“Averge but comfy....”

Ranked #24 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Averge but comfy....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

A very averge hotel. Suitable only for a one or two night stay. Small but clean room and a comfy bed. Spent one night at this hotel with my partner- a little over priced in my opinion. The bathroom was tiny. The hotel situated in a noisy area with a club around the corner, we were on the forth floor and could hear all the noise.

• Stayed September 2013
PH-Hatfield, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear SandraLiza

Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay here on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused as a result of the noise from the night club in the area. We have fitted all rooms with double glazed windows and I am engaging with the authorities to permanently address the problem.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us and will be used to improve our Service and product offering to our GUESTS where possible.
Regards
Etienne Potgieter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was good, very good and it was worth every penny. It's a true 3 star hotel with all the amenities one would require and it was clean with no mess insight. I came here with my wife and had an amazing time there. There was shops and restaurants in walking distance. So we didn't feel like pressured into thinking that the restaurant in the hotel was the only option we had when it came to food.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Kogoshoko
PH-Hatfield, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Kogoshoko

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I should, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to hear that you had an amazing time whilst staying with us!!.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Hatfield and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards

South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

The staff at the front desk are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious. There are shops and restaurants close by and an ideal venue for business travel. However, the hotel is situated near a club which plays extremely loud music every night from 10:30 until 4 am. This means that it is impossible to sleep here before 4 am.

Room Tip: All rooms are affected by the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SouthAfricaTraveller
PH-Hatfield, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear SouthAfricaTraveller

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your stay at The Protea Hotel Hatfield on TripAdvisor.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor sleep quality you experience at our hotel as a result of the Night club in the area. All rooms on the Hatfield Square side of the Hotel have been fitted with double Glazing, and I am surprised to hear that your sleep quality was affected. I will address the matter immediately with the Night Club and also double check our rooms to ensure that all window seals are in place and that there has not been any compromise of the soundproofing qualities of our Double Glazed windows.

Bellinzona, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

I went to Pretoria for a visit of an embassy.
The hotel location is very close to the embassies zone, so it was perfect for my purposes.
In any case, I found out that the hotel zone was really nice, sure and with many shops and restaurants.
The transfer from Johannesburg airport was organized by the hotel and it was payable (450 ZAR).
I stayed in a double room, which was as per my request on the 6th floor. The room was always very clean.
At the 3rd floor there is a nice restaurant, food at the hotel was really good-quality even if much more expensive compared to the closest restaurants.
From every floor you can have a nice panoramic view of the area.
WI-FI was free and worked perfectly also in the room.
Staff was always friendly.
This is a 3 star hotel, the relationship between quality/service and price was really good. I can certainly recommend this hotel if you plan to visit Pretoria.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Monica L
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here for two weeks on business and it was okay. The location was good for me as it was only a 10 minute walk to work and there is a large selection of food outlets nearby and the hotel is also directly opposite the Hatfield Plaza where there is a supermarket and loads of other shops. The Gautrain is also about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, so you definitely can’t fault it for location.

Check in was fine, really friendly chap and none of the issues that previous reviewers have noted. None of the staff seemed ‘confused’. The room was a little on the small side and I was expecting a fridge in the room, so if you are staying for as long as I did, then that might inform your choice as for me, I like to have somewhere to store water and other perishables and room temperature just doesn’t do it. So next time I should check before I book. I didn’t find it noisy though, but my room was facing the rear of the hotel. Wi-Fi was fine as well with a decent enough speed. Occasionally it dropped out here and there but never for extended periods of time, so that really was a bonus.

The restaurant was fine and the breakfast more than enough to satisfy you. I was put off by the buffet when I came down for dinner one evening as it didn’t look that appetising, but then again, I did come quite late, so that was my own fault really. However there was one evening when I was working in my room and just wanted a plate of food to snack on while doing some work without having to ‘make an effort’ to have a sit down meal. There is a sign in the restaurant that says you can’t take food into the rooms, which I can understand if you have had your dinner in the restaurant and then want to take more food away with you, as that’s just out of order. But I was happy to pay full buffet price for a plate instead of sitting in the restaurant and the lady I spoke to was very staunch in that I wasn’t allowed to do this as it was hotel policy. I countered that with it’s fine to bring in fast food from outside, so it can’t be a hygiene issue and she just said nothing after that and ignored me. Which I thought was very rude. And in addition to that policy, you won’t be surprised to know that there is no room service either.

I noticed on a number of occasions there were live and dead cockroaches in the corridor leading to the rooms. I never saw any in the room itself, but it’s slightly disturbing in that regard. If that is an issue, then I can understand the policy in the previous paragraph to a certain degree, but it still remains that you can bring your own food in from outside. And I don’t know of any hotel that doesn’t allow any food in the room as it wouldn’t be in business for very long, so still a little confusing.

The laundry service was very efficient and clothes collected in the morning were returned in the evening. Again, on my penultimate night, I got a call from reception asking me how many socks I had put in to the laundry in the morning as she was arguing with housekeeping about how many there should be. That was my fault as I put in 5 and a half pairs and she though it should be 6. I explained that my socks are pretty much all the same so I don’t have to worry about them being mismatched when I throw one away when it’s got holes in. She took this in good spirits and my laundry was delivered minutes later.

