“A magical 40th birthday party!”
Review of Illyria House

Illyria House
Ranked #4 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Centurion, South Africa
“A magical 40th birthday party!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

From the first hello you fall in love with this beautiful english colonial house with the most stunning gardens and little secret paths laid out with pebbles. The poolside is amazing and whether you swim or just drink a cocktail, it just makes you forget that you are in the city! Between leaves and tree branches you find the zen house where you can spoil yourself to a lovely massage. I had 26 of my closest friends and they celebrated with me an unforgettable evening! On the poolside everyone was chatting and relaxing while a jazz band played music. We were swept away to a different time and place. We had dinner at the house and the table was laid out with stunning roses, silverware, and lovely cotton napkins. We sat down to a lovely four course meal which was decided by myself and Marietjie. The butler's serving us, did everything with a smile! We had our own music and danced the night away. This evening I will remember for the rest of my life because they made a the memory. We had the Catherine Suite for the night and was greeted with a lovely breakfast. When we left the staff sang us a beautiful song, opened our motor doors and we left this breathtaking house, nothing was too much for them, just their best and even that made us feel like a King and Queen.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms in the main house but all the rooms are really good!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tanya_dt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 20 September 2011

It was with great surprise when I found Illyria House during my search for the perfect wedding venue. The venue was even more spectacular than the online photos.

It is the perfect venue for a smaller wedding and the romance, atmosphere and excellent service made our wedding day very special and memorable. Our guests was blown away and well impressed. Thank you Illyria House and staff!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank FriedaP
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I wanted a night 'fitted for a king' for my husband's birthday and Illyria House did not disappoint me. I don't have words to describe our wonderful night. Thanks to everyone - especially our butler - Precious.

Room Tip: Stunning and comfortable. Maybe the butler can fold away the blankets and take the scutter cushions...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marius700727
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I was lucky enough to stay at the Illyria house for two weeks while I was in South Africa for business. What a pleasure. The Illyria house and grounds created an ambience that made working long hours pleasant and enjoyable. The house has all the amenities needed to conduct business, but in an environment that is soothing, comforting, and relaxing. The food, the staff, the rooms, the service were all top notch. The freshly made to order food, the luxurious rooms and the personal service made us feel like VIPs. By the end of our two week stay the house felt like home and I was sad to leave.
We were lucky to find this wonderful hideaway. I have recommended the house to all my colleagues conducting business in South Africa. I hope I make it back some day for personal travel.
Illyria House made my trip to South Africa an incredible experience that I will never forget. Thank you Illyria House!

4 Thank hcforall
kampala
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I wish to warmly thank the great team at IIIyria guest house for the very wonderful stay I had while there on an official business trip. The house is equipped with beautiful Victorian furniture which makes one think you are living in the past times or taking part in some Victorian movie. There is a butler service for the meals with very handsome young and old men wearing white gloves and always willing to help and smiling. The rooms are fantastic! Very spacious, with very clean linen. There was a welcome drink with fruits and nuts on the table which was always kept replenished. Shower facilities and a bath tub if you wish to take a deep soak with bathing salts on the house. The very comfy beds with similar Victorian furniture are preprared for you each evening with a hot water bottle in case you are feeling cold. The cuisine...Oh! My!...Excellent! It was a great pleasure being treated like a 'Queen' which I was far from being. Thank you all for the wonderful hospitality, cuisine and pleasant environs at the guest house. I really felt very pampered and loved while there.There is a great family at IIIYRIA!
I wish that one day I go back...pray that I do!

Bravo! Keep up the good service!
Wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Room Tip: All rooms are good just depends on the view
6 Thank ladyKampala
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We were really lucky to find this place. You will never regret staying here. This is such a wonderful place to spend one day, a week, a couple of weeks...forever if I could! Rooms are so nice, spacious and comfortable. There is a beautiful garden and a tempered pool. And the best part of it is that you will just get the best service possible. Staff will make sure anything you need you get and they really cared it was that way. They put hot water bottles on our beds because it was cold. They would make any changes we requested to the food we ordered. they also have a permanent spa person so you can schedule any services whenever you need. This place is like a dream come true!

2 Thank Cecilia_MT
Ladysmith, South Africa
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We had filter coffee in the room, but nothing to make it with. Our loose carpet, had very big dirty stains on. No floating tank.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family