training efforts.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

First off Gladness, the waitress on Sunday 7 July 2013 was AMAZING and SUCH a good ambassador for the Sheraton Pretoria. My mother is in a wheelchair, and Gladness went out of her way, without being asked, to make things easy and pleasant for my mother. At one stage my mother asked her if there is a pharmacy nearby, and she returned a few minutes later with all the contact info of this pharmacy. Godfrey, another waiter, walked past us and asked in Afrikaans, our language, and in the friendliest if he could bring us anything else. We were so impressed as he wasn't even our waiter. I must tell you, it was SUCH a breath of fresh air to experience friendly and efficient employees in South Africa, as those are very few!!
We had such a wonderful meal!! Thank you!! I am a HR Manager and would love to get into the Sheraton & Starwood Hotels Group, as you are doing something right with your employees! Well done!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ElleGee007
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear ElleGee007,

I’m delighted to know that you have enjoyed your meal, the excellent background music and wonderful ambience in the restaurant on Sunday and appreciate your review to the effect.

Most of all I would like to thank you for your kind words of appreciation for the excellent service provided by Gladness and Godfrey. We always commend staff for going the extra mile to ensure a memorable experience for all our valued guests.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel.

Hoylake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We enjoyed our one-night stay at this hotel. Our room was a good size and well furnished. We found the staff pleasant and helpful at all times, although the check-in was rather slow and seemed a bit disorganised. British Airways had lost my luggage but the staff provided me with a full set of toiletries and a free golf shirt within minutes of my mentioning it.

The bar snacks are pretty good and we had very good steaks in the restaurant.

Prices might be high by S A standards but if you're a Brit and used to London prices, it's very good value!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear OtistheBlackCat

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. It was such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, the snacks at the bar and your meal in the restaurant.
We were sad to hear that you had lost your luggage and hope that you managed to recover it. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay at check-in.
We look forward to welcoming you back for you next visit to Pretoria and hopefully you will get a chance to stay a little longer to enjoy all that the hotel has to offer.

General manager
San Salvador
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Sheraton Pretoria is modern hotel near many embassies and government buildings in Pretoria. The standard room is a bit smallish in comparison with similar properties in South Africa. To my surprise, the amenities in the room were not par to other Sheraton Hotels in the US, Canada or Europe. The quality of the amenities (soap, shampoo, etc.) to the condition of the towels (need replacement) left a not so memorable impression. The free internet service was acceptable, yet it took a while to connect. The breakfast buffet was very good, with a great variety of options, including fresh fruits, cured meats, cheeses and omelet bar. I have to say the bartender was attentive and the wine special (about 30Rands per wine glass) is a great deal, nonetheless, ordering food from the bar menu was mission impossible. The chicken salad was not tasty and the quality of the chicken was literally cut from some day-old piece of chicken in the kitchen. The bartender and the chef did apologize for the bad quality of the food and on their second attempt to prepare the chicken salad, they got it right. The check-out was slow and perhaps, the management might want to increase the personnel during the morning rush. Aside from all these mishaps, the Sheraton Pretoria is good location for a short visit to Pretoria.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank martinae94
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear martinae94,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel as you’re preferred accommodation while visiting Pretoria. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well as the wine during our Social Hour.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced with the food and the slow service at check out. We greatly appreciate that you chose to share your experiences. You exact detailing will contribute to our on-going efforts to improve our services and ensure that we provide our guests with the service & products they deserve and rightly expect for the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel

We look forward to welcoming you for your next visit to Pretoria.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in December and I must say I was a little underwhelmed. I had always been at the Sheraton for meetings etc but had never stayed there. The service was below par and the setup at the reception coupled with slow service means you are left standing waiting for long periods. On top of that the hotel was very inflexible with a late checkout of one hour, initially refusing, then accepting, then later informing me on the invoice that it was not possible. The rooms were standard upper class chain hotel rooms, although the price was well below what I imagined for a hotel I had heard such rave reviews about. Of course the hotel has a fantastic view of the Union Buildings and is still a cut above the other chain hotels around Pretoria. The underground parking is very convenient but at quite a cost. Not a bad experience, perhaps I expected too much.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear DopeyMo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the view of the Union Buildings.

I am sorry to read that the hotel did not live up to your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced at our Front Office with regards to the slow service and the late-check out. We very much appreciate your comments as such feedback gives us the opportunity to recognize the areas the needs improvement on our side.

I sincerely hope to have you return for another stay in order for us to reflect a new perspective of outstanding Sheraton guest hospitality.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is one of the grand business hotels in Pretoria. It is guaranteed to impress your clients or associates when they visit. Decor is grand Tuscan Villa luxury, and the service is impeccable.
Prices for room service, breakfast, drinks, and spa services are totally absurd though. Expect to pay over R200 per person for breakfast!!!! There is a MacDonalds two blocks away, and the view is toward the Union Buildings, so its really not a bad location. Rooms are quiet and the stay is relaxing and refreshing. I stayed for 5 nights, and it was a most enjoyable stay.
Each room has an iron and ironing board, as well as a lovely desk to work at.
The Lavazza coffee machine in each room is a special treat, with a lovely aroma and the perfect cuppa to begin the day.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear AK,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such an amazing review. We really do appreciate it and more importantly the fact that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much appreciate your comments with regards to the prices as such feedback gives us the opportunity to recognize the areas that affects our guests satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in hopefully not too distant future.