“This delightful boutique hotel is the perfect choice if you want to indulge yourself.”
Review of Illyria House

Illyria House
Ranked #4 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I bought a Groupon voucher that advertised a dinner, bed and breakfast package with a full body massage. I had looked at Illyria House website and could not believe that I could get all of the above from the very reasonably priced voucher and I was amazed that the experience I had far out weighed any expectation of the advert - it was incredible!

The beauty of the marble flooring, antique furniture and the glorious brightly polished wooden floors takes the guest back to a colonial age where the stress and fuss of modern life is removed. My butler, Johannes, was beyond charming. He acted as a valet, parking my car (which was returned the next morning beautifully clean), porter, waiter and was nothing but polite friendliness. I was early for check in and was taken outside to the airy double volume veranda that overlooks a verdant garden that cuts the visitor off from any notion that they are in the centre of the capital city of South Africa. Most entertaining are a family of ducks which wander through the garden!

I was presented with a cooling drink before being shown to my room, the Elisabeth suite. It was a beautiful 2 bedroom suite with a modern kitchenette through one door and a spacious and delightful dressing room and bathroom through another. A lovely touch was the fresh fruit, nuts and sherry that had been left in the room, especially as I felt I was getting rather more than my Groupon voucher had advertised. In the bathroom, on a beautiful silver platter, was an array of lotions, bath salts and foam baths that tempted me to stay and never leave the room! Thank goodness for the convenience of air conditioning as Pretoria is very warm in the middle of summer but all the modern aspects, like TV and DVD player, are tastefully hidden in gorgeous antique wooden wardrobes.

It was late in the afternoon but the kitchen was more than happy to deliver a delicious chicken salad. On exploring the garden I came across the beautiful swimming pool. Every part of Illyria House has an invitation to sit down, put your feet up and relax. There are loungers under trees, surrounding the pool and in the veranda. The spa facilities are in the dark, cool shade of the trees and are almost invisible from the hotel to ensure quiet and privacy. And I can recommend the Thai hot stone massage!

Dinner was absolutely delicious, with the most wonderful service and and care taken with every detail. Breakfast echoed this and I found myself wishing that I could stay one more night.

I would highly recommend this hotel for those looking for old world charm and elegance with an emphasis on impressive personal service and attention to detail which is sadly lacking in the South African hospitality industry.

Thanks again to Mariekie and her team - I hope I am lucky enough to return soon!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank towerchick1981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I would like to know who rated this hotel 5 star and when this was last reviewed. I stay at a lot of places in my travels and I have had better experience at 3 star guest houses! Illyria House promises to be the best experience of your life, such a lie! I had the worst sleep in this place, the worst food and the worst possible experience away from my house. My 11 year old bed in my mother's house is more comfortable than the beds in this place. I have never had such an uncomfortable sleep. The linen smelt horible, I'm not sure if its supposed to be white... when was the place last cleaned??? Ohhh mu goodness I had to lay a towel I brought from home on the pillow just so I do not smell the stink on the pillows, they must have been bought when the place 1st opened. The place in in serious need of a renovation, it smels like mould and dust & breathing feels like you are taking in a disease from the air in the house.Mosquitoes feasted on us the whole night, My poor husband did not sleep a wink and this was meant to be a special day for him (I wished I could ask for my money back)!!! Ohhh My goodness lets not talk about the food, I almost suggested to my husband that we go out and get take outs after dinner, the food is disgusting, like it was cooked in dirty water-that's how it tastes! The breakfast is the worst, I didn't think anyone could mess up an egg untill I ate eggs from this house, horrible is an understatement. I don't even know what to say about this place. The massages were good (small mercies) even though the spa also smelt odd.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tashyka
Pretoria
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Illyria House is an experience you will never forget. Whether you stay overnight, or attend a function. The staff are amazing, the food exquisite. The venue is absolutely beautiful. I have been to Illyria in the past for wedding photos, dinner and spa treatments and I just had my birthday there on Sunday. It is amazing in everyway from the food to the accomodation, the staff and the spa.

6 Thank GinaWPretoria
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We recently spent a lovely morning at Illyria guest house where we were treated to a fantastic high tea for a friend's birthday. A large group of us were put in the dining room for the celebration while the staff filled cups and brought us wonderful pastries to eat. All in all, it was a great experience and Illyria is truly a remarkable place to visit. The decor and furnishings echo from the past and there are even a few friendly ducks who make their way into the house every now and again.

7 Thank Eugene v
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had a fabulous 'High Tea' experience, and I thought the place was wonderful, and the hospitality was second to none. The house definitely transports one to a bygone era, and the service was friendly, personal and attentive. Even though we only booked for tea, the staff and owner were happy to take us on a tour of the property, showed us several of the rooms and even let us take pictures in various locations. Everything was spotless, the wooden floors and stairs gleamed and the place is filled with a charming array of antique furniture and objects that add to the ambience. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Oriental Room is breathtaking and private, and the perfect place for a romantic break.
3 Thank Astrid W
Kempton Park, South Africa
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Dressed up in 1920's attire, a group of 7 young ladies attended the morning High Tea this morning. Well let me tell you this Hotel is breath taking, the antiques in this hotel are of another world, a time long before mine. The staff are super friendly. The tea was divine and the rooms for of victorian times and so so romantic! The garden is exquisite! All i can say is thank you! And for those snotty comments have no idea of class or appreciating old world!!

Room Tip: The oriental house is beautiful!!
3 Thank Michelle5953
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This was a special romantic day arranged by my wife for us before our holidays. We arrived and were not greeted, a waiter showed us to a table outside and threw the forms to fill out on the table. After 1 hour we were shown to our room, I was so disappointed with what greeted us, compared to the pics on the website this was not the same place. The bathroom had a green vinyl bath, not big enough to lie down in. The shower had a piece of wood as the roof, and the whole bathrooms were in cubicles with the toilet cubicle not big enough to move in. The whole area we were to be accomodated in looked and felt like a extension that hadn't been finished. We ordered coffee (this took 55mins) I then requested to see the manager and showed her the pictures we had seen in the website and asked where this was, we were informed it was in the main house, I then told the manager that we would not be staying there and wanted to be moved in to the main house. While this was going on the (butler) asked us what we would like for dinner!! At 3 o clock in the afternoon, I told them it was (as per the website) a 5 star A la carte menu and I would choose then, I was informed that we had to order now. We ordered and were then told our order was not available and had to choose something else!! 5 star and they can't provide what is on the menu or get it 4hrs before dinner. We were moved in to the main house (a room "became" available) this was better but certainly NOT what we expected! The food was good and there when we got our 2nd choice it was very good. My overall statement is this establishment is on its way down, scruffy, lack of maintenance and the service was very bad. NOT what you would expect from a 5 star boutique hotel. We were so disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012