“Good Restaurant Service”

Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good Restaurant Service”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Was on a business trip in Pretoria. I must applaud the Restaurant staff. They were very friendly and professional and the manager very hands on and in control of the restaurant. The food can be improved upon, but as a whole I really enjoyed the my meals. The bar service was good, although a bit more expensive than expected. I will however return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Amelia G,

Thank you for posting such positive comments and commending the staff for their great service. I’m glad you enjoyed your meals and are looking forward to your return.

Pascal Fouquet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I enjoy having business meetings or events hosted at the Sheraton,the hotel is classy even though sometimes it tends to be overcrowded. The business lunch meals are just OK but social events meals are always opulent "master chef style". Parking is a challenge when there is a large business/event. The location is central and immediately or facing the Union Buildings with its majestic gardens and the newly erected Nelson Mandela statue. The reception staff is very client focussed and recommend this hotel forva business traveller or holiday maker wanting to explore the Jakaranda City.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Koki80,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, providing us with your valuable information that highlights areas for improvement.

Please be assured that your concerns have been discussed with the relevant managers and measures put in place to prevent a recurrence. We are keeping a closer eye on parking for group events so as not to inconvenience anybody.

Bungay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed for our first two nights of a tour of SA and Namibia so it was an easy way to acclimatise ourselves. The hotel is large and feels quite luxurious and the rooms are very good - we went for a room facing the Union Building. We had hoped to be able to walk to a few restaurants in the evenings - we know this is not the 'done thing' in large towns & cities in SA which is a pity as this just adds to the climate of anxiety for those who do venture out. As it happens we could not find anywhere to eat within easy walking distance so we decided to eat at the hotel. The options were either a buffet or the bar menu (described as 'a la carte'). I really don't like the idea of staying at a good hotel and then having to help myself at a buffet bar for dinner but fortunately the bar menu was perfectly OK with Club sandwiches and Pizzas and the staff were friendly so eating outside on the terrace was fine.
My only slight gripe was that the pool terrace was taken over by a private party on one evening so it was out of bounds for the rest of the hotel guests.
All in all it was what you would expect for an international quality hotel chain - clean, spacious and with reasonable service. Probably not the best value but a good, safe option.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lee H
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Lee H,

Re: Difficult to find fault – but a proper restaurant would improve things

As a valued guest your comments is valuable to us and I want to thank you for taking the time to post such detailed information. I understand that the restaurant options were not what you have hoped for and want to apologise that the a la carte menu was not presented to you as an alternative choice. Please be assured that your concerns were addressed with the restaurant manager in order to improve service delivery to an optimum level.

I’m glad you enjoyed the meal outside on the Union Terrace and it’s a pity that the pool terrace was occupied by a private party at the time. I hope next time you visit, you’ll be able to enjoy the spectacular view from the pool terrace.

We are looking forward to your return.

USA and South Africa
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at this Sheraton for the first time last week, for 4 nights on business. My room was comfortable and had a nice view out over the pool area and beyond. Nice for sunset (when I got to see it). It was a bit loud 2 of the nights I as there, as the music from the parties downstairs on the terrace was radiating and booming up to my room (on the 3rd floor). Luckily the parties ended by 10:30PM, but next time I would try to get a higher floor. The bed was comfortable, the free Wifi worked well, the TV was adequate, and the bathroom and amenities were all fine. My room had a coffee maker with pods that you insert in the machine. This was good for coffee, but (although they provided tea bags) quite difficult for making tea as the water still comes out tasting of coffee even after several flush-throughs without a pod inserted. There was a mini-bar, but it was locked with a wire around it, so I did not check it out (for fear of being automatically charged if I opened it, as happens in some hotels I know). I have to agree with other reviewers, however, about the hotel's food -- especially as we all (my colleagues and I) live in South Africa, the land of excellent food at an excellent value! My colleagues and I were shocked at the price of the breakfast buffet ($23), and I was distinctly under-whelmed by its quality the one time I opted for the full buffet. The "hot" food was mediocre, and not really hot. I did not have time for a special-order omelet or eggs, although this would no doubt have been tastier than the less-fresh food on the buffet. The continental option (still pricey at $16) was ok, with a selection of cold cuts, breads and cakes, yogurt, cereals, and fruit. The fresh croissants, I will say, were to die for, both days I had them. There was no a la carte option for breakfast, so these were our only options. As the hotel is not very close to anything and the neighborhood is a bit "iffy" (we were told), my colleagues and I opted for food in the casual bar area a couple of nights, but the choices and quality were sub-par....I had a sad and wilted Caesar salad with chicken one night, and a very dull, bready toasted sandwich another. There were not many fresh or healthy seeming choices on this menu (I would have loved some stir fried veg, a non deep-fried fish option, etc) unfortunately. Quite disappointing, and not cheap. We had very nice and friendly servers in the restaurants, but it was not very quick in the bar area or sitting outside (as noted by other reviewers). My other minor complaint about the hotel is the gym. It may not get much use, so is not prioritized by management, perhaps. The gym is quite small, with only 2 treadmills (one of which was broken during my whole stay), one stepper machine, 2 rickety bikes, and some weights. I could make do with this, but it could be better, for such a large hotel (and I imagine it can get quite overcrowded, if more than 2 people are using it at once). I will likely be staying at this hotel again in the near future, and really hope there can be some improvements to the food options, and that the treadmill gets fixed! It could be a great place to stay, with some attention to these things.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor, to avoid the street noise and party noise from the terrace
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JLiss
Dear JLiss,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor. We genuinely value our Guest’s comments and regret when their expectations are not met. We understand your disappointment with the overall restaurant experience, especially when you were not presented with an a la carte breakfast option. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Your comments about the gym are noted and you’ll be happy to know that the treadmill had been fixed. Kindly be advised that the mini bar is kept locked as a precaution and you may make use of it at no extra charge. We’ll be happy to assist you in opening it on request.

We are looking forward to your return, allowing us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service your expect and deserve.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This Sheraton treats SPG preferred guests really well - with the entire package of welcome gifts and snacks in rooms and complimentary snacks. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room was clean with classy interiors and I thought their breakfast selection was splendid. Definitely a great place to stay if you're in Pretoria.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NatStaN49022
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear NatStaN49022,

Re: Excellent place to stay if in Pretoria

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and the great feedback you have posted. I really appreciate the comments that you have shared, especially commending the staff for their dedication.

We certainly look forward to your return.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Sheraton mostly offers a predictable level of service and quality (something I greatly value while traveling) and whereas it never offers a stellar experience, one knows beforehand what to expect. Therefore, the room is impeccably clean, has sufficient amenities, and when things go awry those are dealt with relatively speedily and efficiently. So when the aircon did not work it was fixed quickly, when a bedside light switch broke, same story.

But the food! Breakfast offered a buffet that was okay-ish (at best, okay maybe I am too generous now, it was mediocre), but the charge was outrageous compared to the low quality! Dinner was the most pedestrian buffet ever and so shockingly overpriced that I settled for the bar menu (served in the restaurant) that was as overpriced. The quality of the food was poor, I cannot say better. After ordering a dish I had to wait for a full 50 minutes (the entire restaurant only had two other tables apart from myself). Sitting with fatty hands after having to peel overcooked, deep-fried prawns, every single restaurant staff member managed to be gone for a full 10 minutes. Upon their return I had to walk over to them to request a finger bowl.
As for drinks: selling a R40 bottle at R180...

Fair is fair, so even though is one I likely may not return to, I want to commend the bar staff for speed, efficiency and an all-round professional attitude. But towering above all was the female staff member working in the evening on Feb. 23 and 24 at the front desk. After checking in and experiencing her professionalism myself, I had to wait for a colleague while standing close enough to witness her treatment of several other guests: I can only hope she is on a fast track for career advancement at Sheraton, as it is richly deserved.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank FDanvers
Dear FDanvers,

Re: Good room, terrible food

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s regrettable that your restaurant experience did not meet your expectations, but you’ve provided us with valuable and detailed information that highlights areas for improvement and I thank you for that. I would like to offer you an apology for the inconvenience experienced due to the service issues you mentioned.

Please be assured that your concerns have been discussed with the managers concerned and measures put in place to prevent a recurrence.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel has nice interior design and beautiful rooms and is defently worth a visit. Disappointing were the Health Club, which looks just like one of the stores in town and the breakfast which is highly disappointing, especially when considering that its that expensive!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Flo Z,

Re: Beautiful rooms, disappointing breakfast

Thank you for posting comments from your visit with us. It’s disappointing that the breakfast was not what you expected and I regret that we were unable to address your concerns prior to your departure. Your comment regarding the Health Club is noted. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences in future.