Towards the end of my stay, I found that when I returned to my room at the end of the working day that the aircon would be on, which is fine. However, the temperature that the housekeeping staff set the unit to run at was very varied! On my penultimate night, I came back to find the room like a sauna and that the unit was set to 30 degrees. The few nights preceding that, it was set to aircon and at 16 degrees which is way too cold. And on the days before that it was mainly set at 23 degrees, which was fine. So I’m not sure what was happening there.

On the final day of my stay (I had arranged a late check-out as I was on a night flight to my next destination) a number of things happened. First of all, my key card didn’t work when I tried to get into my room (not a massive drama). Secondly, it was about 1430 hrs when I got back to the room (left at 0800 hrs) and the room hadn’t been made up. Thirdly, I put up the Do Not Disturb sign and half an hour later, I got a knock on the door from one of the staff asking me when I was checking out. So ignore the sign on the door (could have called instead?) and secondly, not be aware of when I was checking out which accounts for the first two points. At 1725 hrs, I got a call from reception telling me that my lift to the airport had arrived. So I went downstairs to check out and after we had cleared the bill arrangements, I asked where my lift was. I was told that nobody had come. I explained that I had a phone call from reception telling me the opposite and she denied any knowledge of this. So I popped outside the hotel, spoke to one of the drivers, who happened to be my driver and he told me that he had already been in and asked for them to call me to tell me he had arrived. I rescind my earlier mention in the second paragraph that the staff were not confused.

So a disappointing end to what was an okay stay and on reflection, I am going to downgrade that to just below average. There’s not much else I can say really as there was nothing outstanding that I could point to which would put it ahead of other hotels and similarly nothing totally bad that puts it behind other hotels. I do think a fridge in the room would be a good idea as there is a space in the corner that it would fit in. And I also think the policy about taking food from the restaurant needs addressing too as well as the cockroaches of course. Which should be the first issue to address!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Crouching_Hippo
PH-Hatfield, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Crouching Hippo
Thank you for the constructive and comprehensive feedback you posted on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to us not providing room service, as well as for the few issues you experienced during your stay.
Your review will be discussed during our next Management meeting and corrective measure will be put in place where necessary to improve our service offering to our GUESTS.

Pest control efforts at the restaurant next to the hotel may have been the cause for the dead insects you witnessed in the passage during your stay with us. I have also witnessed these and subsequently had my own pest control company investigate the problem and we found that the source of the problem was indeed external. Nevertheless we sprayed the entire hotel as a precaution and no pests were detected.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed here the beginning of April with a friend who was teaching in the village schools. Had arrived late evening from Botswana. Had already been charged on credit card for two nights. They could not find our reservations , were fully booked and sent us to another hotel around the corner. We had to pay there for the night. Protea Hatfield found our reservations the next day which had been through Expedia. The hotel manager said due to the confusion they would give us a comp dinner and breakfast. She never relayed that to the dining room. They would not give receipts. They have overcharged us for two nights, two meals and still claim that the manager did not tell us we would have comp meals. They claimed that the one refund which was not equal to what we had been charged was what we were to receive. I am reporting this to the corporate office and putting it on for all to see on Facebook, etc. These people kept giving different quotes each time I have exchanged emails. Do not let Delta air refer you to Expedia for reservations with this hotel. We have very good results with Grosvenor Gardens Fair City in Pretoria Hatfield. I am having to deal with this from the US.

Room Tip: Do not believe these people when they say they will give you a comp dinner or meal because they misp...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
PH-Hatfield, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear MaryKD

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result of your booking not reflecting in our system upon arrival. After follow up and investigation the following morning we managed to find the details of your booking and you were accommodated at our hotel.

We have been in contact with you via email and have given you a detailed breakdown of all charges and these have been balanced back to your credit card expense statement. Due to exchange rate fluctuations these amounts converted at today’s rate may not necessarily be the amounts you paid on the day.

As you were invoiced by Delta airlines and accommodation paid with the airline, we are unable to offer you with an invoice for the accommodation part of your stay, however I will forward you the additional expense receipts via email and be in contact with you to discuss further.

Regards
General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Pretoria hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip. The receptionist, bar and security staff were all very friendly and helpful which helped give the place a warm, homely feel. Check in and check out were both efficient. As others have stated, the entrance is rather hidden between an Italian restaurant on the one side and a Pizza restaurant on the other. The room was clean and sufficiently spacious with only minor issues (such as loose brackets and a rather sad looking wardrobe) letting it down. WiFi was freely available throughout the hotel. The location is right in the centre of the town with numerous (fast food) restaurants nearby. Being near to the university there are also lots of young people walking around which gives the area a relaxed feeling, even at night. The hotel bar is very small and as for the swimming pool, read 'bath tub', but both are adequate for a hotel of this size.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank The-Elusive-Thnith
PH-Hatfield, General Manager at Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear The-Elusive-Thnith

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor and please accept my sincere apology that your room had a few maintenance problems. I have discussed your review with My Management TEAM and we have implemented corrective measures to ensure that the maintenance of our rooms is monitored and repairs actioned immediately.

I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to the Protea Hotel Hatfield again soon!