“Illyria transports you to another era”
Review of Illyria House

Illyria House
Ranked #13 of 74 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Enter Illyria and you enter a world of beauty.Every objet has been selected and put together with
a very discerning eye, add to this the beautiful gardens and magnificent pool area and you almost
do not want to leave.
Illyria has to be one of the most beautiful small hotels in the country.

Room Tip: For an oriental atmosphere - the annex For old world magic - the main house
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank lezanne r

Reviewed 23 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night during our honeymoon before boarding the blue train. Upon arrival we were taken to some tables and ordered to choose our evening meal! The food prices were extremely high. We were then taken through some overgrown vegetation whereupon we stumbled upon an algae covered pond. Sadly it was not a pond but the swimming pool. As I did not have my scuba gear I decided not to take the plunge. We were then taken through a bush into an outbuilding contains some bedrooms. Our room was small and the bed and furnishings looked like they had seen better days, probably several decades ago. The room was dusty and smelt damp. We would have liked to make ourselves a cup of tea but upon checking we found that the sugar must have been put there when the hotel first opened. Happily there were some nibbles in our room. Upon putting one into my mouth my mouth was reminded of days gone by, indeed many days gone by since these nibbles had last come out of a packet. The evening meal was poor and took an eternity to be served. The whole place is tatty and dirty with a strange atmosphere. It is nothing like the website please do not be fooled. The blue train was amazing and soon made us forget this hell hole. If your travel agent tries to book you in here before the blu train plead with them to book you somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Illyria House hosted a very good friend of mines small wedding. The service, the table decor and the food (dinner) was exceptional. Most of the guests stayed over for the night. Some in the main house and others (including us) in rooms around the spa. There was a lot of building material lying around and it was quite noisy early the next morning. I was very disappointed because they made no effort with the bride and groom's room and the owner kept on quieting down the DJ even though the music was not that loud.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TrouVrou
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This Hotel is one of the most delightful destinations we have stayed in. The staff are pleasant,courteous and attentive, and Marietjie is a charming hostess. The Hotel has a unique appeal, being filled with beautiful antiques, and the food is exceptionally good. We loved the family of ducks, who without doubt reside at one of the most luxurious 'homes' they could possibly find! Very relaxing and Marietjie has a wealth of knowledge of the history of the area. An exceptional establishment with service harking back to a time of much more gracious living.

Room Tip: The outside rooms may be difficult to access by people with limited mobility.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Traveltwo42
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed at Illyria House as a group of friends who wanted to get away for the weekend. It was every thing we've hoped for and more! And the service! The staff made us feel at home and we even had tears in our eyes when we had to leave because the staff send us off with a beautifull tradisional song.

We had high tea (delicious), spa treatments (very good) and a wonderful evening meal with the stately dining room all to ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Marli S
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This was our third visit to Illyria House, and we were once again blown away. My husband and I went there to wind down after our safari in the Kruger and what a relaxing time we had. We stayed in the Catharina Suite this time, which overlooks the garden and has a lovely roll-top bath in the marble bathroom. We loved sitting on our little balcony and the one evening, we asked for a private dinner which Patience, our butler brought there especially for us. Everything was prepared to the very last detail, from the little nougats on our bed, to the delicate snacks before dinner. We are real foodies and the meals we had there, easily matches the menus in the restaurants of Gordon Ramsay and Raymond Blanc in the UK. The wine list was extensive and very reasonably priced. One new addition to Illyria House was the Thai massage therapist. She was quite amazing and I wished I could take her home with me. Unfortunately we couldn't enjoy the swimming pool and jacuzzi this time as it was quite windy during our stay. I am sure we will return to do that on our next trip to South Africa!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank greatexplorerLondon
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I spent 3 nights at Illyria House and I have to say, this was one of the most special places I have ever been to. I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews saying that Illyria House needs updating. The house was in pristine condition and as an art historian, I was amazed at the quality of the antique French and Italian furniture. Such a beautiful collection is rarely even found in European chateaus. Perhaps some of the previous reviewers do not quite understand that antique furniture is not brand new and cannot appreciate their rarity quality.

The house itself is and imposing place in Italian architecture that takes your breath away. The garden is beautifully maintained and such a pleasure to look at.

I enjoyed delicious meals and Foster, my butler heeded to my every whim and need. I loved the massage and the heated swimming pool with its classical underwater music was just magical.

Thank you, Illyria House for a most memorable experience!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Salome Suite with a lovely balcony overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo