“Nice clean, safe hotel with good amenities”

City Lodge Hotel Hatfield
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I travel to Pretoria on a quarterly basis for work and this is a quaint, clean, well managed hotel. The staff are courteous, the breakfast is good and the gym and pool are adequate. The breakfast, while a little overpriced, is nice. I would recommend if you can get a good rate.

Room Tip: Make sure you request if you want a king or double bed. I was stuck with two singles, which isn'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chad S
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for the review. We're happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed the breakfast. We will look into the issue you have raised about the windows. We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm a frequent traveller to Pretoria. I have been to the City Lodge before and had a hard time sleeping because of the noisy street and people shouting in front of the building. So when I checked out, I asked for a quiet room for next time. When making the reservation for that visit, I again asked for a quiet room. When checking in, I again asked for a quiet room.
What I got was a room facing a discotheque down the road that was pumping with noise even during the week. I had a to finally give in and use earplugs the first night, which led to what I had dreaded - not hearing my alarm clock the next morning, sleeping in and missing a meeting. The next evening I wanted to change rooms, but they told me they were completely booked and I couldn't move until the next morning. That night, the club pumped their music until after two, then came the drunkards who were shouting beneath the windows. I finally found sleep at 3:30h.
As if that hadn't been bad enough, when I talked to the manager the next day, all she could come up with was that she was sorry, it shouldn't have happened and she would "follow up on it". If it would make me feel better: They are in the process of suing that club (which only tells me that they are well aware of the problem!). When telling her that I wouldn't be coming back to this hotel, all she said was that they would surely try to give me a quiet room next time, although of course she couldn't guarantee anything. As for the trouble caused, she said they have my mail and she would "think of something".
That is two months ago now. I never ever received even a note of "we're sorry", let alone an email or an offer for recompensation.

If you want to sleep (which should be possible in a hotel, really!) or feel like your concerns are taking seriously, stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: rather stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FinchenBonn
Reviewed 30 April 2014

stayed at there for 4 nights while attending a conference. Building is fairly new with nice architecture. Rooms are a bit on the small side. Our room was facing the main road and it was noisy, especially on Friday and Saturday evening and night with the mall and restaurants just across the road. The window did not close properly. Breakfast was good and generous, breakfast restaurant airy and light with access to the garden and pool deck. Staff friendly. Proximity to Gautrain, almost walking distance. Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road are noisy
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for four nights in i thought would b budget hotel. New, modern and clean. Has onsite restaurant nice outdoor pool terrace area and serves decent breakfasts. Free underground parking and wifi can be purchase from AllwaysOn. Got reduced rate by booking online. Its also possible to bid for weekend bookings at most of the four branded hotels in the chain.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jenny B
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My business partner is currently staying in the City Lodge Hatfield, doing business in Pretoria. The rooms don't have direct dial numbers, so when I needed to call her to discuss progress, I had to phone reception and be forwarded to her room. A little out-dated, but not a huge issue.

The woman who answered my call on the first day was acceptable but apathetic. The man who answered my call on the second day was apathetic on my first call, but when the connection dropped and I had to ring back, he became incredibly rude - only routing the call after making it clear that doing so wasn't worth his while, and that this was a stupid thing to be asking.

An incredibly disappointing and unnecessary experience for such a vital requirement (with no other alternatives). This isn't a hotel to recommend for those that need the most basic of business amenities. They also only offer 15 minutes of slow WiFi each day, which is poor for business needs.

My (large) company won't ever be staying with this chain again - despite our regular working in this area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank displeasedbusiness
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel was used as part of a sporting tournament that I was involved in. From the Road it looks a bit small and basic but this is deceptive as once you get passed the reception the hotel opens up and the rooms are fantastic as are the other facilities. My room was big and had all I required over my 8 night stay. The breakfast was great but they don't do dinners but there are so many restaurants close by. This is a great location and I would stay there again if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces the Road as Friday and Saturday nights are very noisy and I found it...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for one week for our training in our office based in Pretoria. Facilities are good; with nice pool, cafe and clean room. This is strategically located in the university area where there are also lots of place to eat, dine and shop. It is a 10 minutes walk to the office, thus very convenient. What makes it excellent is their hospitality and friendly atmosphere. Never had I encountered problems or issues with them. They are ready to assist and serve with a kind attitude. Generally I have observed this kind of attitude in the whole South Africa; from the baggers in the groceries, restaurant servers, etc.. they are all kind and nice.

I have been to many countries and South Africa is unique in that way.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business