“Illyria House, Pretoria”

Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Illyria House, Pretoria”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

What an mazing magical evening. I held a party for my partner at this venue and we were treated like royalty. You would never think in a place such as Pretoria that you will be able to find a gem like this! Thank you Marietjie and staff, we'll do it again and again!

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. You’d feel like royalty sleeping here.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Anina488

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Costa Mesa Ca USA
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Our stay at the Illyria Estate was by far the most memorable of our journey! I enjoyed it so much that I am giving it a 10 and the Blue Train a 9!

We stayed in the Catherine Suite and it was the most beautiful room and rated as the most romantic in South Africa. Mount Nelson Hotel rated as #1 for the best high tea in the world, by UK, came in only #5.! That shall give you an idea how grand this suite was.

The owner and staff was definitely the most attentive and I praise Marietjie for her sense of detail and style. A definite must for your Bucket List!
Elizabeth du Toit

Room Tip: Every room is gorgeous in the Estate. We viewed all rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Elizabeth d
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Beautiful venue with superb service. Lovely high tea and relaxing spa facilities. Serene gardens and tranquil atmosphere. Great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Fuzzynuit
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at Illyria House for a week and had a lovely time. From the moment I walked into this wonderful house, throughout my stay, I was pampered by the staff. I stayed in the Salome suite, overlooking the gardens. The suite had a large French bed with a marbled bathroom and a little kitchenette. I enjoyed my own private table on the balcony where I had a delightful high tea one afternoon. The breakfast was a delicious spread of freshly baked pastries, cereals, yoghurts and a hot breakfast. I had dinner there one evening and the duck was very tasty and exquisitely prepared.

The hotel is well-located in a quiet neighbourhood on a hill-top. The swimming pool is in a picturesque setting and after returning from my work every day, it was wonderfully relaxing to cool down in it.

I will definitely return here when I am back in Pretoria for business.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Aldeburghmuso
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I read the reviews before I go ,but I really think that the place is not a "fairy tale " nor "palatial".
Not very good relation price- quality . Not a really good service . It is different kind of accomodation thats true ,but in Portugal we have "Pousadas de Portugal " much more beautiful,well tended and with better food and service !
If I ever go back to Pretoria I will not stay there !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Max_Luca_Porto
Marietjie v, Owner at Illyria House, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Kindly take note, Illyria House is not an ordinary Hotel. It is not the place for guests looking for a big viby modern hotel. It is a small charming manor house hotel - an intimate haven of privacy, peace and tranquility. We celebrate the elegance and romance of a time gone by. Furnished completely in antique furniture, with soft classical music playing in the background, Illyria House exudes an ambiance of refined "joie de vivre". We share with our guests a unique African colonial lifestyle experience. Situated in the heart of the old Colonial Capital and melting pot of our early and current historic and cultural heritage, all the monuments are a stone through away. The experience is enhanced by a wide choice of tours and the enjoyment of a private spa in Oriental style. We trust the information wll be of value to guests who are not sure of the destination.
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed at this place for a conference. It defied all my expectations of what the perfect business venue is. Instead of cold functionality we had palatial surroundings which fitted perfectly with our meeting objectives. The food reminded us of the supreme standards we should aim for. The service echoed perfection. Thank you for reminding us that work is also pleasure and enjoyment. life is too short not to use this venue for business meetings.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank ontwikkelaar
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Reviewed 9 March 2012

What a wonderful place, now I can say I lived in a fairy tale! Me and my husband spend a night at Illyria House after our wedding and we were amazed! I felt like princess! We were greeted by our own personal butler. He was wonderful, and he entertained us so much and anything we asked he answered and provided. We had a private dinner served at 20:00 with complimentary sparkling wine on our own patio. They served us as if we were in a movie…perfect. We had an entire suite for ourselves (which is bigger than our flat at the moment), with robes and slippers. We were like two little kids jumping around amazed by everything that they did. The experience that we had there was so peaceful and carefree. The service was impeccable, 5:30 coffee in bed with fresh scones and not just one each a whole basket full! Waking up there was a dream come true. We had tea out of real Royal Albert’s cups and ate a huge breakfast. The grounds there are really beautiful and peaceful; sometimes my husband had to remind me that we were in the middle of Pretoria and not in a period drama. The beautiful thing about Illyria House is the originality and the geniuses of it all. The beautiful piano, chandelier, dinner table, cutlery, carpets, chairs, gardens and swimming pool just gave it the perfect atmosphere. We were greeted by everyone and they sang us a beautiful song while we were driving away! I wish we could stay there again! I would recommend this place to anyone...actually everyone!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple