“Abusive Reception Staff”

City Lodge Hotel Hatfield
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My business partner is currently staying in the City Lodge Hatfield, doing business in Pretoria. The rooms don't have direct dial numbers, so when I needed to call her to discuss progress, I had to phone reception and be forwarded to her room. A little out-dated, but not a huge issue.

The woman who answered my call on the first day was acceptable but apathetic. The man who answered my call on the second day was apathetic on my first call, but when the connection dropped and I had to ring back, he became incredibly rude - only routing the call after making it clear that doing so wasn't worth his while, and that this was a stupid thing to be asking.

An incredibly disappointing and unnecessary experience for such a vital requirement (with no other alternatives). This isn't a hotel to recommend for those that need the most basic of business amenities. They also only offer 15 minutes of slow WiFi each day, which is poor for business needs.

My (large) company won't ever be staying with this chain again - despite our regular working in this area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank displeasedbusiness
There are newer reviews for City Lodge Hotel Hatfield

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel was used as part of a sporting tournament that I was involved in. From the Road it looks a bit small and basic but this is deceptive as once you get passed the reception the hotel opens up and the rooms are fantastic as are the other facilities. My room was big and had all I required over my 8 night stay. The breakfast was great but they don't do dinners but there are so many restaurants close by. This is a great location and I would stay there again if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces the Road as Friday and Saturday nights are very noisy and I found it...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for one week for our training in our office based in Pretoria. Facilities are good; with nice pool, cafe and clean room. This is strategically located in the university area where there are also lots of place to eat, dine and shop. It is a 10 minutes walk to the office, thus very convenient. What makes it excellent is their hospitality and friendly atmosphere. Never had I encountered problems or issues with them. They are ready to assist and serve with a kind attitude. Generally I have observed this kind of attitude in the whole South Africa; from the baggers in the groceries, restaurant servers, etc.. they are all kind and nice.

I have been to many countries and South Africa is unique in that way.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel is in a decent location and staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean and reasonably sized. Rooms facing the Hilda Road side are a bit noisy but not overly so. the hotel is very business traveler oriented. Hotel is reasonably priced and decent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

What a refreshing change - hotel staff that really do go out of their way to be polite. At this hotel, they have taken their maxim "I am kind" to the ultimate. I felt that nothing was too much trouble - even in the busy hubbub of breakfast. The hotel cafe where I ate my supper was really nice. I chose a steak wrap which had the descriptor "spicy", but I was sadly disappointed as there was nothing spicy about the wrap. What there was, was delicious anyway - the steak was a bit too overcooked, but still tender. The breakfast was good and the coffee set me up for the day. All in all, a good place to stay in Pretoria if you are on business. If you are arriving by car, this hotel is situated in a one-way street and you will approach from Duncan street. The hotel is on the right and it is best to turn into the Fields Parking parking and arcade just before the hotel or you will have to double back around the block to park.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thanks so much for staying with us and for your generous review.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was my forth trip to Pretoria, South Africa but my first time staying in the Hatfield.
As I was going to be working in Hatfield I chose the City Lodge because it was one off the newer hotels in the area. The hotel was clean, had a very good breakfast buffet; easily accessible to many restaurants close by; a mall across the street, and within walking distance of where I would be working. That was the extent of what I considered the good points.
The staff seldom greeted me when entering or leaving the hotel. Probably the most disturbing issue to me was the wait staff during breakfast. Almost every morning during breakfast I would have to find a member of the wait staff to bring me coffee or clear the table. I have stayed in many different hotels through Africa and never received such poor service.
I will avoid this Hotel chain in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you liked our hotel and its location, but we are disturbed about your perception of our staff - we will look into this as friendlyand effective service is something we take pride in and focus on.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

This is my third stay at the Hatfield City Lodge and I always enjoy my time here. The staff are wonderfully courteous, always ready with a smile and salutation. Check in and out is easy. The rooms are perfectly proportioned for a business traveler - not too big, not too small. There is a nice desk and reliable internet (for a price). The bathrooms are clean, the bed is comfortable, and I appreciate the big windows that open on to the pool. The pool itself is on the small side, but serves its purpose, as does the fitness center. Both have been welcome ways to ease stiffness after long transatlantic flights. The hotel breakfast is excellent, with a large buffet to choose from. As other travelers have noted, there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby within walking distance. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The higher floors have slightly less noise from the Gau-train. I once stayed on the floor directly...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business